HUGE diff in mpg between winter ethanol blend and summer gas

The Big Red One

Registered
My mpg went up about 8 miles per gallon going from our winter ethanol blend gas to the summer non-ethanol mix.
All I can say is ethanol sucks azz big time :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

i can tell a difference in my truck, picked up 50 miles pwer tank. Can't really judge the busa because i can never have a steady throttle hand :laugh:

The winter blend gets worse mileage because people tend to drive less than in the summer months.
They had to make up for the drop in sales, so now you just have to fill up more often.
Big oil can use any temperature excuses they want.:beerchug:

3+ mpg difference w/SportTrac V8 last week. Non-ethanol gas is hard to find. I have an app on my phone, called " Ethanol Free" . It finds the closest gas stations w/pure gas.

My mpg went up about 8 miles per gallon going from our winter ethanol blend gas to the summer non-ethanol mix.
All I can say is ethanol sucks azz big time :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I hear ya bro, 50+- in summer in AZ with summer gas, then 44-45 mpg in winter with the winter blend. My thoughts are partially blocking off radiator in winter too see if it helps it run hotter/leaner in the winter.

Also your vehicles will burn more fuel when it cold out. Chokes on a carb and cpu on EFI dump more fuel until engines warms up.

Winter blends have fewer btus anyway, even comparing regular to regular. Regular unleaded gasoline has around 114,000 btu/gallon. 10% ethanol blends have around 110,200 btu/gallon. You are buying about 3.5% less energy so your mileage should drop by around 3.5%. Ethanol blends are around 3% cheaper here in Iowa. So, not really much of a difference.

Back