Friend says best way to wash bike is with only water... Sounds like BS...

merczab

Registered
He says that he's read that washing your bike with water and a rag will keep you bike cleaner and longer lasting than if you used a buffer gun or whatnot and used polishing compound, wax, etc...
He says that the chemicals ruin the paint on your bike and that water is better in the long run...
Is this true?

Sleepless Red is around here somewhere, you need to send your friend to talk to him and look at his bike that has almost 100K on it and is still one of the cleanest looking bikes on this site. He uses pledge and I am pretty sure he has been using it for majority of that 100K...

ever heard of WATER SPOTS? what is your friend's background/experience as far as DETAILING?

His experience is the article he read...

I thought it sounded a tad bit ridiculous... Now I feel ridiculous even bringing it up... hahah.

Well what do you guys think the best brand is to clean your bike?
What what exact order are you supposed to do it in?

1. Clean rag wipe down
2. Polishing compound
3. ???

only use compounds if you've created swirls and light scratches in your paint or you're needlessly burning up clear. Regularly wiping down the bike with microfiber / cleaning agent I use multi surface cleaner followed by pledge as a polish / wax, or just low pressure car wash IE: don't pull the trigger, run through all the cycles and then roll it to the sun and dry with a soft cloth / shammy. It's not rocket science... just don't be abrasive and don't press hard / scrub hard to get anything off of it. Let your materials do the work for you.

water and a few drops of dish washing liquid wash clean rinse with hot water and shimmy dry or air dry at hiway speed no chemicals allowed

He says that he's read that washing your bike with water and a rag will keep you bike cleaner and longer lasting than if you used a buffer gun or whatnot and used polishing compound, wax, etc...
He says that the chemicals ruin the paint on your bike and that water is better in the long run...
Is this true?

I don't wash my bike that often. I just don't like using a garden hose on her.

Show him this picture and tell him the wheel has over 22K miles on it when I took this picture. Also, tell him that I only use Pledge to polish my bike.
0a1cd272.jpg

Just in case he wants to see the bike. This one was taken a couple of months ago. She's more than 4 years old in this pic. I just want to show what Pledge can do to the bike.
774c86ab.jpg

I don't wash my bike that often. I just don't like using a garden hose on her.

Show him this picture and tell him the wheel has over 22K miles on it when I took this picture. Also, tell him that I only use Pledge to polish my bike.
0a1cd272.jpg

Just in case he wants to see the bike. This one was taken a couple of months ago. She's more than 4 years old in this pic. I just want to show what Pledge can do to the bike.
774c86ab.jpg

Which Pledge product do you use?

I wipe down with windex then polish with pledge. You wouldn't believe how good it looks after

This pic is after the windex wipe down only. Pledges adds a lot more shine

image-2281998884.jpg

i use griots garage quick detail spray and it leaves an awesome finish....just spray it on a rag and wipe down the bike after youve washed and dried it.

Funny cuz I was using spray detailer on my bike, no water or soap. Then I deployed and we us windex then pledge (yellow can) on our helicopter windows (plexiglass) so I was planning to do the same on my bike when I got home. Now I def am going to because your bikes look immaculate. Save me a lil dough too.:thumbsup:

Luci and Cherri get power washed followed by leaf blower dry to prevent the spots. I don't care if they aren't the cleanest bikes around.

Back