Advice to stop the shoulder ache

dwilson

Registered
Ok, I know the topic has probably been posted before , but Ill ask anyway. Just got back from a 2 day 700 miles twisty mountain roads ride . By the second day my shoulders ached so bad couldnt even hold on any longer. I am skeptical of changing riding position with helibars or spacers . Will they alter the handling of the bike. Any info appreciated. Dan

Conditioning. I just did 850ish miles in a couple of days on mostly two-lane twisty mountain roads with the girlfriend this weekend. The whole goal of that trip was to get us back in shape. Have some long trips planned this year. :)

On long rides, make sure you change position often. Also, support your body with your abs and legs and not your arms. Comfort mods could include a new seat, lower pegs, heli bars, and I love my cruise control. I never hurt on our trip to the Bash, other than normal fatigue.

500 miles first day on way to bash wore me out. But by the end of week and time came to ride home I was used to it. I rode 840 miles one day in 10.5 hours and next day I felt fine. I only stopped for gas and a smoke or to eat quickly. Not more than a half hour or so. It helped me to get off bike and stretch a bit when filling up. Five to ten mins off and I was ready to burn thru another tank.

I love my helibars, and the effects in handling are very minimal. Everyone's individual skill is far more important than the difference an inch makes when it comes down to chucking your bike into a lean. I can still carve up the canyons easy. the throttle meister may even make a bigger difference. I can role for miles on mine with both hands resting on the tank bag. LOVE IT!!!!

Attachments

• knee down.bmp
    22 KB · Views: 245
Thats kind of what I thought . But am looking for thoughts on it. :beerchug:

Stretches during gas stops. Pain meds (Motrin, Alleve, etc.) on a schedule regardless of symptoms. Actually boils down to your endurance and only way I know how to improve is: more long rides...and conditioning :thumbsup:

Actually , the short highway rides didnt bother me , I found it was from going back down the mountains in twisty turning roads all day that my bodyweight was leaning forward. As for exercise Im in the gym 4 to 5 days a week for the past 10 to 15 years . Were going on a 4 day ride in august and I dont want to feel that wiped out again . Looks like Ill be doing longer rides up to that .

I just came back from my 4 day trip just short of 1400 miles to the N.C. and T.N. mountain trip. On Saturday rode from 7AM till 8PM. The only body parts that got sore were 1) my azz during the interstate rides (3 stops for gas,smoke,eat nature bars, bathroom and drink water) 380 miles.
On my mountain rides which averaged 250-300 miles a day the onlything that got sore were my inner thighs from constanly shifting my body position on the seat.
What helps.
1) Goody / BC Powders I usually will take anywhere from 3-4 a day during riding 2 before and 1 mid day.
2) Water and Gatorade to keep hydrated, if you deprive your water intake along with potasium your muscles will ache much quicker. Thats why I say 50/50 water and gatorade.

The only riding position mods I have done to my 09 are I made spacers to lift the handlebars higher. I dont know the exact amount of rise but its the highest they will go.

I am 40 yrs old 6' 7" and I also have psoriatic arthritis.

500 miles first day on way to bash wore me out. But by the end of week and time came to ride home I was used to it. I rode 840 miles one day in 10.5 hours and next day I felt fine. I only stopped for gas and a smoke or to eat quickly. Not more than a half hour or so. It helped me to get off bike and stretch a bit when filling up. Five to ten mins off and I was ready to burn thru another tank.

840 miles in 10.5 Hours... Doing the math that would be a speed of 80 MPH. You would have stopped for gas atleast 4 times, averaging 20 mins a stop. minus 80 minutes that from 10.5 gives you 9 hours and 10 minutes equalling to an average speed of 91.7 MPH!!:whistle:

Actually , the short highway rides didnt bother me , I found it was from going back down the mountains in twisty turning roads all day that my bodyweight was leaning forward. As for exercise Im in the gym 4 to 5 days a week for the past 10 to 15 years . Were going on a 4 day ride in august and I dont want to feel that wiped out again . Looks like Ill be doing longer rides up to that .

Sounds like the same kind of riding I did this weekend with the girlfriend on the pillion. Two twelve-hour days. Imagine supporting your weight plus somebody else when she starts getting tired. Take a few rides. Your body will adjust. If your shoulders are hurting that bad, work on using more leg/ab. Helibars and stuff might help, but my feeling is this: I don't think you can make this scoot pain-free for long days, and anybody who says otherwise is likely just a touch masochistic. I think the best mod for that goal is a cruiser or (sport)tourer. I'm 5'11, 170 lbs, and I don't work out. I do a lot of work though. :)

I love taking long trips on my 07. I prefer it to my cruiser. But the cruiser doesn't wear me out near as much after a stretch of 10-12 hour days.

I have helibars and just got a Corbin seat. They help a little, which is better then nothing.
If you were going down hill and all your weight was forward, that probably means that you weren't holding yourself up with your legs.
I busa tank is designed so that you can squeeze your knees into it. That will take a lot of the weight off your arms.
I have to remind myself to squeeze the tank quite often and every time I do it takes the pressure off my arms.
So if you workout alot take a little more time to build your legs up. JMHO.

If you try any of the stuff suggested let us know what works and what didn't. :please:

Really , thats all you got

Everything I normally say had been said :poke:

Where's the shnizzle she rides all the time ........ My longest one way 8 hrs 29 mins / 517.01 miles to meet my friend Don in Montgomery and ride down to the Busa Babe Bash ....... Great times, great memories

Everything I normally say had been said :poke:

Where's the shnizzle she rides all the time ........ My longest one way8 hrs 29 mins / 517.01 miles to meet my friend Don in Montgomery and ride down to the Busa Babe Bash ....... Great times, great memories

Not eight and half hours, not 8 hours and 30 minutes but 8 hrs and 29 minutes.. :rofl: do we have the tenth of the 29 minutes? LOL! Not exactly Cannonball run times but you are posting legal times..:goodboy:
:beerchug: jus couldnt resist Rob :beerchug:

Back