How did this happen?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I took my bike to the shop to let them change the oil and adjust the chain. I had my own oil and filter, so it was about $60. Worth it to me to not crawl around on my hands and knees doing gink work.

The guy has the bike up on the stand and comes and gets me. The rear brake pads are gone and it's metal on metal!
The front pads are fine. I try to not use the rear brakes much, since it's bad if you lock them. It baffles me how I could have gone through the pads so fast on the rear. They never made a sound or gave any indication that there was a problem.

I'm going to do as Sport Riding Techniques suggests and move the brake pedal down so that I have to really stretch my foot to use it.

I hate these kinds of "gotcha" moments.

Floyd

Odd, did you get the pads to make sure they were bein honest? How many miles ya got? Any rubbing of the pad when not pushing the pedal? I learned alot about brakes at the bash:laugh:

Odd, did you get the pads to make sure they were bein honest? How many miles ya got? Any rubbing of the pad when not pushing the pedal? I learned alot about brakes at the bash:laugh:

Not yet. But, I intend to get them before they get paid. I think there were about 6,000 miles on them. The guy held a flash light on the place where the pads were supposed to be. I'm not sure, wish I'd been more observant. It's a stealership, so I will triple check.

You know that is what I was thinking. I remember when I first got the bike, I thought the pedal was set too low, and I moved it up. From what I've read since, low is a good idea. Keeps you from locking the rear.

This season, seems like every damn thing including the weather is determined to keep me from riding. ???

Whats a gink...???

[h=1]gink**[/h]Gink is a slang term for a boy or a man that might seem odd or foolish.

[h=2]Definition of GINK[/h]slang : person, guy

1. gink
a racial slur used to describe someone of Indian descent.......... I have never heard that one...:dunno:

2. Gink
female genitalia/
(plural) a group of strange friends (the ginks)
im off to meet the ginks tonight, hope nobody gets drunk and gets there ginks out!...... Still lost....:dunno:

3. gink
It's been said that a gink is someone who farts underwater and eats their bubbles......... Only the Urban dictionary......:rofl::rofl:
"Jeremy is such a gink! Lenny caught him eating his fart bubbles in the tub again!"

I still don't know what the hell a Gink is .... :banghead:

Thinking back to last winter. I put my bike up on stands and start it once a week and let it run until the fan comes on.
Last winter I noticed that the rear tire didn't turn while the bike was in neutral which seemed odd at the time. I bet the rear brake was dragging then.

About six months earlier, I had new tires put on and later found the axle nut had no cotter pin. I got a wrench, and the weight of the wrench started the nut backing off. I torqued it to the right specs. I don't know if that is related or not.

Could be that your foot is just slightly pressing onto the brake lever while riding just enough for the pads to engage and make contact with the rotor. That will definitely eat up pads very soon.

@ FloydV - My rear tyre does not spin when the bike is in neutral on the stand. And its been like this right from the factory floor.

I am still on stock rear pads after 25K miles, but I do not use my rear brake much at all. I mainly use it to cancel the cruise control and at stop lights to hold the bike still once it has been stopped by the front brakes.

Interesting. Mine had always turned until this last winter. It's just the oil between the plates making it rotate slowly. When the bike warmed up the tire would stop turning as the oil thinned. But, last winter, I noticed it didn't turn, and that it was hard to turn in the opposite direction against the pull of the clutch.

Still, I remember when I first got the bike I adjusted the brake pedal up, since it seemed hard to reach. I may, as you say, let my foot rest on it without realizing. I'm sure going to put the pedal down now. It puzzles me that it made no noise even when it started hitting metal.

That's my life experience though. When you think everything is fine it is the time to look out for next bad thing coming your way.

Floyd

no body but myself works on my bikes and I check all of them regularly. never will get to "metal to metal" in any aspect. :banghead:

Back