Whats best to clean and/or lube a chain

Matte_Black

Registered
Your thoughts on what works for you to clean your chain and what lube do you use.
Whats your methodology in the whole cleaning and lubing process, a friend of mine just asked and so I thought I'd ask the mighty Org

Thanks for your reply(s)

Matte_Black said:
Hey Charlie do you wash the kerosene off with water before putting on the lube?

Can't vouch for the rest of the .org but I do. Little s100, hose, dry, warm, DuPont wipe off excess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

WD-40 , Maxim Chain Wax. When I'm out, going with the DuPont. 27K on original chain and sprockets. :thumbsup:

Wow, a pickle :oh:.... every day I learn something new ..

I use Berryman B-33 engine degreaser and WD-40 for cleaning,
and Motul chain lube factory line or Maxima chain wax, for lubricating.

It's works very well for me

Big canno Wd40 to blast it clean, wipe and let dry/evap for a bit and then go for short ride maybe five minutes. Come back and immediately put it on rear stand, while chain is still warm and spin and soak with the DuPont Teflon stuff from lowes, blue can. Gives me a chain even Sleepless Red would envy :laugh:

Ps......if you take the little red hose on the wd40 and bend it 90 degrees you can get both sides of chain from one side of bike.

1. bike on rear stand, in Neutral
2. spin rear tire BY HAND to run chain through grunge brush
3. soak section of rag with kerosene
4. spin rear tire BY HAND to run chain thru rag
5. spin rear tire BY HAND and spray lube on chain
6. repeat every 500 miles. adjust slack as needed.

P.S. Good idea to also remove cover for front sprocket every now and then to clean the crud that gets caked/trapped there.

grunge-brush.jpg

thumbnail.aspx

Kersone ( Paraffin in England) with old Toothbrush, then Spray with 'Wurth' Performance dry chain lube (PTFE)

What timing, I just got through cleaning my chain after 18 miles off road in the dirt. Here's what I do, takes all of 10 minuets:

1. Put bike on rear stand.
2. Start engine and put in 2nd gear.
3. While wheel is going around, spray on kerosene from a spray bottle and leave to soak for a few minuets.
4. Repeat #2 and use a grunge brush from Cyclegear (need to be very careful here) to clean chain then use a cotton towel to remove kerosene from chain
5. Done!

kerosene won't break down the rings , i'm not sure what pickle juice will do. I know that when I was young and worked fastfood we used the pickle juice to scrub the grill with .

Back