Would you help me pack for this 2500mi run?

Audiomaker

Registered
Getting close now... starting to pack up.

Here's the basic route....hot right now.

Houston, TX to Coos Bay, OR - Google Maps

Going to take the California route to get to Houston. Cooler and I'll be in a truck for that half (Freightliner FL-60 Sportchassis).

Also, I have planned a few stops in CA.... Zero Gravity, Liquipel, A couple motorcycle stores, a few friends... and there's no Del Taco in Oregon so....ya...
I'll run south all the way to my hometown of San Diego and head east from there.

I am only planning 3 hotel nights for this trip and likely they all be on the way home. 2 of them likely at the Hard Rock Hotel and 1 in Houston.
I'll sleep in the truck on the way there and catch showers at the truck stops. On the way back, I'll be taking a single person tent ('cause I'm single now) and sleeping bag.
Anyway, I plan to "camp" for about 4 days of this trip...off a Busa.

Motorcycle Items I hope to have at the pickup site are:

Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen (I'll have the stock one shipped home)...or should I pass because of the heat and get more wind? Hmmm. I don 't have this in hand yet.
Helibars
Throttlemeister
Knight 1" lowered Pegs
Tobin Drag style seat (Because I figured I could fill the 2" cutout with various padding I could improvise at Walmart vs the stock seat?)

For luggage, I have:
18L Tourmaster tank bag
1 Medium sized "tactical" style duffel bag that I plan to strap to the bike longitudinally (i.e....longways with the bike on the back seat). Lots of webbing on this.
1.Single man tent that in it's case is about as long as the duffle bag
1. Sleeping bag that I will strap transverse to the duffel (left to right across the bike) Have travel pillow with it (both SnugPak)
1. Medium backpack.... guess 20L
Assorted straps and bungee cords...can always get more.
1 roll of painter's tape to protect paint.
I was unable to secure saddlebags in time for this trip.

For Gear I plan to take:
1. Vanson textile touring jacket (Black). Vented but not extremely well.... with liner.
2. Belstaff Airstream mesh jacket.
3. Red safety vest..mesh.
4. Motoport Stretch Kevlar racing gloves (lots of air through these)
5. Cortech "Scarab" gloves (a little air through these)
6. Full faced helmet
7. Carbon fiber half hemet (in case the black full face gets too hot or if I meet anyone who wants to go for a ride)
8. Cheap nylon 2pc rain over-suit because it's light and can pack tightly.
9. Sunglasses
10. Bandana for the face if I'm riding with the lid.

For Clothing I plan to take:
2 pair of jeans (I will mostly ride in these)
1 long sleeve and 1 short sleeve cotton T-shirt
4 pair of cotton socks
1 pair of swim trunks
1 pair of Danner 8" leather Ft. Lewis boots (comfortable and broken in).
Underwear of course

For accessories I plan to take:
1 Cortech Hydration pack
2. iPhone and camera.
3. iPad
4.Toilet paper
5 Travel Hygiene kit
6. 2 medium towels (Hitchhiker's guide)
7. 1 quart fuel safe container loaded with premium
8. LED flashlight
9. Glock 26 9mm (have CWP in Oregon)
10. Swiss Champ knife
11. Multi Tool
12. Multi screwdriver
13. Fuses and small test light.
14. Copies of my DL, Insurance, and CWP stored under the seat.
15. Some zipper type zip-lock bags.

Did I miss anything? Any advise or tips?

Thanks!
Sean

A clutch lever. God forbid that you need one - however you can ride with a broke front brake lever but not with out a clutch lever. Small enough to add.

Oregon CWP won't work in CA. Don't get caught !!! I would ride UNDER the speed limit and be very easy with everything while in CA. Just my 2 cents.

I'd consider a more direct road to the California coast. You'll be riding in triple digit heat most of the time, so the cool ocean breeze (and better roads) will be a welcome change. Might take a bit longer, and some traffic in spots too, but riding in 65 degrees is quite comfortable.

