Need Recommendation on Replacement Tires

MichaelSozzi

Registered
Hello All,

I was wondering if you could lend some of your recommendations.

After 7K miles, I am going to need to replace the stock tires on my 2004 Busa and wanted some advice. (yes I only rode it 7K miles in 7 years!)

I am essentially a law abiding rider and only rarely get too crazy on the throttle or in the turns, so I don't need a super sticky street compound. I am looking to replace them with a good grade of sport touring tire so I can get more miles out of them.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Mike

First of all.... Welcome aboard!!

I'm no expert on tires!!. But, I have a set on the way right now. since I like curves, I decided to get some Bridgestone BT016pro. From my research 7000 miles is about what people get out off a set of touring tires. Now..... If I understood your post right. You are still on the original set of tires from 2004. Again I'm no expert on this but, depending on the kind of climate your bike is stored. I would be freaking out If I knew I was riding on 7-8 years old tires unless they were properly stored(climate conditions wise). That being said, we have members that have 100k miles on their bikes and some of them use AVON STORM tires. I'm pretty sure they'll be here soon to give some advice and exact numbers.

welcome, Mike. Be ready to get swarmed by ideas from all directions (HINT: after OIL, TIRES is one of the most often asked/discussed topics here). In fact, a subforum was made just for this reason: Tires

Your needs in tires are very similar to mine (premium on mileage vs grip) and my research, I chose Pirelli Angels purely for cost reasons with the Avon Storm and Michelin PR 2 as other contenders

I am looking to replace them with a good grade of sport touring tire so I can get more miles out of them.

On a previous bike (not a Busa), I ran several sets of different ST tires and settled on the Michelin Pilot Road 2 as the best overall... best mileage and best wet traction.

I have a set waiting to go on my Hayabusa.

Michelin introduced the PR3 last year or so, but I'm still going to run the PR2 as long as they make them.

EDIT: Even though the Michelins are more expensive to purchase... they turned out to be cheaper PER MILE for me. I kept careful records and did the math. Also... last longer = mount/balance less often.

Man I have to tell you per Sleepless Reds recommendation I put a set of Avon Storm 2 tires on my bike.
This guy is pushing 90k on his GenI so I trust his word. He was right!

At three thousand miles the tire just barely started showing a flat spot on it...
25332921.jpg

I just rode 800 up and 800 back with about 200 or more at the Dragon on the sides.
Total miles on them now is a little more than 5000 miles. Can you tell a difference?
No chicken strips and the sides are well worn now but these things are lasting very well.

e4c1fe7f.jpg

I'm thinking I'm gonna at least get 8-9k out of them

I think you should use mobil 1. It is the best oil.

There is a whole forum just for tires for your viewing pleasure and also a search function.
Tires

Depends on your riding style. I would have to say that Blanca's pics above represent the Storm2 very well. He rode all the way from FL to NC, multiple passes on the Dragon, and back home on that same tire, in rain and dry conditions.

Only one answer for this.

Michelin Pilot Road 3

Awesome tire if you dont scrape pegs. Excellent tire wear, few guys here have seen as much as 9000 miles with tread still left on them.
They are Michelin Qaulity Smooooth and the quality is world class! Every Michelin tire has balanced with less than 3 sticky weights on each wheel.
They are supposed to be the best rain tire yet..

Last edited by a moderator:
i like to play around on my bike so i run pilot power 2ct's but ive heard the bt016 have good life to them but dam 9k off a tire thats alot of life

Only one answer for this.

Michelin Pilot Road 3

Awesome tire if you dont scrape pegs. Excellent tire wear, few guys here have seen as much as 9000 miles with tread still left on them.
They are Michelin Qaulity Smooooth and the quality is world class! Every Michelin tire has balanced with less than 3 sticky weights on each wheel.
They are supposed to be the best rain tire yet..

+100

Michelin PR2's or PR3's.

Man I have to tell you per Sleepless Reds recommendation I put a set of Avon Storm 2 tires on my bike.
This guy is pushing 90k on his GenI so I trust his word. He was right!

At three thousand miles the tire just barely started showing a flat spot on it...
25332921.jpg

I just rode 800 up and 800 back with about 200 or more at the Dragon on the sides.
Total miles on them now is a little more than 5000 miles. Can you tell a difference?
No chicken strips and the sides are well worn now but these things are lasting very well.

e4c1fe7f.jpg

I'm thinking I'm gonna at least get 8-9k out of them

I'm glad that you're happy with them. I have as of now, over 75,000 miles of experience on the original Avon Storms and the Storm 2's and never had any issues with them. They're excellent in the rain, too.

Back