Heated Gear

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, I'm going nuts over not riding in this cold weather so what would I need to head out in heated gear?

Heated gloves, jacket and a dual controller? Anybody here have gear that they could provide some suggestions?

You can see what I bought this year along with a quick review in this post:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...tank-bag-gerbing-heated-gear.html#post2810556

An update on that is that one of the controllers, which I don't really like failed. The switch itself failed. I plan to order a wireless one from First Gear to replace it and I am waiting on it now. The wireless part is very neat because it's easy to remove from the bike for summer. Gerbing is otherwise pretty awesome and well made but I can't say it's the best option out there. The heat is sufficient and pretty comfortable. It's funny because I have never really been cold on the legs but with the top heated in the jacket it really makes the legs feel colder.

I'd re-read their review of those gloves. They hated them in the review.

Thanks for the links.

Items I plan to buy in the near future:

Tourmaster Synergy Heated Gloves - webBikeWorld

Tourmaster Synergy Heated Vest - webBikeWorld

GERBING seems to be the "top of the line" but also priced accordingly

Meanwhile, I am happy with FREEZE-OUT (snagged a set for under $80 when it was on sale: Top, Bottom, Gloves and Socks):
FREEZE-OUT Long Sleeve Top - Cruiser Gear - Cycle Gear

I have Warm-N-Safe gloves, jacket and pants, with wireless 'troller. Wireless 'troller makes it wasy to move from one bike to another. (I used to have 3; now down to 2). I find the jacket and gloves are sufficient; I have never worn the pants. Probably because I wear armored riding pants with a liner over my jeans.
I have ridden in temps as low as 30*-35* in total comfort. Only complaint is face shield fogs at redlights.
I can give thumbs up to Warm-N-Safe. At one time, you could mention 'Busa form membership and get a discount.
CW

Although I have Gerbing's stuff, I'm sure the other brands are good as well. I have found that my favorite package for cold weather riding is standard cold weather pants (long johns underneath), three layer Motoport full length jacket (ends at bottom of butt with draw cord/wear long sleeve t shirt underneath), silk balaclava under helmet, AND (this is where electric comes in) electric socks under Gortex insulated boots and electric gloves. I have riden when temps are in the teens and never feel the need to stop due to being cold. For me, the combination is WARM FEET AND WARM HANDS, with that, I could ride naked (I take that part back). With the above apparel, with a breathing system that diverts your exhale down from the helmet lense, keeping hydrated, and double vigilance re: limited traction, one can go far and maintain comfort all the way.

P1030259.JPG

Heated gloves and insoles of course.
A balaclava, Kilm makes great stuff for snowmobiles and is the warmest I've owned.
A quiet rider for under the helmet.
Fits ALL helmets

side-view.jpg

The Gerbing folks are my neighbors. Their place is about five miles up the road. Husband/wife started in their garage and now are world wide. They have a Huge building where they make the stuff and first class people. Gerbing may cost a few extra bucks but you won't be disappointed.

One of my dear friends whom is a MSF instructor is a guru when it comes to heated gear. I'm sure she would be happy to steer you in the right direction on what works and what doesn't. I'll be happy to PM her email address if you like!

She can also get you a nice healthy discount on Gerbings if she so desires!

The Gerbing folks are my neighbors. Their place is about five miles up the road. Husband/wife started in their garage and now are world wide. They have a Huge building where they make the stuff and first class people. Gerbing may cost a few extra bucks but you won't be disappointed.

One of my dear friends whom is a MSF instructor is a guru when it comes to heated gear. I'm sure she would be happy to steer you in the right direction on what works and what doesn't. I'll be happy to PM her email address if you like!

She can also get you a nice healthy discount on Gerbings if she so desires!

Gerbring has close out prices on some gloves pants an jacket if you been thinking about it grab them now :thumbsup:

my bad that was heated clothing outlet .com

Ski pants over jeans works very well for the legs. Gerbing for the heated jacket and I use the mitts that go over the ends of the handlebars with ski gloves. I even took my heated grips off, no need for them with the mitts. I've rode in single digits and my hands never got cold.

I have these Gerbings gloves and they are very warm, even without turning them on.
I wear my Joe Rocket leather pants with thermal long underwear/long johns underneath, and insulated coveralls over them. Same Joe Rocket boots as in summer, just with insulated socks, and heated insoles that are rarely ever needed.
A thermal long sleeve shirt and regular t-shirt with a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket with a non heated liner.
The above mentioned balaclava and quiet liner from post #8.
I'm never cold in 20 degree weather. Once the sun goes down the heat needs turned on, and a heated jacket liner would be needed after an hour or so with no sun to warm me up.:beerchug:

Gerbing's Heated Clothing // The World's Warmest Clothing!

So, has anyone over taxed the electrical system with heated gear and other electronics blasting away on the bike? I not5iced it was a little slow starting so I turned thing off fo awhile so that battery could charge a bit. Anyone had any problems?

I have Warm-N-Safe gloves, jacket and pants, with wireless 'troller. Wireless 'troller makes it wasy to move from one bike to another. (I used to have 3; now down to 2). I find the jacket and gloves are sufficient; I have never worn the pants. Probably because I wear armored riding pants with a liner over my jeans.
I have ridden in temps as low as 30*-35* in total comfort. Only complaint is face shield fogs at redlights.
I can give thumbs up to Warm-N-Safe. At one time, you could mention 'Busa form membership and get a discount.
CW
+1 for the warm n safe products. I don't think it's as nice as the gerbrings micro wire stuff, but it works very very well and they are the preferred setup for some in the biking community. I really want the pants and socks, but as it is, I can got for hours in very cold weather with just the heated jacket liner and gloves, and usually I have the controller about 35% max or I get too hot.

Warm n safe offers a nice 20% discount if you register as a Group member instead of just as a Guest.

So, has anyone over taxed the electrical system with heated gear and other electronics blasting away on the bike? I not5iced it was a little slow starting so I turned thing off fo awhile so that battery could charge a bit. Anyone had any problems?

I'm also interested in an answer for this

If it gets to the point you have to wear heated body stuff i ask the question "is it any fun riding at that sort of temperature"???

I ride up to the point where it gets icy.. so lets say 4degs C is my limit... The main thing for me is to think about what bothers you when you ride and fix that... if your mind says "boy my hands are cold" you arent concentrating on the road and it stops being fun...

My suggestions:

Heated grips are ace....

Thermal "windproof" socks over normal socks are great... stops toes getting cold...

Base Layers and decent winter gear make all the difference...

Best thing i found was a good balaclava... no more frozen neck / ears etc

Jza

Charlie, I've got a "used once" full set if you want to try it out before you buy.....

Back