Things that make ya wanna just cry!

ICEMANN

Registered
Finally got around ta putting on the no cut frame sliders. (12 years later). Sadly, I've had chrome cut in sliders all ready for install that I got from Don 10 years ago, sitting on the bench. Even worse, I wrote a complete how to use a laser pointer to line up the holes for a nicer install,10 years ago. I've installed probably 50 sets over the years for folks, and I finally get excited enough to cut the screens and install mine.

Now, why is it every time you get your frame sliders installed you HAVE THAT FEELING, that you might be using them............... arrrgggggg :banghead:

SO my ventilation begins.

I get everything done, bike loaded up into the box trailer. I use a baxely wheel chaulk. The kind you can roll into, and get off the bike to secure it. (see pic)
Sport%20Chock%20faded%20Gsxr%206.jpg

I begin to see small clues of catastrophe building up like im psychic, yet this is the one time in my life Im "TOO BUSY" to pay total attention, even though I hear myself silently comment about it. :banghead: :banghead:

a) The wood 4x4 block I use, at the front wall to push the Baxley up against, it's not against the front wall. Other little crap in the way, I didnt move it. I figured make the straps tighter, yea thats it.
b) I have a 2nd Baxley on the floor to the right of the bike, and I didnt remove it out of the trailer, like I normally do.
c) Eh, why waste time..
d) I'M IN A HURRY.

I put on the canyon dancers, strap the front and the rear and close up the doors. Even though the wood isnt against the front, its pulling in two directions should be fine.

I notice my trailer tire is starting to alligator. I head over to two places to get a tire. No luck. The only one they have is fubared pretty bad. Get a recommendation and go there.

I watch "JR" jack up the left rear side to remove the tire, and notice the trailer wiring is damaged. So I look at what it will take to fix it.

I get the manager sales pitch about replacing the the other tire too. Go look at it and why not. Great discount and it needed it.

NOW.... The reason Im in a hurry it to get to the church to setup for the childrens event and blood drive. Im now behind in time. Still got drop of the stuff for the cleaners...... Arrgg

FINALLY........ Get on the road to and notice how smooooooooth the trailer seams. It's not bouncing around much... (A CLUE MISSED)

I arrive at the church and need to pull out the bike so I can load up the trailer with stuff from the church. I know I'll be doing errands so I can take the bike instead...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The crying begins...

When I open the rear door and the bike asleeep on it's right side. The "other" baxley chaulk has punched a "VEE" shaped hole into the plasitcs. The front wheel of the bike is still in the chaulk, which is still flat on the ground. It's just twisted and wedged, tearing the front fender about four inches. I now find out the front fender used to be red. The right peg has DRILLED a hole thru the floor to the outside. The front of the "OTHER" Baxley has punched a hole into the nose section. The right painted mirror is buggered up but not broken. The rear straps are still connected but didnt help. The block of 4x4 is now against the front wall. The custom double bouble is grinding against the wooden side wall.

AND YES the frame slider never touched anything and still looks new, for those that wanted to ask.

So standing there in disbelief, I notice that if the frame slider was about 2 inches longer the mirror would have never hit the ground, and the muffler wouldnt have all these dents in it. But it still looks purity.... :banghead:

Lastly, I suddenly realized I could have saved a bunch of money if I would have just left the frame sliders on the bench and switched my bike insurance to GEICO.

Bottom line, please pay attention to your innerself, Its usually smarter than you. AND if you ever get a tire changed. TAKE YOUR BIKE OUT OF THE TRAILER!

I dont know how or when it fell. I failed to check it after the tire changes. I was standing right there the whole time and never heard a thing. I can figure it got off angle during the tire change and as I drove the straps eased out slipping the bike to its side ever so daintly.

DOES ANYONE KNOW, CAN PLASTIC SIDES BE FIXED AND PAINTED?
jd

"Chock". "Chaulk" is not a word.

Insult to injury?

Man that sucks.............. Sounds like something that I see in my head EVERY time I trailer. Hasn't happened yet, but I see it happening every time... :banghead:

Thanks Rainbow.... I noticed after I sent it, theres no longer an "EDIT"... Using a speech to type program.

Bummer for your mishap, best of luck getting the bike back in shape. :please:

that story makes me want to cry a little :banghead: best of luck fixing the holes, dents, scratches, etc. and getting your baby back to 100% :beerchug:

Your question was, can the plastic sides be fixed and painted.

I guess it depends on the amount of damage. I would tend to say YES they can be fixed and painted.
Of course that will be more work than just buying new ones and installing them, however new ones may need to be painted too.

I would go to a few body shops and ask around. Some guys are really good with fiberglass repairs. You just have to find the right person to do it.

Sorry to hear of your nightmare. So are you going to put longer Sliders on it? I think I would, but it's your choice.

Keep us posted and a few picture of the damage might tell us if they can for sure be fixed, I still lean (pun intended) towards YES.

sorry to hear about your bike. it does make a grown man cry. ouch. hope you get her back in action asap.

These are the major ones. The mirror is a repaint, The nose is a replaement.

FaceBook Links Do Not Work

I'm not gonna lie. I was expecting MUCH worse than that after reading the description.

Still sux though. :banghead:

Thats not toooooo bad. I would just hit Justin up for new plastics. That "Vee" hole doesn't look like it's worth trying to fix to me, but then again Im not a body guy.

The rash, which doesnt show up too much, is on the same right plastic's. The muffler is several small dents from bouncing on the floor. All in all Im thankful. It could have been worse. Keeping in mind every little nickle n dime is a pain thats all.

Whos's Justin? I know they dont make the Euro fender's anymore.

jd

How ironic. Baxley made to prevent such things did most damage to the bike.
I KNOW I WOULDCRY LIKE A BABY .

That sucks. Thats why I have my chock bolted to the floor and 4 straps that secure it to grounding rails all individually bolted down. I am going to re-do all of my stuff though eventually and go to heavier grade bolts and reinforce them a little better. So far it has been perfect for traveling but I think I may need to get everything bolted down a little better. I dont take any chances with the busa that I can help

I might have a perfect painter right side (OEM 02 black/blue) that just has some slight rash on it if you want to go that route. I just have to check to make sure I can put my hands on it

now that just sux, does make u wanna cry, i dont care how secure i have my bike tied down i am always nervous about it. Sry for your mishap.

Back