So there I was... Without a Clutch

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So I was coming home from a friend's going away at a steakhouse in town and I was shifting into fourth or so and the clutch just goes completely free. I look down and the stock pin that holds the lever was gone! I said to myself "Oh... well that's no good". So, knowing that home depot to my right would not carry anything close to what I need I just put my Roadlok key into the hole to hold the clutch lever in place and make it useable enough to get home. When I get home obviously the lock nut that securely holds that lever bolt in place is gone also. I know it was there last weekend because I specifically looked at it. Honda East Justin, guess I will be getting in touch to order a new one :laugh:. Quite odd really how it just back itself out then popped out.

Guess I will have to use some loctite on the new one :dunno:

Here is a picture of how I just slipped my key into the hole to hold it in to be able to use it to get me home :laugh:. I put my lanyard around my hand so if the key fell out I would not lose my keys. Kind of reminds me of the days with my zx6 and the 2 clutch cables that snapped on me (both didnt even have triple digit miles on them even and were installed by different shops each time, yeah it ate clutch cables).

IMAG0036.jpg

RJ,
In town depending on where you were, it would not surprise me if someone took it out. That screw/bolt is very specifically designed NOT to bag out... Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I suspect sabotage... I am glad you made it work- but I didn't leave Bessie out anywhere that I couldn't see her in JVegas.

RJ,
In town depending on where you were, it would not surprise me if someone took it out. That screw/bolt is very specifically designed NOT to bag out... Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I suspect sabotage... I am glad you made it work- but I didn't leave Bessie out anywhere that I couldn't see her in JVegas.

I had been riding for a good few miles so it had to have been there. It may have been loosened though. Who knows. It will definitely make me more mindful to check it from now one. I was on the Western side of Western Blvd at the texas roadhouse on N Marine blvd. We were in there for about 2 and a half hours probably.

Who knows in this place :banghead:

The next one will be loctited up good though as it is not a moving part.

Surprised that you didn't wreck the key.
Wouldn't Home Depot have a bolt that could of fit? Even if just enough to get you home.

Oh well, the key worked, Good Job.

Even if the nut comes off, it wouldn't turn out though. I'm with MC on this one.. SABOTAGE!!! :banghead:

I had the same exact thing happen to me riding my old tl. Ended up using a stick from the side of the road. Glad you made it work.

As other stated I believe that bolt slides thru the top hole but, the bottom hole is threaded and on top of that it has the nut ? Anyways......... This happened to another member a few months ago and he ended up getting a long bolt from a good samaritan that came out of his house to offer a help. I remember reading the thread some time ago. Glad you made it home thanks to your creativity. :thumbsup:

On my first Busa, the 04, ZI had a nut fall off and the screw was backing out before I noticed it.

I probably have one of those nuts, if you want, I will look tomorrow and see. I will just send it to you

Ok Mcgyver, im sorry to say but this has happened before, it happen to a friends bike.
But no one messed with it, he had a left over nut, and could not figure out where it went, well one nite we found out.
The lever will actually turn the bolt out, if the there is no lock nut installed!

Every now and then good maintenance is to remove it and lever wipe clean. Then wipe a little grease on top/ bottom of lever face and on the bolt. When it gets dry, friction backs them out from bolt being dry.

I am happy you made it home with your ride.That was indeed smart of you to make full use of your resources,in time of need and desperation.:thumbsup:

RJ,

It is odd but not unheard of,however, if I were targeting RJ for a lil sabotage :poke: I wouldn't stop at the bolt and lock nut. I would have taken the whole lever.:whistle:

Fix that w/ your keys...:sly:

Quite odd really how it just back itself out then popped out.

Guess I will have to use some loctite on the new one :dunno:

).

When i got my 02 busa it was the first bike that i worked on myself. id switched my levers out among other things. I noticed something moving oddly in my peripheral vision and then I watched my brake lever fly off at 130+ on 495 (never forget it lol) luckily it was the brake lever and not the clutch and the vibration worked it completley free. I got off the next exit and the clutch lever was working on leaving too lol. so i rode home back braking staring at my clutch lever. now i put loc tite on everything... pancakes...burgers everything

Back