God i hate my friends ......i need help

black diamond busa

Team Jacob
Registered
So my buddy just upgraded to a 2002 r1 this year and we took all the bikes up camping in Northern Michigan this last weekend. He let me take it for a ride and up north we have some nice curves so I got to see the difference. It made me really want a 1000 as I have never been on one before. Its got awesome power great brakes and I was getting really low and had no problem bringing it back up. After riding that bike it really makes me want to upgrade brakes and suspension this winter. So I need some input. I can't spend $2000 on the best forks out there but want better than what my gen1 has. I have looked at both the gen2 and gsxr 1000 fork and brake swaps and just wondering which one is better for the money. Looking at the brembo master cylinder but wondering if there's a cheaper swap from a different bike that I could use. When I have to replace my back tire in a couple weeks I'm going to the 55 profile and my raising links will be ordered this week. Is the gen2 rear shock really better than the gen1 looked on eBay and the average is $60 so not too bad. I will be putting on the SS lines this summer also. Any input would be great. I know it won't be as good as his but I now know I want better than what I have. Thanks for any input.

Is your current suspension already properly set up for your weight and riding preferences? If not, I would start there first and see how you like it (my local shop charged me $35, great bang for the buck IMHO)

Its close but getting it dailed in next month. My biggest thing is the brakes. The busa was fine but after riding his they feel numb.

do not go both raising links and 55 seriously just go 55 the difference is night and day ive been on one with 55 and raising links and it was too much

ss braided lines and pads are a good place to start. they you need some serious duckets when you start tinkering with calipers, master cylinder, etc.

card16969 said:
do not go both raising links and 55 seriously just go 55 the difference is night and day ive been on one with 55 and raising links and it was too much

OK will try that first as I need a new tire soon anyways.

kromdom said:
ss braided lines and pads are a good place to start. they you need some serious duckets when you start tinkering with calipers, master cylinder, etc.

Yeah I have the good set of EBC pads on now and its better but still a numb. Will be trying the SS lines before any of the calipers and stuff.

Brembo M/C, S/S lines, good pads, will make you busa stop a lot better and it will have better feel.

what do you mean too much? Im running a 190/55, 1/2 raising links, and a genII rear shock(little taller then gen I) and I love it. I didn't feel much of a change with a 55 tire, but the link made a huge difference.

kairles said:
Brembo M/C, S/S lines, good pads, will make you busa stop a lot better and it will have better feel.

what do you mean too much? Im running a 190/55, 1/2 raising links, and a genII rear shock(little taller then gen I) and I love it. I didn't feel much of a change with a 55 tire, but the link made a huge difference.

Yeah I seen the gen2 shock was a little taller than the gen1 but wasnt sure how much of a difference it would make. Where did you get 1/2 raisers? How big of a difference did you feel with the Brembo M/C?

Just a quick suggestion from an old guy that has done all this stuff in various combinations.....don't buy things hoping and or wondering how much better it'll be. Research others' trial and error and all that is available here on the org in past conversations. I can say that just a few items in the aftermarket will transform your brakes dramatically. S/S lines are big, your front fork is a fine unit if dialed in properly(probably including springs upgrade) if $2500-$3000 isn't a big deal for you the Ohlins unit is at the top of the foodchain, BUT there are many ways to profoundly improve your Gen I's abilities to stop short of those big bucks. Remember, there is a strong relationship between brakes and suspension when you start aftermarketing into top tier performance (for example, stock front fork springs don't coexist well with highend rotors, radial master cylinder, s/s lines, etc.)suddenly the front end "dives" even under moderate braking. It's a big story, read about it, savor it, enjoy the transformation, step by step, then be amazed at how that ol Busa steps up with the newer, lighter "girls". I promise it'll be talked about with your literbike buddies when you stop for coffee! Gotta go to work now, good luck and have fun. Raydog

I'm curious, what do you mean by "too much"?

First off, ride your Busa for a two hour ride. Then get off, and ride your buddy's R1 back home. Now forget about the stopping/suspension, and just enjoy the fat sportbike for what it was intended..

Secondly, friends don't let friends ride Yamahas... You need new friends..

:beerchug:

First off, ride your Busa for a two hour ride. Then get off, and ride your buddy's R1 back home. Now forget about the stopping/suspension, and just enjoy the fat sportbike for what it was intended..

BINGO....we have a winner here, folks :thumbsup:

Too much?! Hell I am running a 190/55 on the rear, with 1" taller dogbones (soupies), and I am running a 46 tooth rear sprocket for a shorter wheel base (shortened it 5/8").... and think its tons better then stock. I have rode mine back to back with a stock busa, and love the direction I went with my busa! I got more front in feel, better turn in and out of corners, and think I could go a little more. I do more corner carving then straight line running with my busa, so there are trade offs!

The Brembo M/c with SS lines and ebc extreme pads should give you the braking performance both gen 1 and gen 2 busa's are missing!

DAV_2609.jpg

Also by going up in the rear you increase ground clearance for corner carving, but if seat height is an issue for you, then you may want to be careful. The busa is a wide bike and at stock ride height and aggressive riding you can rub the fairing or engine cases. Hope our posts help!

IMG_7508.jpg

GsxrBots said:

Secondly, friends don't let friends ride Yamahas... You need new friends..

:beerchug:

Well we did alot of 2up riding up all weekend and I had no problem in the curves and by the end every other woman was complaining about how much there butt hurt and was looking at the busas big back seat. My lady had to problems. I know my suspension is still good enough for my riding skill and it can be upgraded. The brake side just isn't what I would like and a little better turn in would be nice. I love my bike and wouldn't trade it for anything just would like a couple rough edges smoothed out. I also tried to get him on a Suzuki but I can only do so much to help out a friend. Thanks for the advice raydog. I know she's got more in her just would like to see it.

148967_10150818409901651_1053980268_n.jpg

to me with the raising links i felt like you had to work to get the back up but just going to the 55 rear i just shift my hips and it goes exactly where i want it to go... but i guess thats 13 years of wrestling and being a lineman that gave me the hips to do it. I love the bike with the bigger tire

Back