Tools for short and long rides...any suggestions?

sticky6

Registered
I live in Denver and started to look at some saddle bags for touring through the mountains a few times. I don't know anything about mechanics, but if I do break down and have to figure out what went wrong, what tools would you guys suggest one keep? I also use it for commuting daily.

Anything else I should save up for to buy that comes in handy for you lads on the road?

Check Pashnits site for tire patch kits, but the factory tool bag should do it brother.

Unless you're going to be in VERY, VERY remote locations....a good cell phone to call a reliable insurance company is more than enough. But some of the things I keep nearby on long trips are:
* tire patch kit and bicycle hand pump
* portable stand
* zip ties/duct tape/bungee cords
* spare fuses
* flashlight
* emergency warning triangle

I tour a lot. Here's the list of stuff I carry. It all fits under the rear seat (hump) and in that area by the tail light. The jumper cables are home made and slide down that skinny slot at the rear of the drivers seat. You have to pack it all in there carefully and use all the nooks and crannies, but it fits and it's always with the bike.

Even if you are not handy with tools, chances are that a passerby will stop to help you. There are situations where a credit card and a cell phone just won't get it done. It's best to be as prepared as possible.

Standard Suzuki tool kit
Tire plug kit
12V air compressor ($9 Walmart unit taken out of plastic case)
Digital multi-meter (Harbor Freight $3 special)
Electrical tape
Jumper cables
Spare wire
Tire core tool
Tire gauge
Zip ties
Torx bits (all sizes)
Allen wrenches (Craftsman Long Shank Ball End Set)
Leatherman tool
Vise grips (mini size)
Screwdriver for 1/4" bits (with 1/4" screwdriver bits)
Fuses
Spare nylon straps
Flashlight ($3 Harbor Freight LED)

Back