Know your local motorcycle laws

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
Hey all,

Been awhile since I posted. Been lurking but been so busy no time to get involved.

Yesterday the temps were nice in NorCal so took the Busa to work.

On my commute I travel Highway 37. 37 goes from 2 lanes each way to 1 lane each way. At the merge it always slows to a complete stop.

After traffic came to a stop me and another bike started lanesharing our way to the front of the slowdown. We never crossed the white line (shoulder) and did not go more than 10mph passing cars. Nice, quiet and smooth. Not bothering anyone.

After we got to the point where traffic started moving around 35mph we stayed in our lane and were just happy commuters.

That's when the CHP passed us on the shoulder and motioned for BOTH of us to pull over. (And no, I didn't know the other cyclist on his Honda Shadow 250).

I gave the officer my license, insurance, registration and CCW permit. I also made it clear I was not carrying at the time. I didn't like that he asked my why I carry in front of the other guy, I was trying to keep it discrete. Did I mention the other guy was in a postal uniform?

The CHP proceeds to tell us, "You can't drive on the shoulder". I knew I hadn't done anything wrong and I politely told him so, "Sir, I will take this to court, I did not drive on the shoulder. I drive this road daily and have for 11 years. I know the law." to which he immediately said, "Well, this guy did!" The other guy said, "huh? I didn't drive on the shoulder either. If I had I would have passed this guy."

The CHP then proceeded to tell us that you can't lane share unless there are two lanes. :banghead:

This is when I decided I wasn't going to take a ticket lying down. "Sir, I don't mean to be argumentative and if I'm wrong please correct me, but does the CVC not state that a motorcycle is allowed to share a lane with another vehicle so long as the motorcycle is not on the shoulder?"

His response: "Only on a two lane road"

My reply: "What if I and this other motorcycle were side by side on this road, wouldn't that be allowed?"

Him: "Yes"

me: "Is his motorcycle not another vehicle therefore negating your presumption of violation of law?"

him: "<pause> Here's your paperwork. Both of you get out of here."

me: "Yes sir."

No tickets for either of us.

I was polite at all times in this discourse and have nothing but respect for LEOs, it's a thankless job. Hey, anybody can make a mistake. Fortunately I know the law and avoided having to go to court.

Another good day on the Busa.

I would have tased you, then make you sign the ticket as you jerk around on the ground

then I would hand the ticket to the other guy (postal worker) to deliver the ticket to you.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

on a serious note you handled it in a professional manner and kept your cool. Im sure if it were one of us hot heads we'd prob. be sitting in the back of the car in no time at all :whistle:

Being polite with a good attitude is the proper approach to any situation when involved with law enforcement!

Good Job! :thumbsup:

Great job and yep, I'd say knowing the law helped immensely! Glad it turned out well :thumbsup:

Semi, it's been too long. I haven't been back to QC in a long long time. Hope all is well with Doyle & Mary and you.

Wow. I thought lane sharing was standard practice for most motorcycle cops. I almost never do it, always staggered except at the lights.

And a big :thumbsup: to PandaNin and :beerchug:.

(P.S. Thanks again for my bell. I think that was you!)

good job PandaNin :beerchug: wish we could split traffic here!

The only reason motorcycles can split traffic in California is because it is not specifically addressed one way or the other in the Califronia Vehicle Code. The other 49 states specifically prohibit lanes splitting. Of course if not done properly other violations can come into play like excessive lane changing, unsafe speed (it is generally accpeted that when lane splitting you should not travel more than 5 mph faster than the traffice you are passing).

Back