Is there room enough to stop

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I have found a totally flat and smooth section of road that seems to be asphalt (around here that is rare--mostly it's chip seal which is crap to ride on), but it is .9 miles. The start is from an intersection and the endpoint is a fairly sudden elevation which would likely cause a bike to go airborne.

If I start from the intersection, do you think I could hit 160 or 170 and have room to slow way down before I run out of flat road? I've done this on much longer pieces of highway, but I never noticed how long it took me to get to 60 or so, and there was no rush to slow down.

It's a perfect piece of road with no place to for a car to come out and total visibility to the end.

It makes me a little nervous because running past either endpoint would be bad.

Considering a Busa can do 150ish in 1/4 mile I was say that is enough room to do and get on the brakes pretty quickly....

However, BY NO MEANS am I recommending it!! Why not just head to a drag strip

The nearest one is about a hundred miles.

I like to get out on back roads and run twisties and not have to look for John Law everywhere. I ran across this spot just be accident. Why it is asphalt when everything else is chip seal beats me, but it looked inviting (I was in a car at the time).

I'd say where, but a lot of cops read these forums. And this state has a way over abundance of them. Every time their is a minor fender bender, three of them show up. They don't have much to do except generate money for the coffers.

Just under a mile i'd say you have no problem since I can reach those speeds and then some in half a mile, I do strongly agree with the dragstrip though or if you want to run your bike to the top speed try the Texas mile. Regardless, never take your bike to those speeds on punlic roads, I know I never do :laugh:

We all know that going to the drag strip is the safe and sane thing to do but let's face it... A lot of us have found ourselves hitting triple digits on the highways. :laugh: The problem I have with the safe & sane way is they always want you to remove parts from your bike or they restrict you in some sort of way, so since I only want to do this once I just say the hell with it. I'd love to find a stretch of road like that and see what speed it will top out at.

Just under a mile i'd say you have no problem since I can reach those speeds and then some in half a mile, I do strongly agree with the dragstrip though or if you want to run your bike to the top speed try the Texas mile. Regardless, never take your bike to those speeds on punlic roads, I know I never do :laugh:

Sure you don't. And you only ride it to church! :laugh:

Ya, you should be fine with no problem. You slow down really fast from the wind drag at those speeds too. Just sit up and use your body as a brake, but remember to hold on. If you don't feel comfortable just make a slower pass first and get a good feel for it. Have fun.

Considering a Busa can do 150ish in 1/4 mile I was say that is enough room to do and get on the brakes pretty quickly....

However, BY NO MEANS am I recommending it!! Why not just head to a drag strip

pfftt.. safety, DO IT, you wont!!:laugh:

Like everyone else has said dragstrip is the safest place, but I don't know anyone here yet that has opened it up on a public road. I have hit that # a couple of times its not the safest but it's my bike, my butt, my money so I use it how I want. Just advice at those speeds make sure your tires are good your pads are up to date and don't grab a handleful of front brake after you left off she comes down pretty quick anyways. Have fun.

Ya, you should be fine with no problem. You slow down really fast from the wind drag at those speeds too. Just sit up and use your body as a brake, but remember to hold on. If you don't feel comfortable just make a slower pass first and get a good feel for it. Have fun.

I was thinking start out slow and work up. Good way to check the road for debris too. It's short enough, and is pretty open so Barney will have a hard time hiding there. :laugh:

I have found a totally flat and smooth section of road that seems to be asphalt (around here that is rare--mostly it's chip seal which is crap to ride on), but it is .9 miles. The start is from an intersection and the endpoint is a fairly sudden elevation which would likely cause a bike to go airborne.

If I start from the intersection, do you think I could hit 160 or 170 and have room to slow way down before I run out of flat road? I've done this on much longer pieces of highway, but I never noticed how long it took me to get to 60 or so, and there was no rush to slow down.

It's a perfect piece of road with no place to for a car to come out and total visibility to the end.

It makes me a little nervous because running past either endpoint would be bad.
It takes no time at all to get up to 160-170 and get slowed down again. I do it in half that distance all the time. The busa is a seriously quick bike, and once you let off the gas and just breathe on the brakes you're already almost back down to freeway legal speeds again. My wife loves a quick rush of acceleration.....a few rides ago on one of my fav open, empty desert roads, I hit it up to 155 and back down again within a few seconds, my wife couldn't believe we hit that speed so fast. She said really? We went THAT fast?? :laugh: She's been 168 gps but that was a little bit longer run.

The Big Red One said:
It takes no time at all to get up to 160-170 and get slowed down again. I do it in half that distance all the time. The busa is a seriously quick bike, and once you let off the gas and just breathe on the brakes you're already almost back down to freeway legal speeds again. My wife loves a quick rush of acceleration.....a few rides ago on one of my fav open, empty desert roads, I hit it up to 155 and back down again within a few seconds, my wife couldn't believe we hit that speed so fast. She said really? We went THAT fast?? :laugh: She's been 168 gps but that was a little bit longer run.

It doesn't count when you have a Turbo lol you probably hit warp 10 by a half of a mile.

Back