speedometer issues

bwminer

Registered
Ok people.......

Rebuilt my 99' with 172,000 over the winter and put it all back together, have some issues:

First, my neutral indicator is erratic at best. When shifting in and out of neutral, it sort of flickers green for a second and then goes away completely.

Second, I broke one leg off of the speedometer nut (the one on the front sprocket) and ran the bike for a week until the new one arrived. During that week, the speedo would read what I simply wrote off as somewhere around a third of normal..... didn't pay too much attention to it, simply deducing that it would be off.

Put the new speedo nut on, and no change in speedo reading! Odometer works fine. Reset the gauges several times now, disconnected the battery over night a few times, all the normal stuff. I notice that the initial speedo sweep only runs the speedo up to 180mph or so (I have the 220 speedo). I'm pretty sure that it used to run all the way up.?

I do have HID's that I put in while the motor was out, but I have disconnected them in troubleshooting with out changes in the gauge issue.

One other symptom is that the fuel consumption reading is very low, and almost seems to count down from full tank to low!!!???

I did have a fried stator connector for a few weeks where I would be stuck in traffic and find myself dying, crank it over, try and move it to a safe place, repeat........ with the fresh motor and higher compression, the voltage has to be pretty good to start normally!

Questions I have:

How does the odometer calculate it's reading; if it is spot on, can I rule out a speedo sensor issue?

Is there a way to re-calibrate the speedo, send it to someone?

Did some of my emergency starter antics fry my gauges?

I am stumped, and really, really do not want to get a 180mph gauge set!!!!!

Thanks

Pull the manual. You can zero the Gen II gauges don't know about the Gen I. Make sure the pickup coil is clean. Don't remember how the Gen I odo / speedo work but I thought it was based on the same sensor.

NOT AN EXPERT just bumping your thread.

Yeah, did all that. I would think if the odometer/trip meter was accurate, the speed sensor would be working properly?! Do you know how to zero out the GenII gauges? May work on GenI, worth trying at this point.

Back