Rostra Cruise on Gen I ???

RedBusarider

Registered
I have searched and searched and have not found an answer.

What I want to know is HAS ANYONE GOT THE ROSTRA CRUISE CONTROL TO WORK PROPERLY ON A GEN I ?

I have had mine on for a while and not gotten the results I wanted.

It will engage, but then slows down, then speeds up, then slows down and then disengages.
If I don't turn on the unit it will make the speedometer jump around. Turn the unit on and the speedometer is fine.

I have tried different settings and none have given me the proper results.

So again has anyone with a Gen I gotten the Rostra cruise control to work properly?

I read that there might be updates to certain units? Can this be true? Do the electronic versions NOT work on the Gen I ?
Do they even still make the vacuum version? I don't really want to change everything out but it doesn't do me a lot of good like it is
in that it won't stay engaged, even on flat and level roads.

ANY help will be appreciated. I really want to ride the Busa more this year and a working cruise would help a lot :laugh:

I had the same problems you're experiencing. Finally ended up removing it and installing the Audiovox unit. It works well.

I also heard there were some gremlins on the Gen I install, not sure if they found a solution.

You need to check the dip switch settings to make sure its set correctly...

make sure that you have about a 1/8"- 1/4" slack in the cable where its attached too the throttle if it is to tight will cause the same problem you are talking about ..... except for the speedometer ... anyother questions pm me i'll try to help you out

So am I to take it that there are NO GEN I owners that have put a Rostra cruise installed and got it to work properly?

I have tried many dip switch settings.

It will engage and The last time I ran it, it appears to stay on, only that it surges badly.
About a 4-5 mph surge. Fairly strong I might add.

I keep moving the switches but as of yet I haven't been able to come up with the right settings.

I tried all the ones that have been posted on this site and none of those worked.

So ONE LAST TIME - IS THERE ANYONE THAT HAS A ROSTRA CRUISE ON A GEN I AND GOT IT TO WORK?

I hate to keep asking, but no one has come forward so it's leading me to assume that no one has and either I will be the first or join the
ranks of "no one's" that have it installed on a Gen I.........

HELP PLEASE :help:

I am not sure on the Gen I, but the electronic version has to have the VSS(vehicle speed sensor) wire connected to control the speed. This should be located on the left side of the bike and on the Gen II is a pink wire with a black tracer. You can find it where the wire leaves the shifter and routes towards the engine. The wire on the Gen I bike is a different color. Shoot a pm to professor and should be able to tell you what color the wire is. The vacuum version does not require this wire if I remember correctly(someone help me out here if I am wrong). thapp installs alot of these units, get with him and talk on the phone. FYI, these units were not designed to be installed on a motorcycle, but where this a will there is a way. Edit: I have the full electronic version, but my bike is a Gen II.

I am not sure on the Gen I, but the electronic version has to have the VSS(varible speed sensor) wire connected to control the speed. This should be located on the left side of the bike and on the Gen II is a pink wire with a black tracer. You can find it where the wire leaves the shifter and routes towards the engine. The wire on the Gen I bike is a different color. Shoot a pm to professor and should be able to tell you what color the wire is. The vacuum version does not require this wire if I remember correctly(someone help me out here if I am wrong). thapp installs alot of these units, get with him and talk on the phone. FYI, these units were not designed to be installed on a motorcycle, but where this a will there is a way. Edit: I have the full electronic version, but my bike is a Gen II.

Yes I have the VSS wire hooked up. I believe it's gray.
Yes I have a little slack in the cable. Yes it will engage. No it won't stay on or it surges.
Yes I know they weren't meant for motorcycles.

Thanks for the reply. I welcome all comments. But again NO ONE with a GEN I has ever jumped in saying it works :banghead::banghead::banghead:

It also appears that the GEN II can use settings that are posted on this site. The Gen I doesn't work with those settings. :banghead:

It's just getting to be a PITA to take off the seat, raise the tank, use a mirror and small screwdriver to change the settings and then put
everything back together, suit up again, test ride again, come back and start over again. To try all the setting combinations is like a 1000 or more.

Just wishing someone could save me some time and grey hair...:laugh:

Where is the control module? How is the cable routed and are you sure its not kinked?

I should have a pretty simple DIY cruise control installed tonight, ill let ya know how it works and maybe get you the.lil piece to make hook it up on your bike.

Smellphone via Forum Runner

Where is the control module? How is the cable routed and are you sure its not kinked?

It's in an empty area - right side - behind the motor.

YES YES YES I'M SURE SURE that it's not kinked. A big loop. It's not that it won't engage, If it was kinked I don't think it would engage.

I'm very technical and would not let that happen.

I just got back from 3 more test rides using 3 more settings. ONLY 900 to go :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I don't even bolt the seat or tank back on for my 4 mile test rides any more......

With lower PPM settings it wouldn't engage till about 3500 rpm - then it would surge a few times and then disengage.

Upping the PPM setting it would engage at lower rpm's but surged quite hard 4-5 times and then would disengage.

It almost seems like I'm dancing around the right setting but just can't find it yet.

I'm going to try the 6 cylinder setting next.

IF IF IF IF IF I get this figured out I will post it for others. I don't mind being a leader and forging new ground, except for the headaches.

I guess I'm surprised that NO ONE else put this on a Gen I with any luck, being that they were around for 8 years (Gen I's).

Back