Shoei X-Twelve for everyday riding???

Big Moe

Registered
Could someone please shed some light on this. From what I gather, the X-Twelve is mainly for the track? Does anyone here ride with the X-Twelve daily, or owns an X-Twelve that chime in?! Im definitely purchasing a Shoei here in the near future, but Im stuck between the RF-1100 and the X-Twelve. The RF-1100 graphics are not all that to me, but on the other hand the Twelves look bad ass:thumbsup:! I attached pix of the ones Im looking at, the top one is an 1100 and the bottom two are Twelves. Lemme know what you all think!! Thanks in advance!

2012-Shoei-RF-1100-Merciless-Helmet-TC-5.jpg

x-Twelve-Streamliner-Blue-Large.jpg

shoei glory.jpg

I have the Glory and love it. It's the only helmet I ride with, no track just mountains and cruising. A little noisy when I don't have my headphones in, but vents very well on hot summer days.

I love the comfort and feel as well.

Awesome!

I have an an x-12 and 2 X-11's in my collection for daily riding. I purchase what appeals to me and my budget. I happen to like light weight, serviceability, the availability to flow air, safety reputation, and quality. So, most of if not all my helmets have been developed on the track. I feel that is where my money is best spent. Big difference in prices and stats between the X and RF. Both great, I prefer the top of the line. Try them both on, you see what I mean. Ride with the x-12 or Arai Corsair and it's hard to purchase and wear anything else.

FYI, The wife says: Your protecting the most expensive and valuable piece of equipment on the bike! Buy the best you can afford.

I have an an x-12 and 2 X-11's in my collection for daily riding. I purchase what appeals to me and my budget. I happen to like light weight, serviceability, the availability to flow air, safety reputation, and quality. So, most of if not all my helmets have been developed on the track. I feel that is where my money is best spent. Big difference in prices and stats between the X and RF. Both great, I prefer the top of the line. Try them both on, you see what I mean. Ride with the x-12 or Arai Corsair and it's hard to purchase and wear anything else.

FYI, The wife says: Your protecting the most expensive and valuable piece of equipment on the bike! Buy the best you can afford.

Thanks a bunch for the info Bro!! I really appreciate your time and input!! And on a side note you have a very intelligent woman!:thumbsup:

The X-12 and the Corsair are considered "track" helmets because of the ventilation systems. They both have sophisticated air handling capability.

On the down side... they are noisy. All that air flow comes at a cost in noise.

Neither one protects the head any better than their brothers. Shoei and Arai are both top-shelf and neither company makes sub-par equipment. The shell on the Corsair has the exact same construction as the Vector, for example. I own both brands, and I am partial to the Arai, but only because it fits my head better. You should make a purchase decision based primarily on fit, and secondarily on style, graphics, ventilation, etc.

To answer your question directly... will it make a good everyday helmet? For me... no, but that's my opinion based on my low tolerance for noise on all-day trips in the saddle. As far as protection goes, it would make a fine everyday helmet.

I have posted this before, here's my uber cheapo fix to make ANY helmet the QUIETest

31JSZFvn1ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

FWIW, I had an Arai (old quantum f) which I liked very much EXCEPT for its shield changing mechanism (a PITA IMHO). Which is why I am very partial to the RF-1000 and X-11 that I currently own (stock photos below): lightweight, mega airflow, kick azz graphics and changing shields is insanely fast/easy. :thumbsup: So my vote goes to...........

RF-1000

rf-diabolic2.jpg

X-11
shoei_x-11_helmet_large_200_gastonia_11655701.jpg

The X-12 and the Corsair are considered "track" helmets because of the ventilation systems. They both have sophisticated air handling capability.

On the down side... they are noisy. All that air flow comes at a cost in noise.

Neither one protects the head any better than their brothers. Shoei and Arai are both top-shelf and neither company makes sub-par equipment. The shell on the Corsair has the exact same construction as the Vector, for example. I own both brands, and I am partial to the Arai, but only because it fits my head better. You should make a purchase decision based primarily on fit, and secondarily on style, graphics, ventilation, etc.

To answer your question directly... will it make a good everyday helmet? For me... no, but that's my opinion based on my low tolerance for noise on all-day trips in the saddle. As far as protection goes, it would make a fine everyday helmet.

I was told to expect that last time I went helmet shopping, but found that my Corsair V is much quieter than my RF-1100. I was very surprised, but the difference is significant. The Arai also flows WAY more air. If the X-Twelve is comparable, then it is the definitely better choice for summer riding. I can't speak for the X-Twelve specifically, but there's no doubt they are great helmets. Hopefully it doesn't whistle like my RF-1100.

You won't go wrong with either of your choices. An RF-1000 saved my noodle a couple of years ago, so I'm a big Shoei fan. :thumbsup:

I was told to expect that last time I went helmet shopping, but found that my Corsair V is much quieter than my RF-1100.

No surprise here :laugh:

I have a RF-1100 and that stupid thing is "wind tunnel" LOUD. My friend has the exact same helmet and he likes it better than his Arai.

The other big difference I notice between my Arai and Shoei is the fogging up on the inside of the shield. The RF-1100 will fog up if the ambient temp dips below about 65 degrees. I'm not kidding. It's very distracting. The Arai NEVER fogs up.

