Gen 2 forks on gen 1!!!

07vigorblue

Donating Member
Registered
I'm planning on doing this to my Busa for better brakes. Super streetbike Magazine said they slide right in gen 1 trees. The question is will my wheel and rotors work. I already have my parts lined out just need a yes or no before I pull tr trigger!!

I have heard the gen 2 rotors don't bolt up to our wheels. Hopefully someone can shed some light on that.

I have been researching the same swap. With what I can come up with is you have to use the whole front end. Forks, wheels, rotors.

I emailed SSB and posted in their Facebook page and they have not responded to me. Lol I do like the gen 2 wheels over gen 1. What is need to make the rear wheel fit.

I don't know if this works but i have a set of 09 forks I will part with (forks only, no triple clamps or brake calipers).

Pretty simple swap. I did it on my 06 but I just a whole complete new take off front end except for wheel. SO I didn't even worry about the triples just used new ones, but if I remember right they will work but one of them (upper or lower?) maybe have to be opened up a little for one or the other. Can't remember but will work. You will need a gen 2 axle though. 5mm spacers for the calipers and you then keep your 320mm gen 1 rotors.

Now on the wheel, it works no problem with the spacers and gen 2 axle, but don't quote me cause I can't remember if the rotors do need a 1.5 shim out from wheel to center them up in calipers correctly. Will go right on and work fine if you have pads that have a little use on them so the inner pad has worn down a touch, but with brand new pads the inners pad may be just a tad too thick and it will rub and that's why the need to shim out rotor that 1.5mm. I do know I had to do it on my 1k wheel on a gen 2 and pretty sure it was the same on the gen 1 wheel on gen 2 front. I would check but I just sent my gen 1 down the road. ???

So other than forks,calipers,axle,spacers you should be good to go. Of course I take no blame when when it's not as simple for you as it sounds. :laugh:

DSCN8355.jpg

DSCN2237.jpg

Oh , you will need a another fender too. ??? Either a Gen 2 , or can you go with the some 6/7.5 & 1k fenders easy on the gen 2 forks. that one on the red one is off my 05 750 that was an extra and just painted to match at the time.

Pretty simple swap. I did it on my 06 but I just a whole complete new take off front end except for wheel. SO I didn't even worry about the triples just used new ones, but if I remember right they will work but one of them (upper or lower?) maybe have to be opened up a little for one or the other. Can't remember but will work. You will need a gen 2 axle though. 5mm spacers for the calipers and you then keep your 320mm gen 1 rotors.

Now on the wheel, it works no problem with the spacers and gen 2 axle, but don't quote me cause I can't remember if the rotors do need a 1.5 shim out from wheel to center them up in calipers correctly. Will go right on and work fine if you have pads that have a little use on them so the inner pad has worn down a touch, but with brand new pads the inners pad may be just a tad too thick and it will rub and that's why the need to shim out rotor that 1.5mm. I do know I had to do it on my 1k wheel on a gen 2 and pretty sure it was the same on the gen 1 wheel on gen 2 front. I would check but I just sent my gen 1 down the road. ???

So other than forks,calipers,axle,spacers you should be good to go. Of course I take no blame when when it's not as simple for you as it sounds. :laugh:

lol Im buying a complete front end minus wheel and calipers. also why cant i use my fender

can i run a GSXR 1K front master cylnder Also? would go Awesome with my gent 2 brakes, hel lines, and extreme pro pads:laugh:

Back