Learn to Wheelie...the right way.

Todmac

Registered
Hi All,
I have been riding for many years, but last fall I bought a hayabusa; a dream bike.
I had ( and still do have ) a healthy does of respect for this machine.
One thing I have not done much of yet, which I want to - safely - learn to do properly... is wheelie.
When I youtube it or google it I see more crashes to view than wheelies. That is not inspiring.

For those of you more experienced and confident than me; would you be able to pass along any wisdom, on the where, how, and when to best pull off a wheelie, both short ones, and long ones ( I once saw a guy go down the highway on the back wheel forever).

Thanks to all, from a new (and hopefully longstanding ) busa owner.

Cheers.
T

Sixpack is one that can wheelie standing on the pegs. I just bring it up in 1st and drop it down in 3rd around 110 on power wheelies.

Wish I could help you, but I don't know much about wheelies since I've spent alot of money lowering, stretching and strapping in an attempt to keep the front end down and NOT wheelie :laugh:

If your gonna learn to wheelie the Busa, contact Justin at Honda East and invest in a couple sets of fork seals:rulez:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

If your gonna learn to wheelie the Busa, contact Justin at Honda East and invest in a couple sets of fork seals:rulez:

Just dont slam the ol girl on the landing and you"ll be fine. Bret, dont you have some advice on wheelies, something about the back brake will keep it from flipping during WOT in 1st and 2nd? LOL :moon:

lankeeyankee said:
Just dont slam the ol girl on the landing and you"ll be fine. Bret, dont you have some advice on wheelies, something about the back brake will keep it from flipping during WOT in 1st and 2nd? LOL :moon:

Not this again:banghead: they could just do like you and use the chicken switch(mode selector):poke:

:laugh:

if u havnt been pulln wheelies since u were a little kid on dirt bikes then save urself a lot of pain and money and keep both wheels on the ground. but if u want to learn the hard way then go for it. just gear up when ur practicing.

there r power wheelies and clutch wheelies. a busa has enough grunt to power wheelie quite easily. keep ur arms stiff and squeeze the tank with ur legs and be sure u cover the rear brake. If things get chitty 4 you just tap the rear brake and both wheels are back on the pavement. If you're looking straight ahead when you can't see over the bike you'll know you're getting close to the balance point or the point of no return.

if u dont have a stabilizer I wud suggest gettn one. lifting the bike off the ground and then comming back down suddenly could cause the front tire to shake violently. If you don't land perfectly straight you may do a highside (flip off the bike head over heals). very bad 4 u and the bike. GL

Not this again:banghead: they could just do like you and use the chicken switch(mode selector):poke:

:laugh:

Hey Bret here is how we remove the mudflaps on our white Busas. Now I know why you left yours on so long
Wheelie scrape tail no crash - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
stupid question........... whats a chicken switch

Not this again they could just do like you and use the chicken switch(mode selector)
From my dunce stool

GENII's have 3 modes A (Artic White) the fastest mode!! Mode B (Black) Fast but not as fast as in white Mode C (Chicken) Slow Azz Mode.

They acheive this with different mappings in the ECU was designed for new riders or driving on slippery roads.

there r power wheelies and clutch wheelies. a busa has enough grunt to power wheelie quite easily.

I read that the busa has enough power that if you just start out in 1st gear and wind it steadily up it will lift the front
wheel when it gets to the power band. I tried that to almost red line and my wheel never lifted. I tried both 1st and 2nd gears
but I have never lifted the front wheel. Using the clutch I fear that done wrong it might flip over backwards, not something
I want to try out. I'm old enough to HAVE fear. Young people have no fear, maybe because their brains aren't developed yet. :laugh:
Or like you said - if you have been doing this most all your life (since a little kid) then it might be second nature.
I'm past that point so I have fear. :please:

I know how to not wheelie!

race tail 009.jpg

Heya Tod,

The busa AIN'T the type of bike to "learn" how to do wheelies on.....way too heavy, and way too much power to be trying to grasp the basics of such a fine art! But if you've been wheelie-ing anything and everything BEFORE the busa....it'll be instinctive and second-nature on the busa, too!! I'll try & dig up a few of my most prized personal pics and post 'em up for ya when I can....

Best advice I can give you.....DON'T rush it, take plenty of time gettin' the basics down pat....and until you are totally confident riding on one....COVER that rear brake!!! :beerchug:

5 years ago i could execute a stand-up wheelie here and there but never felt it comfortable or a good idea on the busa as it being such a large heavy set gal if she gets outta shape?..chances are you're not going to recover or save it...so i only pulled/attempted less than a handful of stand-ups before accepting it's catastrophy looking for a place to happen and it's not an "IF" it's a "When"...that said?..at the right time?..in the right place?..i'm not certain that sex with Lady Gaga would be as exhilerating as a smoothly executed 1st gear power-wheelie on a busa...so on occassion?..i digress...and partake of tapping into the mighty busa powerplant...as follows..

runn'er up to 5000-5500 rpm's in 1st then dump and nail the throttle....5000 usually requires a slight assist tug....5500?..doesn't...then the game is to not get scared and stay in it long enough and hard enough to execute a smooth touch down...but if you get scared and suddenly dump out of it?...and come slamming back down?..be prepared to encounter a tank slapper and/or possibly a blown fork seal.

and normally?...i'd never suggest that anyone attempt wheeling a busa...especially a new owner starting threads inquiring of such...but reality is?..anyone who's interested in such folly that they would start a topic inquiring of such is most likely going to actually attempt it...so with that in mind?...i figure i'd give ya all i got so you at least have the benefit of the doubt....(so to speak). L8R and good luck, Bill. :cool:

Edit/PS: Forgot sump'in real important...if you're doing it for lifting your own spirits out in the middle of nowhere with zero traffic/pedestrians around?..that's one thing...but if you're doing it in front of a crowd or to show off for a gal?..chances are you're going to screw up...bad...and btw...i lost my 16 year old daughter off the back of my busa doing a very slight 6"er...2-3 years ago...and my eyes well up everytime i see her roadrash scars...they have forgiven me but...i haven't...cause she rode with me since she was 8...and just like my other two daughters?...loved it...begged to go everytime she seen me with a lid in my hand....but none of them have rode with me since...and i tend to ride very little myself these days...so wheelies have their downside too. :(

the guy in that vidio looked like he was riding an extinction ladder down the road. after totaling 2 bikes in my younger days I decided wheelies are for my dirt bike and I still loop them consistently.

My only tip is that when you doit is to have somebody with the camera filming and then put the video on the forum:laugh:

Back