Blowout now Tire size questions?

bigjack7679

Registered
So I was just leaving the house to go to a party. I mean I cleaned the bike up and thought I was hot stuff. I made it 1 mile from the house and POP goes the rear tire at about 30mph. Ran over something that put a hole in her. I had to power walk her home on the side walk :banghead: It was 101 degrees outside here in Texas and I just felt defeated. Finally got her home and got the tire off

So when I took the tire off I saw that it was a 190/55/ instead of the 190/50 that comes stock. Now I’m trying to decide what size tire I want to go back with. I Ride mostly all highway and very little twisties. I’m trying to figure out which size tire gives the most contact patch to the highway while riding straight up. I’m looking for High Mileage tires and think that the more contact patch I have for straight up riding is better. I have searched and searched and have gotten mixed reviews

So out of 190/50,190/55,200/50 and 200/55, which dimensions give the most contact patch for straight up riding on a stock 17 inch hayabusa rim. I would think a 200 series tire but some say that the tire will just bow out more and have less contact patch in the middle?
My choice for a 190 tire is the Michelin Pilot road 3. I’m undecided on a brand for the 200 series. Thinking Michelin commander 2 tires or the Avon storm 2

Avon AV56 Storm 2 Ultra Sport Touring Radial Rear Tire - Chaparral Motorsports
Michelin Motorcycle Tires

I know similar topics have been covered here but want to help get that Post count up. :laugh: All comments are appreciated? :thumbsup:

straight up and down, I think the 190-50 would have most contact patch between it and the -55. But I don't think you'd really notice. If just freeway riding, the brand/make/model of tire will be more important. BTW, 50s' are almost always cheaper and easier to get than -55's

You are going to get a safe tire size at one extreme and fatter size at the other extreme...not that you want a skinny tire. At some point the rubber will be near the chain. It is possible to get a ratio greater than stock.

Go with the 190/50 stock size. The 55 has a higher profile (the cross section of the tire is more rounded and higher) and will tend to make the bike roll into a turn a little faster. If you are not interested in the twisties, there is no need for the 55 tire. Some people who are really fast swear by the 190/55. Earlybrid is one of those that I know of and believe me he can put it to good use. I am running a 1" rise and tried the 190/55 and felt it was too twitchy for me so now I ride the 1" rise and 109/50 stock profile. Believe it or not going to the 55 even on a stock height bike is very obvious as far as turn-in.

Now, you did get some pictures of yourself power walking down the sidewalk in the 101 degree heat didn't you :laugh:

straight up and down, I think the 190-50 would have most contact patch between it and the -55. But I don't think you'd really notice. If just freeway riding, the brand/make/model of tire will be more important. BTW, 50s' are almost always cheaper and easier to get than -55's

ok Thanks for the info

Go with the 190/50 stock size. The 55 has a higher profile (the cross section of the tire is more rounded and higher) and will tend to make the bike roll into a turn a little faster. If you are not interested in the twisties, there is no need for the 55 tire. Some people who are really fast swear by the 190/55. Earlybrid is one of those that I know of and believe me he can put it to good use. I am running a 1" rise and tried the 190/55 and felt it was too twitchy for me so now I ride the 1" rise and 109/50 stock profile. Believe it or not going to the 55 even on a stock height bike is very obvious as far as turn-in.

Now, you did get some pictures of yourself power walking down the sidewalk in the 101 degree heat didn't you :laugh:

Thanks for the info. I wish i could have. The looks people gave me as they drove by were like, what in the World is he doing. 1/4 of a mile from the house i start to run at about 9 mph but my leg keep hitting the pegs. :laugh:

You are going to get a safe tire size at one extreme and fatter size at the other extreme...not that you want a skinny tire. At some point the rubber will be near the chain. It is possible to get a ratio greater than stock.

Thanks, I want to ride on the forth so i have to make my mind up fast

are you taking the bike in or just the wheel? you should save money by doing some of the work yourself. avoid getting ripped off just for a holiday week.

are you taking the bike in or just the wheel? you should save money by doing some of the work yourself. avoid getting ripped off just for a holiday week.

Oh Yeah, I watched a Youtube video and took it off myself. Wasn't hard when you have the tools. Glad my neighbor is a honda mechanic of 30 years and owns 2 BMW touring bikes. He has all the tools in the world. Didnt have any thing close to a 36 MM Socket. I need to get my own set though :banghead:

Thanks for the info. I wish i could have. The looks people gave me as they drove by were like, what in the World is he doing. 1/4 of a mile from the house i start to run at about 9 mph but my leg keep hitting the pegs. :laugh:

........When one "powerwalks" a motorcycle, are they sitting on it or walking beside it? ???

........When one "powerwalks" a motorcycle, are they sitting on it or walking beside it? ???

You are sittin on it and pretty much just using the power off the clutch to power the Bike. Imagine only running the busa as fast as you can walk or maybe jog. Your feet never leave the ground as if they are training wheels to keep the Bike up

My next high mileage tire is going to be Dunlop roadsmarts. I ride in all weather, and my cousin just retired his at 16k miles. Yes 16,000, he rides a sport touring I believe a triumph. And weighs in at more than to busa too.

You are sittin on it and pretty much just using the power off the clutch to power the Bike. Imagine only running the busa as fast as you can walk or maybe jog. Your feet never leave the ground as if they are training wheels to keep the Bike up

.....That's a relief, BigJack. I pictured you walking beside it, maybe on the clutch side, trying to both balance and gas it. WHOH! What could go wrong there?? ;) BTW, I am in Van Zandt County.

180/50 is suppose to give you the greatest tire patch straight out. Haven't heard much talk about it in many years. I believe that was in reference to launches at the track. Might be a little different for normal highway travel.

180/50 is suppose to give you the greatest tire patch straight out. Haven't heard much talk about it in many years. I believe that was in reference to launches at the track. Might be a little different for normal highway travel.

I have read the same thing as fars as drag racing go but i want the tire to still look fat like me. lol

.....That's a relief, BigJack. I pictured you walking beside it, maybe on the clutch side, trying to both balance and gas it. WHOH! What could go wrong there?? ;) BTW, I am in Van Zandt County.
lol, I see your 1hr 45mins away from me. maybe we can meet up sometime

I've been running PR3's now, and switched to a 190/55 rear. All good. :thumbsup:

How many miles you get out of your P3's. i know you rack up the miles :laugh:

My next high mileage tire is going to be Dunlop roadsmarts. I ride in all weather, and my cousin just retired his at 16k miles. Yes 16,000, he rides a sport touring I believe a triumph. And weighs in at more than to busa too.

Dang 16000k is a ton

That would be a cool sparky burnout though!

:laugh: Yeah it would have been

There's high mileage tires out there, but you give up a little traction for those miles. The Busa is a torque monster. If you've ever been behind someone digging you will note the rear tire kicking out going into second gear and sometimes in third. I have had a number of comments about it and can feel it in the seat of my pants.

I got 13.5K out of my PR3's, but the Bus was a bit difficult to steer in fast twisty turns toward the end. :thumbsup:

Back