questions, interested & shopping for gen I

Busa Rookie

Banned
i was considering getting a Gen 1 for a daily (on the nice days in summer)

what are good shift points for fuel economy
oil/filter changes every 5000 miles?
how often do you lube the chain up?

great fuel economy - i get mid 40's

oil - every 3-5000mi

chain - every morning or every 500 or so miles.

the Hayabusa is a rock solid bike that hardly ever has problems when left alone and not modded to heck.

get one! you'll love it! :thumbs:

i was considering getting a Gen 1 for a daily (on the nice days in summer)

what are good shift points for fuel economy
oil/filter changes every 5000 miles?
how often do you lube the chain up?

The cool thing about a Hayabusa is that the torque curve comes up before 3000 rpms. You can shift it like a Chevy 3/4 ton if you want to. When I'm on the road, I shift at 3000-4000. I'm getting as high as 50 mpg on the backroads.

The owners book specifies chain lube and oil change intervals. Use that as a guide.

The cool thing about a Hayabusa is that the torque curve comes up before 3000 rpms. You can shift it like a Chevy 3/4 ton if you want to. When I'm on the road, I shift at 3000-4000. I'm getting as high as 50 mpg on the backroads.

The owners book specifies chain lube and oil change intervals. Use that as a guide.

My 3/4 ton Chevy would pull through all 5 gears from a dead stop using just the clutch, never touching the gas. I miss that thing. :laugh:

Like Trout said, the owners manual gives specific numbers on the information you're looking for. Suzuki recommends conservative numbers that will never steer you wrong. They even specify shift points. :beerchug:

The Gen II has been known to get better MPG. You can find pretty good deals on them now. Good luck

i like the body style of then Gen I alittle more (nothing against 2 owners) that & the aluminum frame of the 99-00s

thanks for all the info guys! im super stoked to find "mine"

Get a 2003 model and up Gen 1, they have updated starter and gears, they are better if your battery runs low or flat and wont break casings. Also 2002 - models have 32 bit ECU making flashing easier. Make sure to check 2nd gear and 5-6th gear, that there are no problems there,take a test ride and do a full throttle roll on in 2nd and 5-6th if it feels like the clutch is slipping then walk away otherwise it will become costly to repair. Good oil, and regular sevices will see the busa well into the future.
Good Luck

ended up getting an 00... not to go against advice on newer versions but with mods/paint/includes extras alone cost more then im paying for the bike...

now i can use gas to clean the chain?
what about to lube it? that can spray?

TO clean the chain, I use a spray lube like WD-40 on a rag, and wipe the chain WITH THE ENGINE OFF until it is clean, then wipe again with a dry rag. Spray lube, I use Maxima chain wax, but lots of people here use that Dupont telfon spray from Lowes.

You can also use kerosene on the chain, but I have great results with my method, so I am not going to change

Back