Trouble Starting when engine is hot

bigjack7679

Registered
I come to the wise ones of Hayabusa. Org once again for advice

I have problems with my 08 busa starting sometimes when the engine is real hot. It acts as if the battery is dead, but all the lights still shine bright. I let it sit for 30 mins or so and it starts right up. I cut it off and on 8 times and it started up like a champ. It did it one other time that same day.

Fast foward a week and i stall at a red light :banghead: . :please: dont judge:laugh:. when i began to restart, it turned over slow(draging) and i was ready throw a fit but it started up. Once i made it home, i Restarted it 5 times. No problems at all.

I found out from one of my other post about an extended warranty that there was a recall on the rectifier. I searched the org and found that some other members posted on some rectifier threads about this same problem but didn't find an answer to their post. I called the dealer and my bike was on the recall. They should have the part by friday.
Also, the battery is new and is pluged in the tender every night

Can the rectifier be causing this problem?

Is it the org. Batt? Mine would do that at first. I took it back to the dealer and they put a good charge on the batt and so far I have not had any issues with it. Mine is an 08 as well. Try charging it. I did have the rectifier replaced after about 9 months but really don't feel it had anything to do with the batt. Hope this helps

Busa's are notorious for being difficult to start when "Hot" The trick is to crack the throttle just a little when you're trying to start it hot. It may be possible that the rectifier may be preventing your battery from being fully charged adding to the difficulty. Or, you could have something draining the battery...an alarm system, for instance.

Check out the service manual and go through the procedure of testing of your charging system and looking for possible excessive current draw to see if there is a problem.

Before the rectifier recall, my bike acted just like this. But the battery was actually close to dead. The battery had to be replaced at the time of rectifier replacement.

Might be different problems, but just saying that's how mine acted...

Is it the org. Batt? Mine would do that at first. I took it back to the dealer and they put a good charge on the batt and so far I have not had any issues with it. Mine is an 08 as well. Try charging it. I did have the rectifier replaced after about 9 months but really don't feel it had anything to do with the batt. Hope this helps

Thanks, The dealer i brought it from put a new battery in it before i took it home. It was a yamaha dealership and they didnt know about the recall.
The only day it did it wouldnt start was the first day i got her. So maybe it was a fluke I still have the extended warranty option. Stuff like this makes me nervous

Busa's are notorious for being difficult to start when "Hot" The trick is to crack the throttle just a little when you're trying to start it hot. It may be possible that the rectifier may be preventing your battery from being fully charged adding to the difficulty. Or, you could have something draining the battery...an alarm system, for instance.

Check out the service manual and go through the procedure of testing of your charging system and looking for possible excessive current draw to see if there is a problem.

OK, Thanks. I will have them test it after they change the rectifier. i dont have anything extra on it that draws current so im hoping the rectifier does the trick.

Before the rectifier recall, my bike acted just like this. But the battery was actually close to dead. The battery had to be replaced at the time of rectifier replacement.

I think i will take the battery up to battery plus and have them check it out for me. Even though it is new, its still man made

If they replaced the batt it might not have been charged all the way. Sounds like the rectifier might have something to do with it. I would still put a charge on the batt. I keep a Batt tender on mine all the time. You have nothing to loose while you are waiting on the recall right?

That sounds like the rectifier/regulator is shot.Had the same problem on 2 Blades.Both times it was the rectifier and a simple plug in replacement cured it.
It is a notorious fault on the early Blade but can afflict many large Japanese bikes.The charging systems are not up the quality of the rest of the bikes
I cant speak with any great Busa experience but that's where I would look first rather than the battery.A rectifier problem can wreck a battery but generally not the other way round so I would look at that first.The connections normally fry first so check those.

If they replaced the batt it might not have been charged all the way. Sounds like the rectifier might have something to do with it. I would still put a charge on the batt. I keep a Batt tender on mine all the time. You have nothing to loose while you are waiting on the recall right?

I brought a battery tender a few days ago. The Deltran Jr. It brought the battery to a full charge in an hour or so. I plug it in every day after riding and it doest take long at all for it to go to float mode. Best $30 ever spent

Im just waiting for them to get the part in and will call to make an appointment

That sounds like the rectifier/regulator is shot.Had the same problem on 2 Blades.Both times it was the rectifier and a simple plug in replacement cured it.
It is a notorious fault on the early Blade but can afflict many large Japanese bikes.The charging systems are not up the quality of the rest of the bikes
I cant speak with any great Busa experience but that's where I would look first rather than the battery.A rectifier problem can wreck a battery but generally not the other way round so I would look at that first.The connections normally fry first so check those.

Thanks for the info. The dealer has order the rectifier and hopefully they will have it by friday. Hopefully that will fix it

I had all kinds of problems getting mine to start when the battery was too hot on my gen 1, was resolved by replacing the battery with the larger 225cca one (model 14 I think) and keeping it on the charger. Fast forward to not long ago, same kinda issues, replaced the battery still nothing. Checked everything and it turned out to be a bad ground wire off the starter. If the rectifier and battery don't fix it check to make sure you have a good connection all around. Heck as long as they are replacing it, have them do a full system test to make sure nothing has come lose or corroded or anything. :thumbsup:

I had all kinds of problems getting mine to start when the battery was too hot on my gen 1, was resolved by replacing the battery with the larger 225cca one (model 14 I think) and keeping it on the charger. Fast forward to not long ago, same kinda issues, replaced the battery still nothing. Checked everything and it turned out to be a bad ground wire off the starter. If the rectifier and battery don't fix it check to make sure you have a good connection all around. Heck as long as they are replacing it, have them do a full system test to make sure nothing has come lose or corroded or anything. :thumbsup:
Thanks a ton for the info. i dont know what size battery they replaced it with but will look at it tonight. I will make sure to have them check all connections and grounds.

I also had this issue last year when it was over 95F. It was before the rectifier recall. Then I did the recall and it was doing the same thing. I upgraded to a Shorai battery. All hot hard starts went away. I opened up the OEM battery and all of the battery acid was gone, probably from a bad OEM rectifier. Since the rectifier and battery replacement, no more problem!

https://www.motomummy.com/store/skin/common_files/pages/en/shorai.html
Standard Recommendation: LFX14A1-BS12
Our LFX Standard recommendation is the best overall pick for most applications, and has been selected to give strong cranking performance and long lifespan. This LFX battery is 2.55 Kg (5.62 lbs) lighter than the lead-acid YTX12-BS.

My 08 would very rarely need an extra turn or two before she fired up. This only occurred when the bike was already hot, but I never had an incident where it simply wouldn't start. That one did not have the rectifier replaced.

My 08 would very rarely need an extra turn or two before she fired up. This only occurred when the bike was already hot, but I never had an incident where it simply wouldn't start. That one did not have the rectifier replaced.

I'll add that this never happened on my 09, before or after the recall service.

I also had this issue last year when it was over 95F. It was before the rectifier recall. Then I did the recall and it was doing the same thing. I upgraded to a Shorai battery. All hot hard starts went away. I opened up the OEM battery and all of the battery acid was gone, probably from a bad OEM rectifier. Since the rectifier and battery replacement, no more problem!

https://www.motomummy.com/store/skin/common_files/pages/en/shorai.html
Standard Recommendation: LFX14A1-BS12
Our LFX Standard recommendation is the best overall pick for most applications, and has been selected to give strong cranking performance and long lifespan. This LFX battery is 2.55 Kg (5.62 lbs) lighter than the lead-acid YTX12-BS.

OK Thanks. Heres a link to the battery that i have now. Let me know what you think. YTX12-BS - Yuasa Sealed Lead Acid Battery

Back