Stolen frame...

HERO TANK

Registered
hey everybody. the state police just was at my house saying they wanted to look at my bike, so they did i showed them my title and registration. they said that when my bike was impounded, they was asked to come look at it to make sure it was'nt stolen, so now im worried to death, it came back stolen, but i have all of the paper work, they said that it only stay's in the state computer for so many years then its taken off, but with the automotive computer its coming back stolen. so im thinking now should i go and beat the hell out of the guy that sold me the bike. they said i might be able to keep it if they find out i had nothing to do with it, witch i did'nt, most of u guy's know all the work i put into my bike, for those of u who don't. see my thread HAYABUSA REBIRTH. but my question is what should i do? what r my options? oh he also said he's not going to towe the bike today if they need me to bring it in, to look at it again i can ride it in so they can look at it. so if anyone is familiar with this please tell me what i should do? THANKS FAMILY & GOD BLESS

I would start taking everything you put into it off just in case. Cut your losses if the worst case scenario happens.

Thats a good idea from russel, get ready to drop it back to the frame :banghead:

Sucks, but it may be the only way to recoup your money- or make sure you have the documentation showing exactly what you put into it so they don't try and take it with all of the parts.

YEAH MAN IM SO UPSET all that time work and money. what are the chances of them letting me keep it?

I would say low. Not being pessimistic but its better to plan for the worst. All depends on the situation and what they choose to do. They could have taken it right then if they wanted to.

WOW! I'm mad and it's not even my problem. I agree that the chances of you keeping it are slim. Did you purchase it from someone or a business in your area?

in the uk if its stolen they take it and you lose everything its as simple as that!!

it happens a lot with what's called a ( Ringer ) given a false identity and sold on.

you dont have a leg to stand on legally UNLESS yopu got it from a dealer as even they get caught by the cleaver crooks but you get your money back that way.

hope it ends well for you bud after the hard work

if it is stolen.....you cant keep it. Does not work that way.

Before I bought my project bike, I was looking at a bike around dallas at a car lot. The vin tracker came back that it was stolen, but it wasnt. Sometimes it is just a keying error.

You might contact dmv on your own and ask them. You already have it registered in your name? Did it not come back stolen then?

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Run your vin in the link above and see what it shows you.

If they told you you may be able to keep it when they come back it is just so you are there and the bike is solid and they get a nice complete bike. I would take that sucker down to the frame. What better way to learn your bike?

You might contact dmv on your own and ask them. You already have it registered in your name? Did it not come back stolen then?

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Run your vin in the link above and see what it shows you.

If they told you you may be able to keep it when they come back it is just so you are there and the bike is solid and they get a nice complete bike. I would take that sucker down to the frame. What better way to learn your bike?
Yes i have the title registration and proof of insurance. oh and the officer gave me his cell number, and i just sent him all the pics of me building the bike will that help prove i did'nt know it was stolen, and let me keep my parts.or keep the hole bike. there was a few dents in the frame to. will they total the bike out and let me keep her. LOL

bluehaya is right check it out for your self, dont take the bike there, call them and have them run it. If it is then i would start peeling everything off it that you bought, your just going to run into trouble on down the road if you get pulled over or something. bummer if it is stolen....

they did say the frame came back stolen. but it was in 2002 thats why it was'nt in the system after so many years, thats how i was able to get the title and everything,

sounds like a sticky situation. If it is not in the DMV records as stolen....how does the popo know it is stolen?

Hide it in the neighbors garage and show them a hand written receipt that you just sold it. :laugh:

Hope it works out for you.

How do you have a clean title if its stolen, or was it a stolen frame you bought??Just curious.I would think if the DMV ran it thru to check the title before putting it in your name, it would have come up.Not sure.If its just the frame, strip it down and find a new frame with a good title.I hope it works out for you.

DO NOT TAKE IT ANYWHERE!!!

My brother had the same situation with his 1k RR 2 years ago, the bike was repo'd in 05 and had been reported stolen by the owner, everything ended up being cleared up with the bank and my brother had bought it with a clean title in hand but when he went to register it it came up stolen, he had to go get a letter from the bank saying it had been repo'd and take that to the law enforcement agency that listed it as stolen and it was all cleared up. Sometimes the hand doesnt talk to the foot, seems real similar to your case.

I find it hard to believe they purge the theft records, i have a cop buddy that recently pulled over a truck that had been stolen back in 1980 and it showed up.

Man that really sucks. I would run the vin and call a lawyer to seek advice. It may be illegal to strip anything off of it, even the parts you bought. Check first before you get yourself in trouble. The more research you can do the better prepared you will be.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back