Could you have avoided this accident

Easy E

Registered
Here is an accident that I think could have been avoided.(not that I want to jinx myself) Whatcha think.
Crash: Rider Snaps Leg In Low Speed Collision - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's easy to say, "I could have done this or that" when you aren't in a situation because we're looking at it from a third person perspective, with mental calmness.
It's like watching a horror movie and yelling, "Stop hesitating and shoot the ****er in the head!"
When someone is in the situation like, a million things are racing in your head, not to mention the heart that beating a million miles a minute, with clammy hands and everything moving in slow-motion.
It looked like he had plenty of time to swerve out of her way though, I'm pretty sure he kept thinking, "This ***** is gonna stop. This ***** is gonna stop. Thi--****!"
Personally I'm a really defensive driver so I would have tried to swerve out of the way, whether I thought she saw me or not.
Better safe than sorry, and in this case, he was sorry.

ummm it doesnt even seem like he grabbed a handfull of brakes, he didnt use his rear brake at all and stuck his leg out instead... and as far as loud exhaust that bike looks like a 250 ninja

I'd have to say... probably not.

We are all looking at the accident on video and therefor focused on the car.

Aside from that, the thread title puts your head in the "where/when?" mode.

The guy just got on his bike, he probably is still digesting breakfast, he's thinking about making sure all of his cameras are on and pointed the right way, and he probably just had a text argument with his girlfriend.... all while pulling out doing 28 on a familiar street with no obvious danger.

So no... I think I probably would crashed it too under those circumstances.

After seeing the vid', I'll probably be thinking about that in the future but even then...with 1 more second of paying attention, I think I would have to slide the bike into the side of the car.... there wasn't going to be much room to get around it.

Bright side is, if my Mom had been driving the car, the guy would have died in the accident somehow. Mom shouldn't be on the road at all in my opinion :)

My 6 cents

Sean

Maybe if he hit the brakes, hit the horn, and tried to swerve. Happened pretty quick though and she blocked a good portion of the road.

In the YouTube post he says he was doing 28 in a 25, I wonder if he was maybe doing a bit faster as he time to block out the speedo in the video...

I think I may have been able to avoid that, it's hard to say with 100% certainty. The rider didn't seem do a good job braking or swerving. It's a Ninja 250 so probably a newer rider.

Don't know if he or anyone could have avoided it, hard to look after the fact in some cases and tell, but his reaction time to brake was unnoticeable in the video. He says he had 1.53 seconds I never saw the front end dive at all on the bike :dunno: 28 mph hhhmmmmm :whistle: Heal up dude :thumbsup:

I'm defensive anywhere I go. Even watching the first time it seemed like an eternity of no brakes till he hit the car. Good luck to this rider, and I'm sure he will slow down on that super narrow congested street.

Thats a tough one!! She pulled out pretty quickly and never stopped blocking the roadway. Didnt seem like he hit the brakes or even swerved till almost on impact. Little late reacting, who knows maybe he had a wake and bake morning and was heading out for some munchies :dunno" who knows by sitting here in the comfort of our lazy boys and couches.

Hard to Monday morning quarter back things. On the heavy Busa the best I think I could have done is slowed down a little before impact. She pretty well covered the escape routes.

Um..... maybe maaaaybe could have been prevented? But that was a very short time to react and counter act.
I would prolly have gone a tad slower but... I say that sitting here right?

Ride safe Boys !! ( and Girls !! )

Here is an accident that I think could have been avoided.(not that I want to jinx myself) Whatcha think.
Crash: Rider Snaps Leg In Low Speed Collision - YouTube[/url]
Over my 30 years of street riding and one head on collision with a drunk early on, I've learned to be a VERY defensive rider. I encounter situations that could end up like that on almost every ride that I'm in traffic. Personally I could have easily avoided that.........by first keeping the speed a little slower (which I would have done), and second scanning farther ahead for possible issues coming up like that, and reacting as soon as I sensed the situation developing.
I think seat time and years of close calls, combined with an instinct for self-survival, really help sharpen a riders ability to stay safer on the road.
Street riding is a dangerous business, you have to look at it as if the other drivers are TRYING to take you out to survive.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most disturbing piece of this vid is when she asks "Did you just not see me?" as if it was only up to the other guy to be looking out.
I do agree there are many things that could have abated this crash, and will not place all blame on either party, but geez!

I'm defensive anywhere I go. Even watching the first time it seemed like an eternity of no brakes till he hit the car. Good luck to this rider, and I'm sure he will slow down on that super narrow congested street.

