New SSB Magazine - 2012 ZX-14 vs. Hayabusa

hayabuser

Registered
Flipped through the latest Superstreet Bike mag on the stands today having been drawn in by the cover story. 2012 ZX-14 vs. Hayabusa, official dyno and drag test.

Obviously, the -14 was the faster and more powerful bike but I was really happy to see that the Gen2 Busa wasn't really that far behind. 180rwhp vs. 166rwhp on the dyno... surprising as I figured the Ninja would be putting more down but whatever. They dragged the bikes in stock form and then again wearing Shinko drag tires and strapped down suspension, the fastest Busa run was (IIRC) 9.29@152mph, the ZX coming in at (again, IIRC) 9.04@159mph. Both are seriously quick and anything running 150+ in the 1/4 is just amazing. The -14 is faster, yes, but there's still a ton of life left in the old Bus!

View attachment 1554738

:thumbsup:

I dont really believe them magazine comparisons really. They all rigged i think. All along they ve been saying the 14r makes over 190 rwhp and now it makes 180. Anybody can make a faster bike but everybody cannot create a legacy.

Here's the youtube video
ZX-14R vs Suzuki Hayabusa! - Head 2 Head Episode 2 - YouTube[/url] the 14 put out 189rwhp compared to 166 for the busa.....thats a 23hp diff, and the torque gain is big as well. The new 14 is a beast no doubt :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ridden the 14R.

I wrote a review for another site I frequent:

I have owned many big bikes, including a 2008 ZX14, a B-King and currently, a 2010 Busa.

Today I was offered the keys to a new ZX14R. Of course, I said yes...

Is the new big Kwacka a Busa beater? Read on.

The old model ZX14 was a nice bike, but it lacked grunt in the low/mid range compared to the mighty Busa. The Busa is also a much sharper handler than the ZX.

My test route took me up and down the Kuranda range, with a mixture of tight twisties, sweepers, big roundabouts and 100 km/hr sections.

Engine

OK, first to the most obvious question – how does she go, Mister?.

Low and mid range are much improved – better than a stock Gen 2 Busa. The power is beautifully linear up to about 8000 RPM, where things get exciting.

The top end hit is just fantastic - I wasn’t able to really open her up in traffic, but I had things spinning up rather well….as the goose in the WRX found out…

The fuel injection is perfect. Not a glitch or hiccup anywhere – even applying the torture test of slowing to 35 km/hr in top and winding it on created nary a problem – just smooth, turbine like thrust.

The engine is a lot smoother than the Busa. There are no annoying vibrations anywhere below 10000 RPM. Above 10000 it is all academic anyway….as you are too busy hanging on to care….

The gearbox has not changed from the old model – it is agricultural compared to the Suzuki, with a distinct CLUNK into 1st – regardless of how long you hold the clutch in...

It shifts OK, though. No false neutrals, etc.

There is a lot of engine under those farings, and you sure know about it…the bike gets hot in traffic – it is better than the old model (more fans on the new bike), but you feel the heat. It wouldn’t be a problem in cooler climes, though.

Handling

The first generation ZX was somewhat of a barge in the twisties – especially with the awful stock rubber. Moreover, the front end geometry made tyre pressure very important – let the front get below 35 PSI, and she handled like a truck.

Kawasaki have fiddled with the geometry, lengthened the wheelbase by 10mm and stiffened up the suspension. The result is a much sharper handling bike – better than the Busa, in fact. It tips in well, and doesn’t feel heavy. Direction changes are very easy – the bike is agile for its size.

The downside is that the ride can be a little harsh over bumps.

The brakes are as good as ever. Lots of bite, yet still progressive. Much, much better than stock Busa brakes – which really are crap, in retrospect.

I fiddled with the 3 level traction control. On level 1 it is not noticeable. I managed to make it cut in on level 3, but I was trying hard. The TC can be changed on the move as long as the throttle is closed. Very convenient.

Living with it

The riding position is much more civilised than a Busa. The ZX’s bars are at least 50mm closer to you than a Busa, and the pegs are probably 20mm lower.

Although the reach is good, the bars are too low for my taste – they could do with a 25mm lift. This is easily done with a riser plate available from the US.

Ergos are a personal thing – if you are used to a sport bike, the ZX feels like a lounge chair. If you ride something more upright, the big Kawasaki is a torture rack.

The dash is improved over the old model. There are readouts for the TC, the power level (why would you bother…?), ambient air temp, engine temp, economy mode (ha ha ha!), distance to empty, trip meters, etc.

All of these functions are accessible from a rocker switch on the left hand bar - no more reaching into the dash. Very nice….but it really needs an electronic cruise control!

The mirrors are the best I have used.

