Cush Drive Question

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
Took a 500 mile ride yesterday and after the first 150 miles or so I started getting the old frozen link click in the rear. I checked everything and everything with alignment and all adjusters seemed tight. Just got the bike out of the shop and while it was in they threw the black wet chain lube all over it and my swingarm. Anyway the first thing I did when I got in last night was throw it on the stand and clean that crap off and sprayed her down with chain wax. While it was on the stand I noted a wobble in the sprocket. This was an eyeball operation. Didn't put a stright edge on it or anything. Probably a good idea.

Should there be a noticeable wobble ? That's the question.

New rear wheel, tire, and rear wheel bearings just installed at the shop because of an accident.

By the way, I took about a 20 mile ride today and no click. Is it possible that they didn't get the hub seated correctly in the cush drive ?

Thats an odd one. The best way to really make sure is to pull the rear wheel and inspect the EVERYTHING bearings / bushings and the rubber cush's hell who knows what they could have fukd up? Anything is possible from things I have seen by others trying to perform repair work.
NO there should be no wobble in the sprocket hub assembly should be dead nutz!

If your not sure pull the parts fische and follow it for correct orentation.

Thinking about it. I believe the rubber cush's have nipples on them that fit into the hub assembly.. Maybe they got one or two 180 out this may cause a wobble from an offset

the cush drives are only really going to go in 1 way ... they do have a nipple, and they will only go into the hub one way..*just replaced mine the other day*

the cush drives are only really going to go in 1 way ... they do have a nipple, and they will only go into the hub one way..*just replaced mine the other day*

So, are you saying its impossible to have 3 cush's with the nipple out towards the sprocket and one in towards the wheel?

well if motorcycle mechanic installed them that way, they have no right to be around a motorcycle.... BUT if its reversed they prolly wouldn't be able to get the rear tire on anyways. if that hub sticks out even a fraction of a inch, you wont be able to get the brake caliper bracket back on the bike. that hub has to be all the way on.

well if motorcycle mechanic installed them that way, they have no right to be around a motorcycle.... BUT if its reversed they prolly wouldn't be able to get the rear tire on anyways. if that hub sticks out even a fraction of a inch, you wont be able to get the brake caliper bracket back on the bike. that hub has to be all the way on.

There is an obvious issue somewhere most likely induced from the mechanic that worked on the bike. The very few times I let a dealer mechanic work on my bike they did not perform the job up to spec.
The question here was I pointed him to an area to check your stating its impossible to screw up in the area.

Do you have a GENII to make these kind of statements and advice on fitment?

There is an obvious issue somewhere most likely induced from the mechanic that worked on the bike. The very few times I let a dealer mechanic work on my bike they did not perform the job up to spec.
The question here was I pointed him to an area to check your stating its impossible to screw up in the area.

Do you have a GENII to make these kind of statements and advice on fitment?

nope i don't have a GENII, but then again nowhere in this post has there been mention of a GENII. So I was not aware of that fact.

SO, I guess the GENII's have more play between the hub, brake bracket and swing arm to make it possible to have to have the cush drives installed backwards and still have it all go together. GEN I's don't, they have tighter tolerances.

I would say they forgot to put the spacer back in. The cushion will not make it wobble only a viabration. there is a spacer on one side.

Chuck

Took a 500 mile ride yesterday and after the first 150 miles or so I started getting the old frozen link click in the rear. I checked everything and everything with alignment and all adjusters seemed tight. Just got the bike out of the shop and while it was in they threw the black wet chain lube all over it and my swingarm. Anyway the first thing I did when I got in last night was throw it on the stand and clean that crap off and sprayed her down with chain wax. While it was on the stand I noted a wobble in the sprocket. This was an eyeball operation. Didn't put a stright edge on it or anything. Probably a good idea.

Should there be a noticeable wobble ? That's the question.

New rear wheel, tire, and rear wheel bearings just installed at the shop because of an accident.
Robert, glad you're back on 2 wheels :thumbsup:
Worn cush rubbers will have front to back slop with the sprocket and carrier.......and possibly a very slight in/out wobble. Worn cush rubbers are most noticeable because they give a big lurch every time you're on/off the throttle. I literally wore my original rubbers out in 7k miles of hard throttle twisting. I went to school to be a tech, didn't end up being one, but I do ALL my own work. Unfortunately since the shop did all that stuff to your rear-end ( :laugh: ) the only way to be sure its right and you'll be safe on the bike is to pull it apart and double check everything :banghead: I know its work you shouldn't have to do, but unfortunately the way the world works thats really the best thing to do.

If you opt to go with aftermarket heavy-duty cush rubbers like the red Sensei brand I run, be prepared to use grease on the nipples (damn this thread is getting sexy lol) to get them in, they are a SUPER tight fit......and are VERY hard, good for the long run, but at first before they soften up some they are going to make the bike feel very harsh in the drivetrain area. They don't do much shock absorption until you get some miles on them. In fact if you're not a real aggressive throttle twister and got some decent mileage out of your stockers, I'd go with stock again......they give a plusher ride :thumbsup:

I think I'll put a straight edge on it and see what happens. Changed out to the HD rubbers this winter and had to literally stand on the sprocket to press them in :laugh:

Check really close Robert. Make sure they re-installed the spacer on the right side. If they put all new bearings in the wheel it would be easy to forget.

dadofthree said:
I think I'll put a straight edge on it and see what happens. Changed out to the HD rubbers this winter and had to literally stand on the sprocket to press them in :laugh:

Soapy water helps with the install. But yea they are tight.

:poke: take it apart, check everything out, put it back together.
:beerchug: should not take more than a couple beers to get it done.

everything should be tight, no play or wobble.

???and yea, there is no way to put a crush rubber in backwards. :laugh:

:poke: take it apart, check everything out, put it back together.
:beerchug: should not take more than a couple beers to get it done.

everything should be tight, no play or wobble.

???and yea, there is no way to put a crush rubber in backwards. :laugh:

Cush not crush , I'm still under 270 ...... most days :laugh:

Well, just changed sprockets today and remembered this post. So I took a cush out and flipped it over. your WRONG!!!! They can be flipped anmd placed in the hub incorrectly as I expected. This would even cause an offset if one or 2 were installed backwards..
If your not sure 100% about something when trying to help someone troubleshoot an issue dont guess it just makes more difficult for the problem to be found.

In the picture you will see the cush that is installed incorrectly with the yellow arrow next to it. Yes you can place the hub back on with a cush installed incorrectly.

Cush.jpg

Yep, you gotta take a look at the cush drive - something isn't right. Don't be afraid to use some grease in there to seat the cush drive in completely (which may be a challenge), and to seat the sprocket assembly all the way in. Failure on either of those would create a wobble, as well as unevent stretch on a chain.

Back