How to drain off excess Oil

Rosso

Registered
Hi all,
I overfilled my busa with oil, by trying to guess it :/. Had no way of centering her while topping up the oil. It must be way over maximum.

Is it easy to drain off the excess oil? I do not have any tools, except what is under the seat. What do I need to do?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers

Rosso

Well, you need to put a bucket under the drain plug, remove the filler plug (on top where you add oil) and keep unscrewing the drain plug little by little until the oil starts coming out. Once you drain enough, re-tighten to whatever (IIRC 8 lb ft), wipe everything off, and you are good to go. Don't forget to put the filler plug back and tighten it.

To check oil level, I turn the handlebars all the way to the left, stand on the right side of the bike facing the rear of the bike, and pull the bike up with my right hand by pulling on the left handlebar whil at the same time using my body as a stopper so the bike doesn't fall. In my left hand, I hold a mirror with a handle (you can get on in any drugstore) along with a small flashlight. I hold my left hand low and position both the flashlight and the mirror in such a way that the flashlight illuminates the sight glass while the mirror perfectly reflects it so that I can see it. Takes all of 15 sec. once you get the hang of it. Once checked, I gently let the bike back on the side stand.

Reactions: Zee
your local autoparts store may have a suction bulb should gets most out or just unscrew the drain plug some and let it dribble out

Well, you need to put a bucket under the drain plug, remove the filler plug (on top where you add oil) and keep unscrewing the drain plug little by little until the oil starts coming out. Once you drain enough, re-tighten to whatever (IIRC 8 lb ft), wipe everything off, and you are good to go. Don't forget to put the filler plug back and tighten it.

To check oil level, I turn the handlebars all the way to the left, stand on the right side of the bike facing the rear of the bike, and pull the bike up with my right hand by pulling on the left handlebar whil at the same time using my body as a stopper so the bike doesn't fall. In my left hand, I hold a mirror with a handle (you can get on in any drugstore) along with a small flashlight. I hold my left hand low and position both the flashlight and the mirror in such a way that the flashlight illuminates the sight glass while the mirror perfectly reflects it so that I can see it. Takes all of 15 sec. once you get the hang of it. Once checked, I gently let the bike back on the side stand.

Wow, when i check my oil, I sit on the floor, grab the right handlebar and the seat and pull the bike toward me to balance while reading the level directly. Of course I am 6'4 with arms like an ape!

Wow, when i check my oil, I sit on the floor, grab the right handlebar and the seat and pull the bike toward me to balance while reading the level directly. Of course I am 6'4 with arms like an ape!
I'm a little guy and do the same. It's just a matter of easing it up to that balance point and taking a quick peak, stand up and ease her back down on the stand.

Back