Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By lovelessjl
  • 1 Post By AJAY
  • 1 Post By Lucid
  • 1 Post By jphilipson

Thread: How much horspower do I lose per thousand feet of altitude?

Hayabusa Master

Question How much horspower do I lose per thousand feet of altitude?

I just moved from a city at 5,000 feet above sea level to one that is 3,000 feet above. How much horsepower do I gain for the 2,000 foot decrease? Is there a formula to calculate the loss or gain for an increase or decrease in altitude?

Someone posted a formula, but it has been so long ago that I can't remember it.
    The mystical trend of our time, which shows itself particularly in the rampant growth of the so-called Theosophy and Spiritualism, is for me no more than a symptom of weakness and confusion. Since our inner experiences consist of reproductions and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seems to me to be empty and devoid of meaning. - Albert Einstein, 5 February 1921

HP Loss = (elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000
    FloydV likes this.

Default Re: How much horspower do I lose per thousand feet of altitude?

After guessing low on my off nitrous hp (haven't dyno'd with mods), I'm losing 6.92868hp just for being in Oklahoma. (while we're doing math, anyone care to figure out what I put in as my hp?) I will paypal you $1.

Edit: @1276ft.

Hayabusa Master

Quote Originally Posted by lovelessjl View Post
    OUCH! Using your formula my equation would be: 2950 x .03 x 160 / 1000 = 14.16 hp loss. Meaning 160 drops to 145.84. 160 to 146.

Guess I'll have to go turbo! Thanks for the info.

Floyd

P.S. Guess this explains why my 95 Ranger V6 seems like it's become a 4 cylinder.
    Last edited by FloydV; 11-27-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Add post script
    The mystical trend of our time, which shows itself particularly in the rampant growth of the so-called Theosophy and Spiritualism, is for me no more than a symptom of weakness and confusion. Since our inner experiences consist of reproductions and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seems to me to be empty and devoid of meaning. - Albert Einstein, 5 February 1921

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    After guessing low on my off nitrous hp (haven't dyno'd with mods), I'm losing 6.92868hp just for being in Oklahoma. (while we're doing math, anyone care to figure out what I put in as my hp?) I will paypal you $1.

Edit: @1276ft.

Algebra isn't my strong suit but I believe you used 181 as your hp figure...keep the buck, you can buy me a beer if we ever meet up for a ride.

Seasoned Beef

Robert

Hayabusa Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by FloydV View Post
    OUCH! Using your formula my equation would be: 2950 x .03 x 160 / 1000 = 14.16 hp loss. Meaning 160 drops to 145.84. 160 to 146.

Guess I'll have to go turbo! Thanks for the info.

Floyd

P.S. Guess this explains why my 95 Ranger V6 seems like it's become a 4 cylinder.
    You did the math right, but made the wrong conclusion.

Your horsepower is greatest at sea level and decreases as you go up in altitude.
    Say at sea level, your HP is 160.
    At 3000 ft, your power loss is 3000 x .03 x 160 = 14.2 resulting in 160 - 14.2 = 145.8 hp
    At 5000 ft, your power loss is 5000 x .03 x 160 = 24.0 resulting in 160 - 14.2 = 136.0 hp

So, by moving from 5000 ft down to 3000 ft, you picked up about 10 hp.
    dadofthree likes this.

Algebra isn't my strong suit but I believe you used 181 as your hp figure...keep the buck, you can buy me a beer if we ever meet up for a ride.
    I think I did 182 but it comes out almost the same at 181. people just don't ever get rewarded for using math anymore!
    dadofthree likes this.

Hayabusa Immortal
    10,500mi later, im back in the middle of Wyoming!

i live up above 6000ft. i love the feeling of sea level! feels like a 20+hp gain.
    THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME RIDE 10,500mi for the Drowning Support Network!
    3.8 Corners of the USA.
    "TOGETHER WE ARE STRONG!"
    "Welcome to the Org., can i camp in your yard? "

Bessie-07 Vigor Blue, Buddy Bill Chaney-91 Dyna Sturgis and many many others.

