R77 vs R77 EPA compliant

E Zurcher

Registered
I'm sure the EPA compliant ones are quieter. I'm looking for moderately louder than stock but not super loud as to piss off everyone around me.

Anyone heard both?

Performance difference?

Other comments?

Mine are non-complient and are VERY quiet. Sound amazing, you won't piss anyone off with these. They are slip ons though, not the full system.

I have the CF R-77 slip-ons and it was "quiet" without the inserts. However, the sound perked up when I switched to V&H headers :thumbsup:

How loud is "Perked up" I want louder but not too loud.

Don't get me wrong with the stock headers, the slip on's are quite a bit louder than stock, with a deep, aggressive tone. They just aren't D&D or Brocks Alienhead loud. They sound "grown up" and clean. :laugh:

How loud is "Perked up" I want louder but not too loud.

Not sure what you're threshold is for loud but before the headers: could hardly hear the bike idling in my driveway while I was inside the house. I am pretty confident you will find the R-77 WITHOUT quiet inserts to be very tolerable (and so will your neighbors)

i have the slip-ons cf, non epa if there is such a thing, and they are plenty loud. great tone and scream when you unload the rpm's. definitely, not obnoxiously loud at idle but without question you will notice them. eventually, i will snatch up the vance&hines headers for a bit more punch when i save up some nickels.

SO it's sounding like non-epa slip-ons without quiet inserts then install the quiet inserts when I swap out the header and I should be good.
Anyone have the EPA compliant and actually heard the difference between the two?
What are the physical differences, is it just more packing or is the design totally different?

SO it's sounding like non-epa slip-ons without quiet inserts then install the quiet inserts when I swap out the header and I should be good.
Anyone have the EPA compliant and actually heard the difference between the two?
What are the physical differences, is it just more packing or is the design totally different?

sorry, yes without inserts. mine are sitting on my workbench since the day those babies came in the mail. the throaty sound they make made me leave the inserts out. i wish you were in range i'd let you take the old girl for a rip to judge for yourself.

I'm sure the EPA version has cats in the mufflers, with multiple chambers to meet EPA sound and emmissions regs just like the stockers, compared to the straight through no cat non EPA version. The EPA version will weigh more, flow less giving less power, and put out more heat.

Back