quick idiot question

Busa Rookie

Banned
ok so, i was pouring gas in tank paying attention to the gauge not the tank, as it's full i keep pouring the gauge only reads half, keep pouring keep pouring then realise it's coming out of the run off through the bottom (didnt even se the gas to the brim)...
SO :banghead::banghead:

the bike was sitting 3 years & the sender must be gunked up... how can i fix it?
cleaner? or just use it??

I would run a couple of tanks through it and see if it frees up. If not replace.

PS: You do know it takes the unit awhile to adjust the reading right? Sometimes takes 3-5 minutes on mine to read full when I fill up.

yeah running it reads JUST above half with the gas right at the rim..
i'll do as suggested, it;s not a real big deal.. just something annoying

I think i'd want all my electronics/power off (KEY OFF) when I'm fueling....Gauge isn't going to be reliable for that purpose, and I'd be doing anything I could to prevent spark during fueling. Kinda like leaving the engine running when fueling a car...not so bright...

How the crap do you get the tank open with the key in the ignition? Aftermarket cap?

I just look in while she drinks so Ill know when to stop so she wont get drunk, just a nice buzz, shes more fun that way:laugh:

Rooster Rider007 said:
How the crap do you get the tank open with the key in the ignition? Aftermarket cap?

I just look in while she drinks so Ill know when to stop so she wont get drunk, just a nice buzz, shes more fun that way:laugh:

Probably just unlocks the cap and takes the key out. I remove the key so it doesn't rub the paint while the caps open.

Rooster Rider007 said:

I look inside while filling up too!!

Ride it 100 miles then refill looking into the tank while filling.
Ride it and see if the gauge reads any higher then it did the last time. REPEAT :laugh:

After 3-4 sessions if it hasn't moved then you will have to decide if you want to tear it apart or leave it like it is.

Good Luck

P.S. I think the fuel pump is not attached to the tank (you have a 2000, right?) like on my 04 so if just the signal unit (sender) is inside the
tank it shouldn't be to big of a deal to pull it out and and fix or replace as needed.
I'm sure many people on here could help you with that if you needed any help.

yeah 2000, i used a funnel/ gas can because it was empty from shipping it..

Well that explains why you couldn't look into the tank very well, and tried to use the gas gauge.

I assume that it is running now and that from here on out most of the time you will fill it at the gas station, right?

So ride it and make sure nothing else needs to be taken care of.

Does it have 11-12 year old tires, hoses, brake pads, brake fluid, coolant etc.etc.etc???

If it was sitting for 3 years or more I doubt that the previous owner did anything in the last 5-6 years or more.
Do yourself a favor and check everything out, if you can't, then consider taking it to a dealer. A couple hundred dollars
MIGHT save your life ! Hind sight is 20-20 right? Do you know what I mean? It's your bike, do what you want, just trying
to pass along some unasked for advice, forgive me....

I think i'd want all my electronics/power off (KEY OFF) when I'm fueling....Gauge isn't going to be reliable for that purpose, and I'd be doing anything I could to prevent spark during fueling. Kinda like leaving the engine running when fueling a car...not so bright...

Not many in the racing industry turn vehichles off during fueling such as indy, nascar etc

Not many in the racing industry turn vehichles off during fueling such as indy, nascar etc
Not be a smartass , but how many cyclist do you see filling their tanks in fire retardant clothing from head to toe and have buddies standing buy to put them out ???

You smoke while you filler up too right :laugh:

I would have to shake things up a bit. i thought it was a float unit , might be wrong :dunno:

Biggest danger is getting gas on ground and riding through the puddle. Had a bud I ride with sometimes ride into a shell station to fill up, puddle on ground, front wheel slips out from under him, he gets leg caught underneath bike, hot exhaust lights up puddle with him in it. Horribly burned, he is back riding today thank god.
Sheriff's Sergeant Burned, Critical - Sun Sentinel

As far as teh bike is concerned I would run a can of seafoam through the tank once a year to clean out any gunk in the fuel system.

yeah well i had the funnel in the tank, put tyhe key in & poured from can. so reguardless being stupid & potentially catching myself on fire, how can i fix the sender? there has to be something internal in the tank???

can i use stable or cleaner or just use the heck out of it.. i know old gas turns into mush & makes everything bind up

Back