My baby dropped herself in the driveway...

sticky6

Registered
If I wasn't such a mighty tighty tough guy I would sit here with a beer and cry. :(

We went for a nice early breakfast out in the country in a small town. Came back and I parked her just in front of my buddy's driveway. I got off, we started talking (bike still steadily parked) and walk towards his garage. I turned around and I'm like what the fu**.....her front wheel started to roll forward. I bolted towards her and as soon as I ALMOST grabbed her right bar she dropped!!!!!!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I don't know how difficult they are to pick up but she felt light as hell. Probably adrenalin or something but oh my god!!!!! I looked down and noticed the part of the road that hits the pavement is on a slight decline. Her weight must've overcome the stands resistance and slowly started to roll forward.

I can't explain how sad I am. I have that same f*'ed up feeling in my chest as when a girl breaks your heart. I've never been this sad as far as I can remember. I don't know if I should be angry or sad or both.

If I would've forgot to put the kickstand out I can understand it being my fault,(yes is still is i know i know) but my god I don't notice that slight decline and BAM! She decides to fall over.

Please tell me some stories of when you guys dropped your bikes like that. I need to feel better. I'm worse than a woman with ice cream right now!

The best part is I have been looking at the TRex or something frame sliders last night. Bad timing! Oh and did I mention I got her three days ago. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Just the plastic on the left side is a llittle scratched, and then end on my clutch lever broke off. But still.....I really want to cry dammit!! :(

Please tell me some stories of when you guys dropped your bikes like that. I need to feel better. I'm worse than a woman with ice cream right now!

Didn't happen with my Hayabusa (yet), but my BMW rolled off the stand twice on a trip to the Cali dez a few winters ago. I had just serviced the bike and had greased the kickstand pivot. Unless the pavement was perfectly level, she rolled off. You may have heard me yell all the way from San Diego. The second time she rolled off, it was on that crappy chip seal pavement... like dropping the bike on a pile of knives.

New lesson learned: I learned to leave my bike in first gear when I park it. ALWAYS LEAVE IT IN GEAR. Even if the kickstand is greasy and the pavement is sloped, the bike will not roll. This little trick has surely saved me some cuss words over the past few years.

God I know. I always leave a manual car in neutral and use the handbrake coz I dont like when a car is in gear and pushes against the engine/gearbox to keep it from rolling. But this habit now transferred to my bike and holy hell you can bet your butt I'm leaving her in gear from now on.

Is there a way to buy one panel fairing, and can you buy the same color or do you have to spray paint it and get new stickers too?

New lesson learned: I learned to leave my bike in first gear when I park it. ALWAYS LEAVE IT IN GEAR. This little trick has surely saved me some cuss words over the past few years.

+1 BILLION. After I put the bike in gear, I ROLL the bike forward until it STOPS....then I put the kickstand down.

look on flea bay and you should find a good used panel, other wise you can order new OEM panels for like 500 - 600 bucks already to bolt on.

+1 BILLION. After I put the bike in gear, I ROLL the bike forward until it STOPS....then I put the kickstand down.
And that's a dead on description of the best kick stand mod you can do.

Of course mine never falls off the stand.. I just fling it off the race track at 65-70mph and bust every piece of plastic off of it.:laugh:
Yes, Ebay is your friend. I sourced all my replacements from there. Don't worry about finding a pristine same year, same color part, just get a good one and have it painted.:thumbsup:

New lesson learned: I learned to leave my bike in first gear when I park it. ALWAYS LEAVE IT IN GEAR. Even if the kickstand is greasy and the pavement is sloped, the bike will not roll. This little trick has surely saved me some cuss words over the past few years.

Extreme advice :bowdown:

Spooky... i just dropped mine onto my car then onto the floor whilst cleaning it... absolutely GUTTED... feel your pain

I did that will my 600rr. I was just moving my bike back and forth to get it in its spot after playing with my gopro. I must have bumped the kickstand cuz I got off of it then stood next to it for a second and when I started walking I saw it start to fall out of the corner of my eye. It went down, but don't worry, it didn't get damaged to much at all. My neighbors two bikes were right then to cushion the fall like some bike dominoes.:laugh: It sucked then and was expensive to fix his bikes, but its pretty funny now.

you know you did it to yourself... you looked at frame sliders you cursed yourself lol jk man that sucks but everything will be ok

If I wasn't such a mighty tighty tough guy I would sit here with a beer and cry. :(

We went for a nice early breakfast out in the country in a small town. Came back and I parked her just in front of my buddy's driveway. I got off, we started talking (bike still steadily parked) and walk towards his garage. I turned around and I'm like what the fu**.....her front wheel started to roll forward. I bolted towards her and as soon as I ALMOST grabbed her right bar she dropped!!!!!!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I don't know how difficult they are to pick up but she felt light as hell. Probably adrenalin or something but oh my god!!!!! I looked down and noticed the part of the road that hits the pavement is on a slight decline. Her weight must've overcome the stands resistance and slowly started to roll forward.

