So which one to you is more dangerous?

Which one is more dangerous?

• Total voters

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Going full speed around this track like this or doing an LSR event....

Or this, pushing the limits around the Dragon or similar? (not the best video I found but you get the idea)

For me I guess since I have more recent and more overall exp going fast straight line I'd feel more comfy doing the fast lap on the track. After having ridden the dragon I was looking over my right going around some left handers in amazement at how far down and steep some of the areas were. Going 30-40mph around a corner with a sheer cliff on my side thinking about how if my tire let loose both of us would lowside and fly off into the netherworld. When I hammer it here out west nothing, no fear or other thoughts really enter my mind. I'm at peace going 150+ out west but the slow speed curves made me nervous. I don't know if more time there and less here would change things or not?

So to you which one would you do or feel more comfy doing?

This is not just limited to a Hayabusa. If you'd feel more comfy on a Gsxr1000 on the Dragon instead of a Busa straight line say so.

Well, good question, lots of variables. Some folks LSR below 200 and some travel at over 300. I guess I voted the corners on the Dragon because of the speed. My preference would always be to stay upright and in my lane without another vehicle ( or animal ) making contact with me or my ride.

Yes lots and lots of variables. But if you had a bike purpose built for bullet speed and a bike purpose built for twisties I think I'd still feel comfy going fast?

This is not intended to embarrass but to express and convey that the higher the speed the rougher it can be. At least two folks have recently gone down at LSR events that were purpose built and designed. This isn't Joe Blow out seeing how fast he can go and safety wiring his ride and taping his signals and head and tail lamps. Both men suffered terribly.

I think the Dragon is much more dangerous. These machines are designed and built to do super-high speeds, but they don't take hitting a tree, falling down the side of a mountain, or eating the grill of a semi truck too well, even at lower speeds.

I think the Dragon is much more dangerous. These machines are designed and built to do super-high speeds, but they don't take hitting a tree, falling down the side of a mountain, or eating the grill of a semi truck too well, even at lower speeds.

Daniel both are dangerous, heck riding to lunch is pretty rough around here :laugh: I was just saying at lower speeds most riders have the ability to recover from a lot of perils like those you mentioned. Lankeyyankee just posted coming around a corner and finding a truck and stopping. That's kinda where I got scared for him, wondering what might be headed his way. Another posted Frog missing a corner with an oncoming vehicle but he managed to ride it out until the end. My thought is and it's just me, at lower speeds I have more time to react and think about my crash and can hopefully knock off some more speed prior to that first impact. You're right the trees, and sheer rock walls and guard rails are ominous ; that's why we make the mistake of target fixing sometimes. Like i said ; my goal is to never have an accident, but if I do I'll take the low speed.

You left out the part where you get ran over. Something else a cager wearing a seatbelt doesn't have to worry so much about.

Daniel both are dangerous, heck riding to lunch is pretty rough around here :laugh: I was just saying at lower speeds most riders have the ability to recover from a lot of perils like those you mentioned. Lankeyyankee just posted coming around a corner and finding a truck and stopping. That's kinda where I got scared for him, wondering what might be headed his way. Another posted Frog missing a corner with an oncoming vehicle but he managed to ride it out until the end. My thought is and it's just me, at lower speeds I have more time to react and think about my crash and can hopefully knock off some more speed prior to that first impact. You're right the trees, and sheer rock walls and guard rails are ominous ; that's why we make the mistake of target fixing sometimes. Like i said ; my goal is to never have an accident, but if I do I'll take the low speed.

You left out the part where you get ran over. Something else a cager wearing a seatbelt doesn't have to worry so much about.

Yep. I choose not to ride in town much because of all the traffic. If I do, it's usually in the middle of the night when it's just me and the boys in blue.

To me a track day is just as dangerous as mountain riding, just in different ways.

In the mountains you're not truly pushing it 10/10. There are some, but in general not. It's the mistakes that get you, not because you're truly going too fast. The guys that really go 10/10, Darwin will get them.

On a track you're purposefully pushing it 10.5/10. Test the limits, learn to go faster.

In the hills you have moving animals and rolling chicanes (Coughharleycough) to deal with.

