Need some opinions here please...ECU Editor or Power Commander V?

WaynesBusa

Registered
Was talking with Greg yesterday about the ECU Editor\Flasher...Real stand up guy - would like to purchase the ECU editor but don't have any experience with tuning so I need to get y'alls opinion.

First, my bike is completely stock. Therefore, the way it sits is probably pretty good considering it came from the factory tuned the way the factory figured it should be. That being said - I do eventually want to pick up a Brocks CT full system (my preference is short exhausts and a 4-2-1 - not the big cans that are on the stock machine as it is now). Also, might change out the sprockets, extend the swingarm or go bigger on the back in the future. WIth that being said - I have been told (and read for that matter) on many occasions that when you do an exhaust switch you will want to get the bike dyno-tuned again - either with a Power Commander or a ECU flash.

First - is a dyno-tune required if one is doing an ECU Flash? I mean if one is capturing the information and making changes through the computer then is a dyno still recommended? I thought the idea behind the ECU Editor was to fine tune the bike and skip going the dyno route - if it isn't then why wouldn't I get a Power Commander and then get it dyno-tuned? Not trying to be an a$$ with the question - just trying to understand the facts. Also, I know with the Power Commander you can get a map from Brocks and load it - can the same happen with the ECU Editor or do always have to tune all parameters and not allowed to load maps?

What would you suggest for a novice like myself - go with a Power Commander V and Auto-Tune OR order the ECU flasher and try to tune myself? How hard is it - what would be the disadvantages of me tuning the bike with the ECU Editor? I mean could I do permanent damage to the bike - because from what I have read and heard I can always switch back to stock settings in just a few minutes. Also, is this something that I could learn over time without damaging anything? I am a fairly quick learner - just FYI.

Thanks for your input! I know some of you might be asking - why would he be looking at the ECU tuner with a stock bike and the reason is because I like to be prepared in advance with things and I hate wasting money. I don't want to buy a Power Commander and find out that I should have went with an ECU Editor because it was easy to learn and offered more in the way of configuring the bike to run better. On the other hand, I don't want to spend the money and get a ECU Editor and find out that a novice should have purchased the Power Commander first and then the ECU Editor down the line when I get more experience - I don't mind (wouldn't be happy with spending the extra cash but would definitely be appreciative in the long run). I have seen where there were several recomendations on the forum for people to purchase the ECU Editor - and these recommendations are aimed at people asking - I just bought a "new" Busa - what would you suggest for upgrades. That is why I am seeking your advice for someone that is new to the "sport bike" arena and flashers and power commanders.

I am just trying to learn - and prevent the - "Crap I just messed up - how can I fix this..." thread in the future...

Thanks for your help and advice!

Do you have a tuner nearby who is experienced/skilled using the ECU Editor? If YES, then my vote goes to this.

Not a techie myself but from reading around, PC is "limited" with what can be done while the ECU Editor delivers so much more.

Regardless of how you will remap your bike (ECU Editor or PC), best gains are done with bike on a dyno in the hands of an experienced tuner.

P.S. My bike came with a PC V and I currently have a canned tune for an AKRA 4-2-2 that I downloaded from Dynojet (my mods are V&H header, Yosh R-77 s/o, BMC Race filter) and I am very happy with how it runs now. Meanwhile, I snagged a used ECU Flasher so I can turn-off the pair valve and remove the rev limiter. I intend to get it on a dyno someday and get it tuned by a pro.

Good reading (posts by Frank aka Powerhouse)

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/turbo/162358-ecu-reflash-vs-pciii.html#post2862128
POST # 6 was very helpful for me: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/162004-dyno-question.html

cut-and-pasted from above thread: And although my opinion is set until something better comes along, I would recommend that anyone looking to get his bike tuned should probably talk to several tuners first, choose one and then go with what that tuner prefers and is comfortable with . . .

in short the ecu editor is king..even if you use the generated map when you open the software +removing top speed limitor you would be doing better then just running a pcv...the pcv is a great unit but will only adjust fuel where the ecu editor can do it all..im running the editor on my gen 2 and love it...

Thanks for the quick replies. I just hate wasting money on "trying things" when I know there are people out here who have already gone down this path. IF this was a new subject then it would be a different story but since the ECU Editor has been around, as the Power Commander as been too, then I figured y'all would be the right group of folks to ask.

I was emailing with Greg yesterday and like I said - he is a standup guy - quick to respond and was up front with the answers - I can just imagine that his after sale customer service is probably top notch!

I was emailing with Greg yesterday and like I said - he is a standup guy - quick to respond and was up front with the answers - I can just imagine that his after sale customer service is probably top notch!

+1000 to this. I did not buy the ECU Flasher from him directly but he quickly/patiently answered my questions via email when i was doing my install. Top Notch indeed. :thumbsup:

Back