I can't explain how sad I am. I have that same f*'ed up feeling in my chest as when a girl breaks your heart. I've never been this sad as far as I can remember. I don't know if I should be angry or sad or both.

If I would've forgot to put the kickstand out I can understand it being my fault,(yes is still is i know i know) but my god I don't notice that slight decline and BAM! She decides to fall over.

Read this laddie, it'll cheer you right up my good friend:laugh:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/2012-spring-busa-bash-april-20-22/163079-best-times-worst-times.html

I am feeling your pain. Ive had a bike roll off its kickstand once back when I was young (18) with my 2 week old Brand New GSXR. I parked it in Neautrel next to my moms car. Samething walked away and looked back as she creeped slowly forward falling into my moms car.. It sucks its painful, BUT,,, The parts are replaceable and its not bad if you have full coverage insurance. Its really not that bad cause its cosmetic damage and its all replaceable, Call Justin in the morning, bite the bullet cause parts arent cheap.
Since then I now I make sure I do this when parking my Busa.

1) Turn engine off in 1st gear.
2) Roll the bike up as far is it will go.
2) Kickstand (kickstand mod if you havent done DO IT!) down.
3) Pull the bike back while its down on the kickstand.

I see many park there bikes in netreul, DONT do it.

Cheer up better then blowing an engine or having a wreck and getting injured.:beerchug:

Thanks guys. I took a nap and still feel like crap!

fallenarch...man all i can say is holy sh1t. it sounded like an awesome bash man and your story is funny the way you describe things. i think i would've said screw that and call the wife to pick me up, the wussy i am. :laugh: .

The only problem is that I have to have a buddy help me work on the bike. He showed me some stuff this morning before the run like chain lube and how to adjust the throttle play but anything more mechanically involved is above my fat head. So now I try to keep from hurting her because pushing on your buddy's button to help you fix something makes me feel like sh1t. he's a nice guy but I don't like it. Now I have to ask him to help again! :banghead:

Exactly. We had a straight for miles and I am comfortable on her now, just a little bit. I rolled the throttle on gradually in 6th (no downshift or double clutch stuff) and made it to 150mph before I backed out; yes, she started to scare me. Now that I felt her power I'm not doing that again. And I'm serious. It was a straight so I felt comfortable enough to roll on gradually.
I hit 130mph and twisted the throttle more. My god, it felt like I was in 2nd or 3rd in town and quickly wanted to gain some speed. At that speed the power is still enormous!! She just wanted it and then I backed out slowly. That is no joke. I can clearly see some idiot just yanking it on and on and kill himself.

I'm no oil sultan or something so now I have to save up for the fairing, I'm hoping by the mecry of someone that I can get the same color. I'd hate to ask my buddy to spray it too. Until then I have to ride her like that. the guys at work are going to love this one.

The best part is I have been looking at the TRex or something frame sliders last night. Bad timing! Oh and did I mention I got her three days ago. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Just the plastic on the left side is a llittle scratched, and then end on my clutch lever broke off. But still.....I really want to cry dammit!! :(
When I first started street riding it was on dual sports, no biggie when you drop them off the side stand. By the time I got to plastic bikes I'd learned to look at the ground angle, check the wind direction etc before I parked my bikes. Fortunately I've never dropped a streetbike off the stand.....but like I said I'm anal about parking :laugh:
It sucks that you always seem to have a problem when somethings new......like scratching the shield on your brand new helmet before you even go for a ride :banghead:

That sucks!!!!. But, I think you got all the advice you need. I'm like you when it comes to my cars and leaving them in neutral but, that's a NO NO on bikes . I guess you just learned the hard way why you can't do that :-(

I know it seriously feels like someone ripped my heart out. Now I have to save for fairing and in the meantime ride her like that. I wanted to save for a compressor/tire repair kit/tools etc now I gota do this.

I know it seriously feels like someone ripped my heart out. Now I have to save for fairing and in the meantime ride her like that. I wanted to save for a compressor/tire repair kit/tools etc now I gota do this.

OK here's a couple things you need to learn right away:

1. Sh@t happens. Nobody thinks you're stupid because every single one of us did something stupid like that and still do from time to time.
2. If a friend won't help you out when you go down then they aren't a friend. BTW they aren't looking for you to pay them back directly - you owe it to the next guy you can help out. The wave you give the guy you pass on a motorcycle actually means something it's not just posing. You shouldn't beg off people but if you need help ask for it and take it (been there done that - we all have).
3. There is no shame in sporting some wisdom scratches. Now is the best time to learn - before you spend all that money putting her back new. So get as much saddle time out of her as you can.
4. Learn to break before you try those high speeds. If something happens at 70+ mph can you stop? You need to get that busa in a vacant lot and just get used to her manners.

You dropped it, it's behind you now - move on. If anyone knows it I do - Busas are pretty tough bikes. She will be as good as new soon. :thumbsup:

Back