At the track you have ricky racers that will do their best to stick a wheel under you when you least expect it. If you're in advanced you expect it but still it's not an actual race.

I could go on. It's a trade off of higher speed due to lower obstacles and EMTs on duty. No better, no worse.

Do3 that video is scary and yes he did get hurt but for me I worry less about sliding from a high speed get off than I do about going off the side of some mountain. Do you not think the chance of greater injury lies in going off the side of a mountain than a high speed slide? Granted if you roll or impact something at speed your done but the thought of doing a superman off the dragon was downright scary.

And Flicka I addressed your statement in prior post.
Take your new Zx14 and do the first video or a Gsxr 600/750 or 1000 and go fast on the twisties.
Which one makes you worry more?

Do3 that video is scary and yes he did get hurt but for me I worry less about sliding from a high speed get off than I do about going off the side of some mountain. Do you not think the chance of greater injury lies in going off the side of a mountain than a high speed slide? Granted if you roll or impact something at speed your done but the thought of doing a superman off the dragon was downright scary.

Take your new Zx14 and do the first video or a Gsxr 600/750 or 1000 and go fast on the twisties.

Not trying to argue either. All riding has risk. We all should know that. Sliding down an airstrip would be my preference but at LSR speeds you want get the option, which is part of my point about speed. If you watch all those guys on Mulholland that crash, they walk it off. Lucky very lucky, but in my mind it's the low speed that helps them. Obviously I'd rather be where I'm comfortable at. If you're comfy at 200 that's great, but you asked about the dangers, so I took it to a crash. Absolutely don't want to meet an oncoming vehicle in a corner or hit a tree or any other object losing it in a corner.

The other thing that has always concerned me on corners, blind corners is what's up ahead of me ? A tree limb, piece of debris. Corners in my area are taken at higher speeds and to be honest ..... I just don't push it. No one will get a race out of me.

Without a doubt riding the Dragon is more dangerous. Frst of all there are things to hit that don't move like trees and rocks. Second there is the drop, slide off the road and it's a long way down on a few of those drops. Third, there are cars going both ways (40 mph one way + 30 mph the other way = a 70 mph crash into an immovable object which is instant death). There are also riders coming at you as well as cagers trying to drift in your lane.

On a track even if you fall there are not supposed to be things in the way that won't absorb your momemtum. Same on LSR, as long as you can keep sliding it will be painful but you'll walk again.

The other half of this is the chances of an accident. I would say they are pretty high on a track, medium on the road, and pretty rare on the LSR runs. So the track is definitely more dangerous to your bike, but the road is a notorius butcher.

Just my 2 cents.

I gotcha. What I meant was that I feel much safer about doing LSR than facing all the unknowns in the twisties. A roadcourse racetrack would be fine, but on public roads there are a more unknowns. And I'm not saying I haven't taken my share of risks on public roads, but there is a point I refuse to go beyond.

I figure backroad 2 lane twisties might be more dangerous than straight line. But it doesn't concern me as twisties and track days are what I like to do. I've made it a point to learn to ride, and have developed a bit of skill in that environment through many years of doing it (road twisties at least) on a regular basis. Just pinning the throttle and going real fast in a straight line is pointless to me. If all I had to ride on were straight line slab roads, I probably wouldn't even have a street bike. Boring and pointless.
I didn't vote in the poll as the only type of riding that I would consider as "dangerous", wasn't listed. This would be any sort of riding in an urban/city area around hundreds of cars every day.

Ok Ill bite! All riding has its risk , but since you asked which one carries a higher risk then the other.... And its my opinion. The Dragon I think is more risky then doing a LSR event. In fact Ill put it in order.... The Dragon, then trackdays, LSR, and drag racing at a track. Even though speeds are slower, there are blind corners, drop offs, cars, bikes, animals, cops, etc to distract you! Trackday has most of the those distractions removed, so better chance to ride closer to 10/10 pace. LSR and drag racing for me evenless distractions and less pshyical conditioning needed. You are not wearing yourself out constantly moving around to turn a motorcycle like The Dragon or a trackday! Getting tired can lead to mistakes which increase your risk.

Oh, I like doing them all... Twisties, drag racing, top speed events, etc! I find track riding the most rewarding because it demands so much more of me and machine in more ways then one!

Back