Raydog's Superbyke does the twisties, what's it like?

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
I've had this thing operational for about 3 weeks....lots of around town riding, bike nite (quite a hit) and FINALLY, yesterday, after a week long tour in Oregon(post coming) and 10 days of landscaping of my yard, I cleaned and prepped the bike, showered, put on my track leathers and went to the Sierras, ALONE. Late Sunday afternoon, most traffic back home, my favorite road actually had new paving! It was glorious! For simplicity, I'll just list my impressions....

The first thing I noticed was the blend of Busa power with the lightness of the overall package. Everything happens now.
What I mean in terms of overall characteristics is...

"flickable" is an overused word but this bike goes where you put it, especially with the leverage afforded with the superbike bars.
the radial front brake master cylinder squeezing Braking rotors on CZ wheels with a 465 pound package must be learned, coming down from over 100 mph hard feels like I could do a controlled brakie ANY dam time I wanted to.... with my HAYBUS Busa and my preexisting skills, I am very comfortable riding quite fast knowing I have a significant safety margin "built in" to the overall experience. With the Superbyke, it seems 2 or 3 levels up on what I'm used to.
I feel I have SO MUCH to learn before I feel competent as a high performance rider with this thing. That being said, I'm sure my corner speeds are much higher on this black missle than on the HAYBUS, I have NO CLUE what it's limits are and that is what freaks me out....I kinda knew this was going to be the case but had no idea what a wide margin!

Race Tech front end, stock rear shock....I have to mess with compression damping, I hate it now (I don't know what the lighter package will do in terms of "what must I do to the rear shock, if anything?")

Another thing to be learned is, in high speed track style cornering, body position is good yet unfamiliar for me (with the bars). It's odd to be "over, tight and low with knee down when arms are up with the bars! Sometimes I want to straightleg the corners like riding a dirt mile!

4 or 5 folks asked me for some first impressions so that's them.

I gotta throw in a little Harley story now....I'm way out in the mountains, come up to a T intersection with stop sign. I stop and here come 3 Harleys, going really fast (the direction I was turning to). I came up behind them and saw the last guy eyeing me in his rear view. They really were riding way faster than I cruise (about 85-95 mph) but I stayed with em. We came upon a just occurred traffic collision involving about 4 cars...6-7 people sitting on hill beside the road and FIVE CHP cars and TWO Sheriff cars there. We went by at 60 and no one even looked at us. WELL, knowing that every black and white within 100 square miles was at that location made me feel much better about my speed so when the Harley boys picked it up to 90, I followed suit. I noticed that whenever I looked like I might pass they went even faster. It just didn't feel friendly, maybe I''m wrong about that, anyways, we came upon a pretty steep hill that had two lanes in our direction (middle passing lane) with a sign that said "slower traffic keep right". All three bikes went into the "slow" lane but REALLY picked it up, about 110 mph (their open pipes sounded like a WW II dogfight). I thought, "OK, I get it, they are messing with me, going to the slow lane but full throttling so I 'couldn't' pass them!" SO, I downshifted to second, popped the clutch, and I think my front wheel came down when speedshifting into fourth going by the 2nd guy at about 140 mph. As I went by the lead guy the road went into a big gentle sweeper so I got my butt off, stuck out my knee and, with a gentle roll down of the throttle, disappeared over the horizon! I can't believe I call myself a responsible citizen. Anyways, it was so fun stepping on V twin bullying with Busa big end! Doyle (the seldom but sometimes hooligan)

I didn't think a Harley would do 110, even downhill :)

You are gonna have to put a gopro on this thing so we can see some vids!

Sounds like fun. True. So much to learn, or to "adapt" when the bike is so much lighter and suspension is tighter.

Can't wait to see more pics... :thumbsup:

that sounds like the kind of fun that would quickly get me in trouble :thumbsup: glad you are really enjoying it :beerchug:

That's funny Doyle i ride with those guys all the time. It does not matter what speed, What gear just a little throttle and i am by them. As soon as all that popping starts the old Orange Crate is cruiseing by. :laugh:

Sir,
The only thing that would make that steed sound better was if it was mine. :bowdown:

The Harley story was classic! I can only imagine the ear to ear grin:thumbsup:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

"Seldom but sometimes" my azz:rofl:
Put it in the garage and let the chicken strips grow back then:laugh:

Well then, the truth is, I don't want to be seen as irresponsible. I refuse to use "lol" or "rofl" but you guys did make me laugh! Doyle

I didn't think a Harley would do 110, even downhill :)

You are gonna have to put a gopro on this thing so we can see some vids!

Great story!
Harley guys are fun to mess with. For some reason they are like backroad rednecks and hate to be passed, its almost like a macho thing with em I dunno :dunno:
But I love to pass em on the back wheel.:thumbsup:
6 speed Harleys with big S&S motors can run 110 but its close if not topped out!

I know mine will only do about 80 down hill in a hurricane....

Been gone a lot this past month. Looking for more posts on RD's beastie. Keep 'em coming.

FWIW, my 1989 "XLCR" Sporty would do 120 and climbing easily (geared tall), but the vibes on that solid mount motor were enough to not want to go any faster.

Update....I've been riding a lot. My old track riding buddy visited for a few days in his monster rear pusher 40' motorhome OMG, I want one! 2 popouts, 42" flat screen, what a rig. Anyways, he and I had GSXR 1000's and did track days together. I let him go for a long ride with me on both Busa's, he said the superbyke is the most fun motorcycle he's ever riden!
Now that I've put a lot of miles on it....to those that are considering doing a project similar....I can't recommend it enough! Just make it happen, no disrespect to the B-King but Suzuki should have done this (like Aprillia, Ducati, Triumph,etc.) to their rendition of a naked. High speed windblast? Doesn't really happen with that little shield. The light yet Busa stability is really special, can't wait for the Stampede trackday in August, pics and post will happen. Doyle

ps my bud also has an amazing slr camera (below)

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

How does that thing breathe without the ram air?? Love that red and silver busa.Very clean and put together nicely.LOve that harley story.Dont know whats with those guys.

No oil cooler?

No oil cooler! And you know what? It runs cooler now. The deal is....an exposed Busa engine with radiator runs at least as cool as a fully faired busa with radiator AND oil cooler. Doyle

How does that thing breathe without the ram air?? Love that red and silver busa.Very clean and put together nicely.LOve that harley story.Dont know whats with those guys.

I'm sure you loose a couple of hp on the big end without the airbox effect. The hot rod looks, sound of induction, less complexity and uniqueness of this approach makes it worthwhile for me though. When folks look under the tank they usually say, "wow, how'd you do that?" In person, the four lined up injectors really does look kind of exotic.

Back