I was in the local Cycle Gear one cold day and the manager was fitting one of those anti-fog lens attachments to a Shoei. He admitted to me that he sells a lot of those to Shoei owners.

On Edit: Everywhere I put RF1100, it should have been RF1000. I own a RF1000. I have not had a RF1100. Sorry about that.

I have a RF1100, a X-11, and X-12.
The X11 and 12 flow more air than the RF1100 but create more wing noise in the helmet. The noise in the 11 and 12 are at the same volume level but the 12 has a more irritating tone to it.
I seem to have less fogging issues with the 12.

The biggest negative I have ever had with the 1100 is the liner is not removable.
The 11 and 12 are also a tad lighter.
The shields on the 1100 and 11 will interchange.

The 12 has a nifty release system for track emergency medical personnel to remove the cheek pads to allow the helmet to be removed easier.

I wear ear plugs on most rides anyhow so the noise has not been that big of a deal to me.

The better airflow was great during last years 100+ degree days!!

Last edited:
I have a RF1100, a X-11, and X-12.
The X11 and 12 flow more air than the RF1100 but create more wing noise in the helmet. The noise in the 11 and 12 are at the same volume level but the 12 has a more irritating tone to it.
I seem to have less fogging issues with the 12.

The biggest negative I have ever had with the 1100 is the liner is not removable.
The 11 and 12 are also a tad lighter.
The shields on the 1100 and 11 will interchange.

The 12 has a nifty release system for track emergency medical personnel to remove the cheek pads to allow the helmet to be removed easier.

I wear ear plugs on most rides anyhow so the noise has not been that big of a deal to me.

The better airflow was great during last years 100+ degree days!!

Professor, the interior liner and cheek pads are completely removable in my RF-1100. The RF-1000 did not have a removable liner.

I just got back from a ride and was reminded of one little complaint I have with it though. Shoei advertises that if you use the shield lock switch in the opposite of the locked position, it will crack open the shield just enough to keep it from fogging up but not blowing wind in your face. Mine has never worked like that. My shield is either up one whole notch or completely closed. I have seen helmets where something like this would work with the original clear shield and not with a tinted one, possibly due to slight differences in manufacturing or materials. My RF-1100 will not crack the shield open with the original clear one or my dark smoke shield.

I don't mean to run it down. The RF-1100 is a very good helmet, but it could be better. More airflow, less whistling, and a functional shield-cracker-opener would make it a great helmet. I guess that might bring it too close to the X-Twelve for marketing purposes... :dunno:

Try ear plugs no matter what helment you buy. Earplugs will completely change your ridding experience forever. I started using them last season, and can't imagine how I got along without them, they help me concentrate more and make long rides a breeze as far as fatigue. Just try them once with the helment you have now and you will see. Sorry for the thread jack, but I don't want your choice to be based on wind noise alone.

I can't count the number of helmets I have owned over my riding career and the X-12 (that is sitting on my desk beside me) is my favorite. I was looking at a less expensive helmet when I saw the Kagayama on sale for nearly half price... I think I paid $439 shipped. It was a no brainer for me. I put a blue iridium shield on it. I did go to a local shop and try it on before I pulled the trigger though. I wear earplugs as well with any helmet. Keeps my ears from ringing after a long ride. :thumbsup:

Here is a shot of my lid just after an evening ride through the bugs...

X12.jpg

No surprise here :laugh:

The other big difference I notice between my Arai and Shoei is the fogging up on the inside of the shield. The RF-1100 will fog up if the ambient temp dips below about 65 degrees. I'm not kidding. It's very distracting. The Arai NEVER fogs up.

I was in the local Cycle Gear one cold day and the manager was fitting one of those anti-fog lens attachments to a Shoei. He admitted to me that he sells a lot of those to Shoei owners.

OMG my Shoei makes me SICK from the fogging! My Icon and Scorpion never fog like the "elite" Shoei does.

I had to laugh, right after I read this thread I watched my neighbor pull out of his driveway on his Harley, he was wearing a tiny little helmet that looked like he shaved his head and painted it black(his head). It couldn't have had more than 1/2 inch of thickness to it! BTW, I love my Shoei X-11.

I had to laugh, right after I read this thread I watched my neighbor pull out of his driveway on his Harley, he was wearing a tiny little helmet that looked like he shaved his head and painted it black(his head). It couldn't have had more than 1/2 inch of thickness to it! BTW, I love my Shoei X-11.

I just got back from Arizona. Every Harley rider I saw had NO HELMET. Every sport bike rider I saw was in helment and gear. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the great comments and info folks! I appreciate your input and you all have been very helpful in my decision! Again, thanx!! :thumbsup:

I've got the RF1100 and its nice..but I hate the whistle. I have also noticed the fogging issue below 60 but my crack lever works well.

One thing that may be helpful...

When I bought my RF-1000, the cheek pads were waaaay too tight but the rest of the helmet fit very well. I don't remember who, but someone recommended I call Shoei corporate about replacements. I did that and they were very friendly and helpful. They immediately shipped out some thinner pads for free, and even prepaid the return shipping for my thicker ones. Great customer service! :thumbsup:

I've got the RF1100 and its nice..but I hate the whistle. I have also noticed the fogging issue below 60 but my crack lever works well.

I wonder if there's a replaceable part in there that could get mine working? Mine was a very early production unit for the RF-1100 (and about $200 cheaper than they are now), so maybe it's been sorted since then.

Back