Splittin lanes, "cover that brake!!!!"

2hip

Registered
California it is legal to split lanes. I have done it for many years without any accidents or near misses. You can tell where this is going already. Yesterday the traffic is backed up for 2 miles. My dad is dying of dementia induced by brain radiation. I am a hurry to get home and check him. I am doing about 30mph and traffic is at 5-10mph(when not stopped). Without a hint of intention (no turn signals, no over the shoulder check it out look) this guy has an opening in the right lane and darts for it.
I hit that brake harder than I ever have in my life. I did my first endo. Front tire squealing like a stuck pig. I feel the rear wheel come up hard. I see I am skidding right toward the bumper of this idiot. I see the pavement facing me at a 45 degree angle. Interesting aspect i have never experienced before. I think of Saiid in a flash and his propensity to slam into basically parked cars (smile...u know I love you man). I am screaming expletives. Somehow I miss him by about a foot.
As I come around him he gives me this sheepish "I'm sorry" look. Talk about a massive squirt of adrenaline. Ten minutes later I am stopped at a turn signal waiting to make my left hand turn. I check the traffic and my line through the corner. Since I was second vehicle back I decided to go around the vehicle in front of me on the outside of a two laner heading east. As I got to the apex of my line and started to lean the bike harder the front tire hit some sand that I couldn't see from the stop light. Front tire washes out and regrips about 5 feet or so later. What the heck did I do to get two adrenaline squirts within 15 minutes of each other? Remember to check britches when home!

Experience has taught all of us still alive on high powered bikes to cover the brake at all times when in traffic. If I had not I would have been buggered. Maybe not dead at 35 mph...But buggered for sure.
Always cover that brake...saved my sorry arse...:laugh:

Yes, It's crazy out there. Living on the peninsula, South San Francisco but often splitting lanes on the approach to the Bay Bridge or by Golden Gate Fields. These drivers just don't see us.
I'm covering both brakes and going slow enough to have a chance if someone decides to not do the right thing.
Glad you are okay.
brad

Hi Brad, one of my own neighborhood busa riders....Brad, I am certainly not an expert on rear brake stuff. But I think I feel confident enough to tell you...never use the rear brake in these situations. You will end up in a skid and lose the rear end. Rear braking, IMO, can really get you in some serious dog do-do. Once the rear end slides you are in a position of desperation. I only use the rear brake in parking lots, parking, low speed stuff (less than 10mph and no panic). I think many guys will tell you the same. Rear Brakes in a panic situation is death on a stick...

I'm touched you had two squirts while thinkng of me.

:rofl:

Omg that was funny!

Glad you're ok, man.

2hip, prayer for your dad. Stay alert, and watch out for the idiots on the road. 2hip, when I lane split, I look into the mirrors of the drivers vehicles to watch their eyes. The eyes tell you what they are about to do.

I hate common cagers. Even not being from Cali, I know it's a split lane state, shame on that P.O.S. for not checking his mirros. At least you're ok and were riding sensibly and not racing thru traffic

Hey 2hip, glad to hear you're OK. Experience just saved you a rash.

Traffic on 37 was bumper-to-bumper from 101 to 80 on Friday. I had to split the entire thing to get home. Too bad I didn't have the camera, it would have caught some great near misses.

Thoughts for your dad. Stay strong.

Hi Brad, one of my own neighborhood busa riders....Brad, I am certainly not an expert on rear brake stuff. But I think I feel confident enough to tell you...never use the rear brake in these situations. You will end up in a skid and lose the rear end. Rear braking, IMO, can really get you in some serious dog do-do. Once the rear end slides you are in a position of desperation. I only use the rear brake in parking lots, parking, low speed stuff (less than 10mph and no panic). I think many guys will tell you the same. Rear Brakes in a panic situation is death on a stick...

chillout and go practice using the rear break in CO i used the rear break alot ....take a buddy ride toward him pass him at different speeed n a controlled area .he should have a hat and the hat represent emergency stop. Whenver he drop the hat it's an emergency. so this and practice using your rear brakes with your front so you can get use to sudden stops using the rear brakes

Back