Do we have a new BIG dawg?

Above 200 km/hr, the ZX and the Bus are much of a muchness – they will sit on 200 km/hr+ for hours at a time, with lots of mumbo still to go.

Below 160 (100 MPH), the ZX has the edge. It pulls harder, it stops better and it turns sharper than the Busa.

The ZX and the Busa are both magnificent mile eating, hypersonic interstate mega rockets.

But if you want the biggest, baddest and yet the most refined of the two, get the ZX-R.

Even though I like the Busa better the 14 is a magnificent machine that deserves it's credit due.

Kawi could have really put it over the top with features such as anti-lock breaks (big let-down Kawi), cruise control, power outlets, HID lights heated grips and seat but I guess to keep price down these were excluded, as options would have been great also. Hopefully this will inspire Suzuki to raise the bar and come out with a new Busa.

I have no plans on purchasing a new Busa but if they come out with anti-lock breaks on the 3rd gen I'll probably sell my Busa and get a new one just for the safety aspect of it.

I just hope the Hayabusa does not go the way of the Blackbird, that would be truly sad. Suzuki needs to step it up but where does it end? I would love to see a Gen III to keep our dream alive..

I just hope the Hayabusa does not go the way of the Blackbird, that would be truly sad. Suzuki needs to step it up but where does it end? I would love to see a Gen III to keep our dream alive..

I guess the economy will dictate that. One good thing is that the salesman at the dealership told me that the Busa easily out sales the 14 (Pete's Cycles).

I dont really believe them magazine comparisons really. They all rigged i think. All along they ve been saying the 14r makes over 190 rwhp and now it makes 180. Anybody can make a faster bike but everybody cannot create a legacy.

you took the words right out of my mouth. +1

Apologies, my bad memory stole some of the -14's horsepower (and tweaked the 1/4 mile times). Still, I was hearing quotes of over 200rwhp when the Kawi first debuted so 189 is sort of meh. :poke:

Next time I'll spend the $4.99 and have some real numbers for you guys! :laugh:

Comparing a brand new machine to one that is at least 4 years old is a little bit of a stretch. Whenever zuk decides to build a new Busa, it will regain the title.

i personally like the BUSA but i am biased. the new 14 is probably faster in the 1/4 depending on who is riding which bike. it def makes more power but i just cant get over the looks of the thing. and a busa will always be a busa.

i'll use a boxing analogy. if i say the worlds most famous boxer? who comes to mind? Ali right? not larry holmes the guy that finally took his crown. holmes is a footnote in boxing history while Ali is Ali. same thing with the busa. if i say worlds fastest bike? what comes to mind? Busa not zx-14. in other words the 14 is to a Busa what holmes was to Ali. a footnote in history.

id rather buy a Busa mod it and have the champ not a footnote(and less $$ invested).

Can't wait to see what the gen III busa will be like. Every since I started riding the busa was king and that's what drew me towards the busa. Wasn't till after I purchased one that I realized all the other great aspects of the bike. It will be good to have the crown back even if it's just for bragging rights. Hell I to pride in telling people I have the fastest bike in the world. HELP ME BE ABLE TO SAY THAT AGAIN SUZUKI!!!!

who faster who cares at this point ( i'm not telling the truth lol) but point being ugly is ugly that's why i only by suzuki :laugh:

the gills on the side i don't care for and head light not sold on really. other then those two thing not horrable to look at

well there's alot more to bike than numbers
this version of the 14 looks like an alien squishy toy from the front, that is being squished, and
vanilla ice 's dated dew from the side.
not for me.

When the busa first came out, everybody who had something slower said it was the ugliest thing they'd ever seen, and they'd never own one no matter how fast it was :rofl: I didn't care much for its looks either, but after a ride I've now owned one since 2003 :thumbsup: Its real world performance seemed to have changed alot of minds though, considering this is the worlds biggest motorcycle forum, and the supposedly "ugly" busa went on to become the best selling big sportbike ever.
The new kawi is getting the same treatment the original busa did, and its going to convince the haters the same way, by its performance :laugh:

When I got my '11 model I sat on the new 14, it was comfy enough but something about it just didn't speak to me like the Busa did. That and my history with my '06 Busa made the choice easy enough.

As for the raw power numbers, silly as it will be to say here, how much do you really need? At some point I'm afraid that the gubment will step in and dictate a power limit or tax bikes over X power to the point of being unaffordable. Before you say never think about supercars and their gas guzzler/luxury taxes.

That or the big 4 will come to an agreement just like the 300KPH speed limit before the gubment can step in.

I do like reading about the refinement of the 14 though. Coming off that Buell my Busa is a pure Cadillac by comparison, I might get spoiled on the 14.

Back