2003 how to adjust clutch?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
My clutch is now gripping almost all the time. I don't know how to DO anything on bikes, but is there something I can fix or adjust before having to take it in for service? It's a 2003, and the dealer does all the work. I tried adjusting the KNOB adjuster on the clutch, but that doesn't help at all. Other adjustments? Or does the fluid need replaced, or other issue?
Thanks!

If would change the fluid and make sure there is no air in the line. Go ahead and do the brakes as well, if you haven't. Use DOT4 brake fluid. I use Prestone Syn. DOT 4

prestone_synthetic_dot_4.png

I couldnt find anything in the manual about adjustments, only bleeding the air out of the line. I am thinking for some reason that the clutches on these bikes are self adjusting.

Clutch.jpg

I'm curious, what would make a clutch sticky with age ? Maybe I misunderstood the question. If the bikes on a stand and in neutral does the rear wheel move ? Or is it more like you don't have a clutch ?

WWJD been a while brother, glad to see you post up, Merry Christmas my brother.

I couldnt find anything in the manual about adjustments, only bleeding the air out of the line. I am thinking for some reason that the clutches on these bikes are self adjusting.
On this clutch the only adjustment is the lever travel if I said that right.

Seemed like it is staying ENGAGED more and more, now to the point I'm not sure if I can even shift and it is always pulling a little. Probably time for service as I can't do my own anything. I barely own a screwdriver.

Thanks, Dad, nice to be back. I don't ride much anymore. Hoping to change that, but gotta get her fixed up first :) Probably have to sit until spring now :(

As always, great and PROMT info. Thanks guys!

As the clutch wears the point of application changes. If you build the stack back up to 1.98-2.00 inches it will fix it. You need to measure all of the parts to make sure they are within spec.

If I were you I’d order a fresh set of springs and 5 Thick steels for the clutch. More than likely you can swap the thin steels for thick steels to get it close.

Check to make sure the plates are not warped as that can cause the same issue. But I usually only see them warped if it has been pretty abused.

so, now it is spring, and I have no clutch. the level just pulls in freely. I guess, beyond my better judgement, I will power shift it to the dealer for repairs. durn it! I hate when stuff gets old. How much are the new Busa's running these days? :laugh:

or if someone has the "Complete Idiots guide to one button press full clutch repair guide", send it my way

Back