Downshifting and blipping the throttle

cyclefarm

Registered
Every bike I've owned (lots of 'em) downshifted better if I blipped the throttle with clutch pulled before shifting down a gear. I makes less of a clunk by better matching gear speed to engine speed. However, my 03 Hayabusa doesn't like it. It shifts better if I just push the shifter down (with clutch pulled of course) gear to gear. In your experience, what have you guys found?

Dunno about the GENI's but my GENII's tranny is super smooth and even downshifts without the clutch without any clunk noise.

My gen I is pretty smooth too. The engine revs so fast anyway a blip is just that. Too short to really shift in.

I've always blipped, don't know what it's like without doing it. I imagine smooth.

You really shouldn't do this ... ok on an upshift but not on a downshift.

Shifting without the clutch works just fine on down shifts as well as up shifts.

The function of the clutch is to unload the tranny for shifting, you can do that with the throttle up or down.

I speed shift going up, but was taught to use the clutch downshifting....and I usually do, but not always.

I don't like the instant jerk that the bike does when downshifting without the clutch with the throttle closed and unlike upshifting, the RPM is harder for me to find to make it smooth (even blipping the throttle).

I find downshifting without a clutch to feel hard on the bike, and a higher risk of traction loss or unexpected weight shift....especially when wet or cornering.

Not saying what I learned is right.... just the way I've learned it.

Sean

I use the clutch 99.9% of the time downshifting and 98% of the time on upshifting.

Kinda think of it as a hand exercise. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

abcde

.facebook_-1944837700.jpg

This, blip everytime.

Those that downshift without using the clutch - the clutch is there for a reason guys, it would be wise to make use of it.[/Q

Clutch? You mean there are more uses for the clutch besides just taking off :dunno:.... wise? Ive been told i'm a wise an hiemer.

Back