Been peeling stickers off my bike and I think there is clear coat over it?

merczab

Registered
So I've been peeling off these silver aftermarket stickers off of my bike like mad, (I haven't taken any pictures yet), but I'm starting to notice that as I peel them off, there is a layer of clear coat over it, associated with the entire bike.

It was apparently a "show bike" so is it possible that those stickers actually came with the bike and that the previous owner never put them on?

I'm past the point of no return now, so I have to peel it all off, I plan to use scratch removers and other things to cover up some of the blemishes caused by my incessant digging into the stickers.
Did I ruin my bike?
Is there a way, once I clean it, wax it, scratch remove it, detail it, etc etc..., that I can just buy some sort of clear coat to fill in the gaps on my bike?

Also, do you guys need pictures to even understand what the hell I'm talking about?

I have an idea of what "damage" you have done and depending on how deep the gouges are, buff-and-wax may not be enough to correctly repair the gouges. Best of luck.

Kinda need to see the stickers to know what you are talking about. Factory stickers on a Hayabusa are not clearcoated over except the tank. I can't imagine peeling them off and noticing the clear coming off. More specifically, I can't imgaine being able to peel them off.

Might help (if you didn't do this) to use a heat gun on low to help soften the adhesive. Take your time and heat it up slowly.

Pictures would be helpful if you want more accurate advice instead of us just guessing what it looks like.

yeah, you're not gonna be able to peel stickers out from under clear without seriously seriously trying and doing some very very noticable damage. If the stickers were put on uncured paint they may have shrunk into it a bit and are partly 'one' with the clear, and will leave divits, or finger nail marks. Pictures would help a LOT to see how bad it is.

I've been reading online that people put chrome decals on their bike and clear coat over it.
I didn't know he coated over it, and so I ripped through it.

There's gaps in the bike now from the missing clear coat, and I was thinking of spraying a layer of clear coat over it, will that work?
I'm going to take pics right now.

It looks goddamn horrible in those pics, but I didn't wipe it with goo gone or anything yet.
But you can clearly see the clear coat ripped away, far from the stickers.

I'm not sure what to do. Since I already peeled half of them off, it'll look worse if I just leave them now.

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg

The first one I removed wasn't under a clear coat. Most of them came off pretty easy. Which is the most confusing part.

You jacked your paint job up pretty good....thats going to be an expensive fix. Shoulda left them alone :whistle: Its going to hurt resale a bunch too when its time to sell if you don't fix it :banghead:
One good thing is others will learn from you're mistake......

You are going to need a professional paint shop or a very good friend with some paint skills to straighten that out. No amount of wet sanding and buffing is going to help much. You are right the emblems had clear over them. The exposed clear will continue to peel in a very irregular and ragged manner. JMHO

I appreciate it.
I finally got it all off, plan to fix it with absolutely no knowledge of how to paint.
I'll update with pics if you guys care.

It always works out in the end!

No fixing large areas of clear.....save yourself a bung of sleepless nights, and just get it re sprayed. Speaking from experience: just dropped $300 to have my tank on my Dyna resprayed because of some "enthusiastic" buffing with a cyclo orbital. Supposedly near impossible to burn through a clear coat with one of these....
Apparently not, lol.

image-1080672207.jpg

image-1080672207.jpg

Repaint. The good thing is you can pick out your color and scheme so it really becomes "yours" now. All good in the end as you pointed out.

Back