A clutch lever. God forbid that you need one - however you can ride with a broke front brake lever but not with out a clutch lever. Small enough to add.

Oregon CWP won't work in CA. Don't get caught !!! I would ride UNDER the speed limit and be very easy with everything while in CA. Just my 2 cents.

I'll break down the weapon for the trip. I'll be in a truck while in CA...transported legally. On the bike, the weapon will be locked under the seat, unloaded magazine locked in a security bag in tail luggage...ammo in tank bag.
This is legal as far as I know in any state, and I think I'd have to do something worse than speeding to get in a situation where they are taking apart my luggage. At that point, it's just about being legal...even technically.
For the riding portion, I'll be in slightly friendlier states (ex CA resident here BTW).
I am considering leaving it behind, but sleeping in a tent next to a Busa in unknown campgrounds sounds a little iffy. Thoughts?

I'd consider a more direct road to the California coast. You'll be riding in triple digit heat most of the time, so the cool ocean breeze (and better roads) will be a welcome change. Might take a bit longer, and some traffic in spots too, but riding in 65 degrees is quite comfortable.

880jedi, Yeah, I'd considered reversing the route or skipping Nevada entirely and taking the coast both ways. As it stands, I am planning the coastal route on the way to Texas, and I'll be in a truck at that point.
The reason it's like this is that I have some stops I need to make in CA to pick up some items for the second half of the trip...the riding half.
Either way, I'll have to get the bike through Texas to at least southern AZ, so if it's unbearable, I might just continue on to the California coast for the ride home.
The thing is, Coos Bay, Oregon is a darned boring small town for a big city guy like me and I've been stuck here working for a couple years. I'd love to re-visit Vegas, Reno, Lake Tahoe on the trip since it's been a long time and I'd like to get as much tourist bling out of the ride as I can. You are right though about the heat. I hope it breaks before I'm riding back.

Thanks you guys!
Sean

Update: Torbin Drag seat and Stock seat have been replaced with used Corbin for this trip. It's on it's way to meet me in Texas.

Sean

I'll break down the weapon for the trip. I'll be in a truck while in CA...transported legally. On the bike, the weapon will be locked under the seat, unloaded magazine locked in a security bag in tail luggage...ammo in tank bag.
This is legal as far as I know in any state, and I think I'd have to do something worse than speeding to get in a situation where they are taking apart my luggage. At that point, it's just about being legal...even technically.
For the riding portion, I'll be in slightly friendlier states (ex CA resident here BTW).
I am considering leaving it behind, but sleeping in a tent next to a Busa in unknown campgrounds sounds a little iffy. Thoughts?

Sean

Seems like you have it figured out. You probably already know this, but make sure that if you have to get your paper work out, that no matter what
a cop would not be able to see any part of a weapon. No since in raising any questions and having to explain. Also So many people have been arrested
by letting a cop search their vehicle. I don't know if one would ever want to search a bike, but if they did, JUST SAY NO. Again I doubt you will have any problems.

So can you explain your plan a little better, You are leaving OR in a Pickup with the bike in the bed? Diving to AZ or TX and then riding the bike back?
Camping along the way? Even in the PU? Just curious...:laugh:

So can you explain your plan a little better, You are leaving OR in a Pickup with the bike in the bed? Diving to AZ or TX and then riding the bike back?
Camping along the way? Even in the PU? Just curious...

Short story...

Sold my Freightliner FL-60 Sportchassis to a guy in Texas. At the same time found a Turbo Busa that happened to be...in Texas. I live in Coos Bay, Oregon.

So the guy who bought the truck was going to fly out and drive the truck home, but I said I'd deliver for $500 + fuel.
I was going to have to fly out to check out the bike, then fly back and have it shipped or ride it home.

Overall the deal...if nothing goes wrong... saves me about $1500 and buys me a road trip.

Me and the truck drive to Texas. Me and the Busa ride home from Texas.

I will drive the coastal route down the west coast to San Diego in the truck and pick up some stuff I've bought for the bike trip. I know this road well.