GODSPEED RACING

Thats the way I read it . You get better at sea level and you moved to a lower level right?

Quote Originally Posted by AJAY View Post
    You did the math right, but made the wrong conclusion.

Your horsepower is greatest at sea level and decreases as you go up in altitude.
    Say at sea level, your HP is 160.
    At 3000 ft, your power loss is 3000 x .03 x 160 = 14.2 resulting in 160 - 14.2 = 145.8 hp
    At 5000 ft, your power loss is 5000 x .03 x 160 = 24.0 resulting in 160 - 14.2 = 136.0 hp

So, by moving from 5000 ft down to 3000 ft, you picked up about 10 hp.
    second place is just a name for the first loser

Goldenchild/@ Cloud Nine built 1397 motor 198 RWHP 244 w/NOS. 3-9" Thompsons arm, BMC Filter, Adjustable Rear Links, 1" Reapers Risers, HID Low beam, Leo Vince full TI , Pusher clutch cover, Airtech Tank and extended tail. Over 55,000 miles and 39 states.

Hayabusa Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by red1100cc View Post
    i live up above 6000ft. i love the feeling of sea level! feels like a 20+hp gain.
    see level for you would be closer to a 30 HP gain

I'm moving to death valley
    red1100cc likes this.
    2008 Hayabusa - PC3, Yoshimura TRC full system, Corbin seat, SWMotech Tail Rack + Givi case, MRA Vario Touring Screen, Soupy's Bar Risers, HID Hi/Lo - 62k and Counting
    LEDRider LED Motorcycle Lights

Hayabusa Immortal

Images

3% is a rough rule of thumb.

The higher the RMP which hp is developed at, the more the altitude penalty will be.

For expample it means a Duc 1198 will lose less hp than a GSX-R 1000 when going up in altitude.
    Busa K9 Silver
    Husqvarna TE610ie 08
    Harley Dyna Superglide 2010
    GSXR600 K7
    Always ride as if everyone is trying to kill you, ... as they are.

New Recruit

about 3% per 1,000'. I am at 2,800' elevation in Boise, ID. I love going to sea level tracks or riding at sea level. Turbo is not really effected by elevation as long as the turbo is big enough to build the same amount of boost at elevation. I ride snowmobiles any where from 5,000'-9,500' elevation. Their is no comparing a turbo sled hp at elevation to a NA snowmobile no matter what engine mods and pipe they have.

Hayabusa Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by badass1000 View Post
    about 3% per 1,000'. I am at 2,800' elevation in Boise, ID. I love going to sea level tracks or riding at sea level. Turbo is not really effected by elevation as long as the turbo is big enough to build the same amount of boost at elevation. I ride snowmobiles any where from 5,000'-9,500' elevation. Their is no comparing a turbo sled hp at elevation to a NA snowmobile no matter what engine mods and pipe they have.
    Some aircraft use what is known as a "turbonormalizer." This is a system that increases boost to keep the effective intake pressure the same as sea level. Thus an engine at high altitude produces the same horsepower as it does at sea level. Before the advent of jet engines, high-performance piston engined aircraft like WWII fighters used two stage compressors (turbo or supercharged, and combinations thereof) so that they could operate with decent power above 20,000 feet MSL.

While a Busa just loses power as it is operated at higher altitudes, airplanes have competing factors. My plane loses significant power as it is operated at higher altitudes, and less power means lower speed. At the same time, the lower air density also allows the airplane to move faster relative to the ground, so losing power but also losing drag. A magic combination happens about 7000 to 8000 feet MSL, where the reduced drag more than makes up for the loss of horsepower, resulting in the fastest speed. (which is, sadly, just a tad lower than a Busa at sea level . But then I can go 175 all day without fear of a speeding ticket or wiping out in the turns! )