Another undercut gear thread...

QWKENAF

Registered
Does anyone know where in Southern California I can get my gears cut? I will mail them out as a last resort (only due to time constraints). But I talked to Yoshimura this morning and they said they don't do undercutting anymore to their race bikes, they have a new way of doing it that is "race proven". He explained it to me, but it does not seem to make sense how a process so simple would stop the 2nd gear curse from striking again (without actually undercutting). :banghead::hmmm:

Thanks guys I will contact APE
The new way (as it was explained, maybe I missed something) is basically running every piece of the tranny through a ceramic tumbling process... He stated less friction and better performance.

interesting on the coating....i know they make cermic transmition bearings... but never heard of the gears..

The tumbling process is more of a polishing process than anything, although I have seen it used in combination with some dry film coatings. It really does reduce friction on gear components. I’ve seen it done on motorcycles but I have not personally done mine. We have used the process in the past on sprint car ring and pinions that resulted in reduced temperatures and increased life.

However, it still does not replace undercutting the gears.

Back