My thoughts exactly. And I darn sure wouldn`t have stuck my leg out like that...I don`t think...like has been mentioned, hard to tell/judge from the easychair.
Bet it seemed like an eternity for the meat wagon to show up......OHHH PAIN...I need something for the PAIN!:laugh:

slow ur roll in a residental neighborhood. if he was traveling 15-20 mph he could have likely stopped or avoided the car. perception reaction time is a car is about 1.5 seconds. its not much different on a motorcycle unless ur hand is on the front brake. I did accident reconstruction for years but have not done in quite some time but here is an example oh how ur speed can greatly effect the outcome of an accident.

suppose a person is driving a car at 55 mph (80.67 feet/sec) on a dry surface and a level road. he sees a pedestrian and applies the brakes. stopping distance consists of three different factors.

perception reaction time distance = this means that the car will travel 1.5 x 80.67 or 120.9 feet before the operator applies the brakes.

brake engagement distance. brakes do not engage instantaneously on a car or a bike. there is an additional time required for the pedal or the brake lever to depress and engage the brake.

physical force distance. once the brakes engage the stopping distance is determined by physical forces (D=S²/(30*f) where S is mph) as 134.4 feet.

total stopping distance = 120.9 ft + 134.4 ft = 255.3 ft. the bike weighs less and the formula would be different but as u can see for a car the distance to stop at 55 mph is pretty dam far.

goin 10-15 mph faster in a neighborhood where someone may pull out in front of u or a kid running out in the street will be greatly effected by 10-15 mph. the car absolutely violated the statute by turning where it did. no question about it. the police do not cite fault tho. they only cite if a state statute was violated which is was by an inproper turn. a judge, jury or possibly the insurance company if not criminal determines fault in an accident not the police.

but just because ur not cited doesnt mean that u could not have taken measures to decrease the likelyhood of crashing. and a slow speed accident on a bike can surely kill you since u have no cage to protect u.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's lying about the speed. At 29 seconds you can see the needle pass 30 MPH as he shifts into 2nd gear. At that point, he looks up again and continues to accelerate and shift into higher gears.

He was just going to fast for the environment in which he was riding. At that speed I probably would have hit the car too.

Here's a pic of the gauge cluster for reference...

146-1105-01-z+comparison-test+kawasaki-ninja-250R-instrument-panel-2.jpg

I see this as totally avoidable, even at his current speed.Inexperience was his down fall, i see two outs, yard on the left and behind the car. Breaking time and inattention was the big fault. I claim no fame in superior riding skills but have been riding over 30 yrs and have been in this same situation 3 times, the third was a fail do to rain. the older bikes didn't brake as well as the busa but the sticky tires did there job well. like was said earlier time to action was late, a car moves I see it and prepare for the worst. been rear ended once now mirrors are my friend, second close call for a rear end found me next to the car in front of me and the Toyota in place of where I would have been. Ok flame away I'm ready....LOL :hide:

I dunno guys.... I mean, I look around when I'm riding.

A lot of this reaction time speculation is coming from us looking right at the car as it pulls out.

Hey, in my first two block of riding, I check my mirrors...settle myself in the seat.... etc.

As motorcycle riders, sure we are more focused on obstacles than most, but I am honest enough to admit that I actually do look around me...not just straight forward.

That looking around (scanning) has saved my butt dozens of times, but if this guy was scanning left, or at the mirror when this happened, I doubt he could of avoided it.

Ok, so he's going 30...maybe even 45 in a 25. I've done it. This is the same group that runs the fastest production motorcycles in the world, and don't tell me you haven't done 45 in a 25, or 80 in a 55?

Heck, half the post on this board we're lucky if the bike has both tires on the ground!

Admittedly, I'm one of those riders who believes if you don't push your bike hard.... just for a bit...every few days, then you won't know the bike well enough avoid many accidents and because your brain goes to sleep, and I've avoided 2x as many accidents with my throttle as my brakes over the years.

Ok, maybe the guy was doing 40, but that's far from reckless IMHO. The truth is that a woman just pulled out in front of him. It happens. People run lights too and kill riders.. it happens.

If he had been pulling a wheel stand at 70, I'd say he deserved it, but that's not what I'm seeing here.

I'd say that the guy could of avoided the the car if he was looking right at it like we are, but the fault here is really the driver's.

Sean
Humble opinion expressed

Ok by my evaluation she is moving at 35 seconds. He doesnt hit her till 38 seconds. Thats 3 seconds that he didnt react at all. his breaks dont even sound or look depressed till 37.5. by my math he was doing roughly 45 mph. which is 20 over in a residential like that? Seems the fault is shared for sure. and yes easily avoidable. Slow the heck down in residential area be aware of KIDS CARS PETS. just imagine if that was a kid that ran out in front of him.

Back