Helmet Tear Offs

How many of you are running tear offs on your street bike helmets?
With the past winter being very mild with very few days of frost the bugs
are horrible. I cant stand to ride through Kentucky in the farmlands from having to
stop to clean my face shield every 20 miles.
My HJC RPS-10 has tear off posts on the shields and was wanting to get some feedback
on users that are familiar with this.

How is the view, looking through 10-15 sheets of tear offs.
Are they worth the extra expense to prevent stopping every 20-30 miles?
What brand tear offs are you using?

I am having a hard time finding tear offs for the HJC RPS-10 any ideas are they universal just need to know
the pin spacing on the shield? :dunno:

I just grin and bear it, and keep a damp microfiber cloth in my tank bag...

I haven't used them. I guess the question is, What do you do with it after you tear it off? Just throw it into the wind?

I know very well what you are taking about with the bugs and how many there are for this early in the season. :banghead:

Also, do you have to have special posts (or a special visor) to use tear offs?

are they slippery? I wondered about them on the track when they tear them off if you could slip on one in the corners or if it got stuck covering the radiator of another bike? Hummmmmm ???? where my racers at ?

I am sure they get pulled off durring races. I know I have seen em flying on dirt track racers..

If your faceshield has pins made for tear offs then they you have the option of using them.

Redbusa rider: Yes you just tear em off and fling em, I guess if your worried about littering you could always pull em off and stuff em in your jacket.

lankeeyankee said:
I am sure they get pulled off durring races. I know I have seen em flying on dirt track racers..

If your faceshield has pins made for tear offs then they you have the option of using them.

Redbusa rider: Yes you just tear em off and fling em, I guess if your worried about littering you could always pull em off and stuff em in your jacket.

Birds will build nests out of em, no worries about littering. I've found that birds will take.care of almost everything I don't want, just gotta be creative about it.

I just keep a thin pack of baby wipes, in the tank bag. Clean shield inbetween stops. Works great :thumbsup:

I never heard of "Tear Offs", until this post. :laugh:

Anyway, here's a video for ya :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What are these "bugs" you speak of? :laugh: After a night ride on Hwy 27 through the Florida Everglades I learned to always keep some baby wipes in my tank bag.

what bug problem.jpg

You'll see them torn off before the start of every motogp/wsbk/ama race on tv...

Really? No one here running tear offs on the street :dunno:
It always seems right after you clean your face shield its no more then 2 minutes
one splats right in the center of view :banghead:

Stoney McSloth said:
What are these "bugs" you speak of? :laugh: After a night ride on Hwy 27 through the Florida Everglades I learned to always keep some baby wipes in my tank bag.

Baby wipes dont leave streaks??

Sent from my GT-I9100 from across the pond using Forum Runner

Well got around to installing my tear offs (Ultra-shield) yesterday. Took a ride today and it wasnt long before the bugs started collecting on my faceshield effecting my view, reached up, grabbed a tab and Zzzzzip Clean View Again :cheerleader:
I love em! Now if I can just find an easier way to remove the bugs from the other areas without pledge and microfibers.

2012-06-24_15-47-26_47.jpg

Well got around to installing my tear offs (Ultra-shield) yesterday. Took a ride today and it wasnt long before the bugs started collecting on my faceshield effecting my view, reached up, grabbed a tab and Zzzzzip Clean View Again :cheerleader:
I love em! Now if I can just find an easier way to remove the bugs from the other areas without pledge and microfibers.
I want to get some for my Arai....do you need a special visor or just special tear-offs for you're helmet?

I sure wish they made them for the bike as well lol.......you pay the price for riding through the beauty. On my desert rides my helmet and bike stay WAY cleaner than a trip through the mountains :banghead:

I want to get some for my Arai....do you need a special visor or just special tear-offs for you're helmet?

I sure wish they made them for the bike as well lol.......you pay the price for riding through the beauty. On my desert rides my helmet and bike stay WAY cleaner than a trip through the mountains :banghead:

my helmet (HJC RPS-10) comes with pin locks on the shields, used mainly for an inner pinlock shield to prevent fogging. I removed the pin locks and installed tear off posts that I had on my old retired drag racing helmet (Simpson Bandit). My pinlocks measured 11.5" and most tear offs are 11.5 all the way up to 13.5
If your helmet already has the small holes drilled for pinlocks all you need are the tear off posts which are cams / eccentric rollers.

Plenty of information.. Google keywords Motorcycle Tear Offs

You will need to buy tearoff posts they cost around 3 bucks a pair come in black plastic or anodized aluminum. I purchased 10 packs of 20 tear offs 200. I put 8 on my helmet. It should also cut down on the chips and scratches that faceshields get from street riding. So they should pay for themselves no less stopping to clean bug guts and carrying around a bug gut covered rag.

2012-06-24_20-34-44_238.jpg

2012-06-24_20-34-23_681.jpg

Back