Good Lord guys, be safe and wear your gear..

yeah becareful, saw a guy on a 600 no gear on (shorts and cutoff shirt) flying down the road just asking for it.

R.I.P to all riders!

ATGATT peeps... Be safe!

Sent from my GT-I9100 from across the pond using Forum Runner

ever since the helmet law repeal here i keep seeing guys in flip flops shorts short sleeve or no shirt and no helmets

Gear up, ride defensively , and have the mind set that you are invisible .......... R.I.P. Fallen Riders :please:

being from Connecticut and seeing riders with little or no gear is very common considering there is no helmet law here. if there was a helmet law here riders would not only wear their helmet but likely wear more protective gear.

its common to see guys riding their bikes in flip-flops around here and no gloves, helmet, jacket or pants. its a roll of the dice but id say almost 80% of riders around here wear no helmet at all.

I would say most every fatal I have seen on a bike is due to the biker riding like an azzhole....:whistle: not all, just most. and id say half of those would not have survived with full gear or not. gear will do little to help you survive blunt trama into a car or tree at 80 mph.

its not speed that kills you. its change in speed that kills you. there are (3) crashes when you crash your bike. first is your motorcycle striking whatever you have hit, second is your body striking whatever you have hit and breaking ur neck and third is your organs striking your rib cage and often tearing your aorta valve.

While I do feel sorry for all involved I'm inclined to ask is there a helmet law in Ok?
Three on cruisers who went wide in turns and off the road, dying of massive injuries. One says head wounds and another mentioned rider was not wearing a lid. The guy who got turned in front of seems like the only one who was not able to prevent this? Wasn't there and not criticizing just commenting.

I saw it in the paper too James... A rough weekend for bikes.

While I do feel sorry for all involved I'm inclined to ask is there a helmet law in Ok?
Three on cruisers who went wide in turns and off the road, dying of massive injuries. One says head wounds and another mentioned rider was not wearing a lid. The guy who got turned in front of seems like the only one who was not able to prevent this? Wasn't there and not criticizing just commenting.

No helmet law in Oklahoma after reaching 18.

It was a beautiful weekend here in Virginia. I rode over 600 miles. I'm not a "Gear Nazi"... I don't care if you wreck without gear. But for goodness sakes what are people thinking? Where is the self preservation gene in the motorcycle riders pool? I bet 50% of the folks I saw riding didn't have what I consider minimal gear. Virginia requires helmets - but come on!!! no long pants, no gloves, no proper footware, t-shirts, and many wearing their regular ole Ray Bans and some without any eye protection at all with skull cap helmets. Many of these folks are "motorcycle owners" not "motorcycle riders" and haven't been out since the weather dipped into the 70's last september. I know their skills are rusty but still they act like they're as safe as a bug in a rug and got it all figured out.

I saw many passengers (many young girls) with no gear except helmets. This is inexcusable. If you wreck that passenger is literally going to be scared for life and that's the good outcome. I don't care if you injure or kill yourself but I do care about passengers that may not fully understand the dangers.

As a side note with respect to proper gear. I took what I believe was a rock to my visor this weekend. Didn't see it coming at all - but it rang my bell and left a one inch blemish and a tiny crack in the middle of the damage - right about cheek high. I suspect it would have left a huge gash, taken out an eye or even perhaps knocked me out cold. Don't get the skull cap helmet thing???

It was a beautiful weekend here in Virginia. I rode over 600 miles. I'm not a "Gear Nazi"... I don't care if you wreck without gear. But for goodness sakes what are people thinking? Where is the self preservation gene in the motorcycle riders pool? I bet 50% of the folks I saw riding didn't have what I consider minimal gear. Virginia requires helmets - but come on!!! no long pants, no gloves, no proper footware, t-shirts, and many wearing their regular ole Ray Bans and some without any eye protection at all with skull cap helmets. Many of these folks are "motorcycle owners" not "motorcycle riders" and haven't been out since the weather dipped into the 70's last september. I know their skills are rusty but still they act like they're as safe as a bug in a rug and got it all figured out.

I saw many passengers (many young girls) with no gear except helmets. This is inexcusable. If you wreck that passenger is literally going to be scared for life and that's the good outcome. I don't care if you injure or kill yourself but I do care about passengers that may not fully understand the dangers.

As a side note with respect to proper gear. I took what I believe was a rock to my visor this weekend. Didn't see it coming at all - but it rang my bell and left a one inch blemish and a tiny crack in the middle of the damage - right about cheek high. I suspect it would have left a huge gash, taken out an eye or even perhaps knocked me out cold. Don't get the skull cap helmet thing???

I know what you mean. When I was younger I got hit in the chest with a lug nut, thought I had been shot.

I hate helmets laws just because I can't stand the government telling me what to do. Even if my state didn't have a helmet law I would still wear it along with the other gear that I wear though. I just think it should be solely up to your insurance if you wear a helmet or not. They are the ones that are going to be paying for your hospital bills and/or life insurance payouts. If you want them to pay for your insurance claims, play by their rules. If you don't wear your gear then you should just be prepared to be posthumously presented a Darwin Award as far as I'm concerned. I still feel bad for all the people who die because they made a poor choice, but at least they still had the freedom to make a poor choice.

I hate helmets laws just because I can't stand the government telling me what to do. Even if my state didn't have a helmet law I would still wear it along with the other gear that I wear though. I just think it should be solely up to your insurance if you wear a helmet or not. They are the ones that are going to be paying for your hospital bills and/or life insurance payouts. If you want them to pay for your insurance claims, play by their rules. If you don't wear your gear then you should just be prepared to be posthumously presented a Darwin Award as far as I'm concerned. I still feel bad for all the people who die because they made a poor choice, but at least they still had the freedom to make a poor choice.

If said person that crashed requires hundreds of thousands in med bills and has no ins the state pays the tab which in turn gets passed to the taxpayer....us. You can be dead broke and ride a bike in Florida. If you crash and ems comes they take you to hospital. Whether you have ins or not your getting fixed up. If you don't pay the bills later everyone else does. If these bills are related to head injuries or one preventable by certain minimum mandated gear I don't have a problem with the govt making laws like ones for helmets.

If said person that crashed requires hundreds of thousands in med bills and has no ins the state pays the tab which in turn gets passed to the taxpayer....us. You can be dead broke and ride a bike in Florida. If you crash and ems comes they take you to hospital. Whether you have ins or not your getting fixed up. If you don't pay the bills later everyone else does. If these bills are related to head injuries or one preventable by certain minimum mandated gear I don't have a problem with the govt making laws like ones for helmets.
same can be said for smokers and drinkers who get cancer, liver disease, heart disease, emphysema, strokes, etc.... who have no health insurance. you can be dead broke and still smoke and drink. homeless people are a perfect example of that. so why not ban Alcoholic mixed beverages and cigarettes? not to mention their kids who are subjected to a home or car filled with cancerous second hand smoke. no one other then the rider suffers health issues from lack of a helmet.

I can assure you the cost to the tax payer is far greater due to smokers and drinkers then riders receiving head injuries as a result of not wearing a helmet. smokers and drinkers have absolutely no one to blame but themselves for their life threatening health issues.

the same cannot be said for a guy obeying the speed limit and traveling thru a green light and some drunk azzhole runs the red light and knocks him off his bike causing him to strike his head on the pavement.

Guys, this was not started to be a helmet law debate thread. I just wanted to share the unfortunate events that I hope none of my brothers and sisters have to face.

Back