First Ride on Ohlins

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Got done with the install of the Ohlins this even. It was pretty simple but still a pretty big job. First riding impressions are Holy Crap! I am comparing them to stock undersprung suspension but man is the difference amazing. You can feel everything. I guess i was sort of imagining a magic carpet but that's not it at all. Feels like you know exactly what the wheel is doing.

pictures to follow.

Man you are not wasting time!!!! I love that setup but waaaayyyy too much money!!

Rock on! I knew you had inquired about them but didn't know you were ready to pull the trigger. :thumbsup:

Glad your mods worked out for you! Ohlins stuff is some very trick and nice suspension.....:thumbsup: knee dragging time Willie!:poke::laugh:

So are they a worthwhile swap compared to the stock set up if someone is riding only on the street ?

Glad your mods worked out for you! Ohlins stuff is some very trick and nice suspension.....:thumbsup: knee dragging time Willie!:poke::laugh:

Still need some assistance with setup. Soometime when you are free. I know how to do it but it takes two people to measure sag and stuff. Your opinion would be helpful too, although it sprung for a pig (me) so you may find it a bit stiff.

Unlike stock suspension, when you are making fine adjustments, take notes of your starting points, and then ONE click at a time!
Nope. Ohlines sends them setup the way they think will be good but you still have to set sag, etc. and dial them in. Hopefully I will have some time soon to do it.

So are they a worthwhile swap compared to the stock set up if someone is riding only on the street ?

After a short ride I would say absolutely. If you want to ride fast and safe, this would be the thing to do although there are some cheaper alternatives that would work. I hear people say it's not worth it on the street and then they spend $2000 on a n exhaust. Basically "worth it" is a relative thing, but so far I think my Busa just jumped up to another level as far as a high performance road bike. Also I am much more likely to use suspension than even more horsepower.

I have been thinking is a Busa really as good as a BMW or Ducati and the answer is yes, with some help. So I have been upgrading with the goal to build a really great fast road bike. The Ohlins sort of puts the suspension question to bed for good. Now on to brakes, wheels, etc.

This also means I am committed to the Busa, as I now have too much in it to sell it:shocked:

Depends on what you want to get out of the bike. I did my first 2 track days on the completly stock setup. My first step was to respring the stock stuff and get it setup correctly. That was like night and day over the completely stock setup. I ran it like that for couple of years on the street and track. Then I went to ohlins front and rear and had it professionally tuned. Once again like night and day over the resprung and tuned stock setup. You also need to keep in mind that to keep the Ohlins setup working at those levels, you need to service them every year. You may get away with every other year if you are only riding on the street.

After a short ride I would say absolutely. If you want to ride fast and safe, this would be the thing to do although there are some cheaper alternatives that would work. I hear people say it's not worth it on the street and then they spend $2000 on a n exhaust. Basically "worth it" is a relative thing, but so far I think my Busa just jumped up to another level as far as a high performance road bike. Also I am much more likely to use suspension than even more horsepower.

I have been thinking is a Busa really as good as a BMW or Ducati and the answer is yes, with some help. So I have been upgrading with the goal to build a really great fast road bike. The Ohlins sort of puts the suspension question to bed for good. Now on to brakes, wheels, etc.

This also means I am committed to the Busa, as I now have too much in it to sell it:shocked:

It is a very expensive piece of kit no doubt and does make the bike all the more difficult to part ways with. I am sure the ride of your bike must have improved tremendously over stock but has it become to hard since you mention you could feel every indentation on the road surface. Basically i am contemplating the ohlins setup but i am worried it may become too hard to actually enjoy the bike on the not so well carpeted roads in my part of the world.

It is a very expensive piece of kit no doubt and does make the bike all the more difficult to part ways with. I am sure the ride of your bike must have improved tremendously over stock but has it become to hard since you mention you could feel every indentation on the road surface. Basically i am contemplating the ohlins setup but i am worried it may become too hard to actually enjoy the bike on the not so well carpeted roads in my part of the world.

Not hard at all. What I should have said is that you know every bump is there but it's not harsh at all. I think any street rider (fast or slow) would feel this is a better, more comfortable ride.

Back