thinking about changing sprocket sizes

oeballer50

Registered
I have the stock sprockets on my busa im 6'4 280 pounds and I know the bike has plenty of power and pull, but I hardly ever and I mean hardly ever open it wide open so I would like a little extra pull. I don't know much about it but my buddy mentioned changing sprocket sizes so what would be my best bet as far as different sizes and what are some reliable and affordable ones I could look into?

I was running around -1 +2 for the longest time, switched it to just -1 / stock and liking how smooth it feels now as opposed to the twitchy throttle before. I bet my gas mileage gets a bit better also.

(gen1)

Any specific brand I should look into or does anyone have one set aside they'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price?

I am going the.other direction. I am dropping 2 teeth on the rear sprocket.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

dadofthree said:
It will make the bike seem sluggish and will not increase your top end speed. Why ?

Will drop the rpms a wee bit at my prefered cruising speed. May also go up 1 in the front:dunno: Getting a lot more into the touring side of sport touring these days. Have nothing left to prove to anyone.
I could care less about the big end. I can count the number of times I have been there on 1 hand with digits left over.

Not being smart with you DO3 just answering.:beerchug:

Will drop the rpms a wee bit at my prefered cruising speed. May also go up 1 in the front:dunno: Getting a lot more into the touring side of sport touring these days. Have nothing left to prove to anyone.
I could care less about the big end. I can count the number of times I have been there on 1 hand with digits left over.

Not being smart with you DO3 just answering.:beerchug:

Don't know your cruising speed but 4K is the sweet spot for fuel mileage and from memory that's around 70 M.P.H. in 6th gear. It's your ride and money, I've been there, done that, and went back :laugh:

PS I didn't take it that way, plus I'm growing a pretty thick skin :thumbsup:

dadofthree said:
Don't know your cruising speed but 4K is the sweet spot for fuel mileage and from memory that's around 70 M.P.H. in 6th gear. It's your ride and money, I've been there, done that, and went back :laugh:

Usually around 4500-5000. There is a bit of buzz there, nowhere near what my 06 was but there none the less.
Mine is the same as yours, 4000-4500 for best mileage but only drops a couple mpgs for the next 1000 rpms. Not enough difference to worry about....yet!

OP- sorry for jacking your thread:down:

Any specific brand I should look into or does anyone have one set aside they'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price?
Driven steel are good. Just be sure and get STEEL sprockets.....or if you want trick get supersprox, they're lighter than all steel but have steel teeth for durability.
Stay away from aluminum imo.......have seen WAY too many failures on others bikes with'em and super short lifespans.

A thick skin and the internet go together like a blonde and big b00bs :laugh:

Back