Ducadi 1098 Overheating

GNBRETT

Registered
2007 Ducadi 1098 Overheating

my buddy owns a 2007 Ducati 1098 with 2500 miles on it. slip-on pipe and a re-map are his only mods.

yesterday he was out riding and got caught in some traffic and his temps went to 217 degrees and his bike just shut off. after about 20 minutes of cooling off it restarted. it wasnt that hot out at all. he lives in south Jersey. it was prob 75-78 degrees out.

I know Ducatis notoriously run hot but shutting off at 217 degrees should not be happening.

anyone else have this issue with a 1098? what should he be looking at to address the overheating issue. bad thermostat? faulty radiator? issue with the tune? anyone? thanx

My husband has one of them there finicky ladies. he should check the fluids, fan and make sure it has no leaks....and don't ride in traffic...haha.
His fan should have kicked on around that temp of 217 so that would be the first thing I would check. Hope he finds the reason for it shutting down with out taking it to the dealer.

Ducatis notoriously run hot eh? Never heard that one before.

I have a 1098 but have never had an overheating issue. One Ducati specific possibility is the rectifier, it was part of a recall (as was the rear sprocket). I think they replace, then put a heat sink on the rectifier. Both can be done for free at any Duc dealer.

Other than that, check fans and coolant.

the first time he rode the bike he was complaining about how hot and uncomfortable it was compared to his R1. I have another buddy who has a 2007 1098 and he too complains about how hot it gets but states thats just the way the bike is. so apparently they do get hotter then most bikes.

the dealer told him the same thing when he bought the bike that it will get much hotter then his previous bike which was an R1. the dealer states that the newer Ducatis do not get as hot as the older ones like he has but yes they certainly do run hotter then most bikes. that was his first complaint after his first ride.

I have him inquire about the rectifier tho thanx.

Back