Then I'll head east to Texas and drop off the truck and pick up the bike and head home. Somewhere in southern Arizona on the return, I'll decide by the heat if I should go back through CA, or be able to take the road through Nevada home.

3 days left.

Sean

* chain lube + rags to clean/wipe off
* portable stand/jack
* for tire inflation, I prefer a bicycle hand pump
* emergency warning triangle, reflectorized belt in addition to your vest
* "cooling" vest (soak in water then wear under the jacket)
* "trash bags" to waterproof your gear
* for flashlight, I prefer one strapped around my head so both arms are free
* snacks (trail mix, jerky, granola/power bars)
* chap stick, sunblock, insect repellant, pain pills (non-sedating), sports creme
* bike cover, disc locks
* for really long trips through hot weather, I prefer a modular/flip-up

P.S. San Diego is 70 miles north of me, drop me a line if/when you're nearby. Have a safe trip

Wow. Sell truck-buy Busa= Awesome Road Trip! Safe Travels. Take Pics!

* chain lube + rags to clean/wipe off
* portable stand/jack
* for tire inflation, I prefer a bicycle hand pump
* emergency warning triangle, reflectorized belt in addition to your vest
* "cooling" vest (soak in water then wear under the jacket)
* "trash bags" to waterproof your gear
* for flashlight, I prefer one strapped around my head so both arms are free
* snacks (trail mix, jerky, granola/power bars)
* chap stick, sunblock, insect repellant, pain pills (non-sedating), sports creme
* bike cover, disc locks
* for really long trips through hot weather, I prefer a modular/flip-up

P.S. San Diego is 70 miles north of me, drop me a line if/when you're nearby. Have a safe trip

Nice. Thanks Kromdom. I have been looking at the modulars. For this trip, I figured a Full helmet and a Half helmet would suit a couple purposes...plus expenses are piling up.
I'll be printing this thread off and taking it with me to the store.
I'm surprised nobody has said "trailer hitch", because that's what I've been thinking as I pack all this up.
70mi south of SD? Is that Ensenada?

I remember when I first joined the Boy Scouts as a kid. I was in about 2 months when we got to go on this Grand Canyon hike... 3 days / 53mi. It was basically starting at the rim, and hiking down, spend the night and then reverse.
I was like 12, or 13.
This story is about when you first start finding out about your personality... even if you don't recognize it until many years later.

Anyway.... I had to shop for a backpack and I had to have the biggest and best one out there..... then I needed all the stuff on the list the Scouts gave us....but I should bring some extras I thought. Hey...walkie talkies! Might need those!
I wonder if there's fish in that river down there? Ooooooh...collapsable fishing pole! What if I get lost trying to rescue another Scout?? Flare gun! Might need to rappel down the canyon so....

When I was done, this pack (and auxiliary attachments) was about as large as I was and weighed nearly the same (65lbs...weighed it).

I also remember how impressed the Scout Masters were watching me get it all out of my Grandparent's station wagon. The shocked looks and smiles! I mean, a lot of the other Scouts just brought their school backpacks (those were the one's I'd likely be rescuing). Obviously I was the future Eagle Scout of the bunch!

Yeah... that was a long a$$ walk. I stayed in the back to keep an eye on everyone ;)

Funny thing is, I've been doing it ever since.

Anyway, gotta get back to packin'. I know I left that generator around here somewhere ;-)

Sean

Sean,
Temecula (zip 92592), is a straight shot from San Diego along the 15 freeway. I did not see your list a mounting location/power source for IPAD/GPS/iphone? Lastly, paper copies of your route inside a zip lock bag as back up in case your Nav takes a dump. Got room for a radar detector? Be safe and have fun.

P.S. I will be embarking on my annual "man trip" in a few days (IBA SaddleSore 1000 combo with Tour of Honor ride).

Spare bike key.:thumbsup:

+1 million :please:

One more tip: notify your credit card companies that you will be on a road trip so that they will NOT FLAG your account for possible theft/unauthorized use.

Back