"Stretched" MotoGP Bikes?!?

I know I'm an idiot compared to these guys but I can't see it. You would have to think that SOMEBODY has tried this before, and it didn't work out too well ? Have you ever tried an extended bike through the twisty's ?

Interesting read. I'll be curious if they ever lengthen the wheelbase on motogp type bikes.

They guy has no clue because he completely misses an extremely important point: all other things being equal, the bike with longer wheel base will be cornering with larger radius.

The shot he gives is taken out of context - Hayden is accelerating out of the corner while straightening the bike (in the picture, he is already past the striped part of the curb where the apex would be), he is not going through the turn's apex on one wheel. :rofl: Wheelbase is a fine tuned compromise between the desire to keep the front down and the desire to have a tight cornering line.

Interesting read:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Interesting! For someone like me who has little or next to, if not nothing of knowledge of cornering mechanics of bike he seems to make a valid point. But then again I know nothing about hard corning on a sportbike. :laugh:

Answer: The limit is when the rear tyre lifts off the ground and bike control is sharply decreased. As noted above braking too hard with the current short wheelbase MotoGP bikes and the rear tyre lifts off the ground – even at speeds above 150mph. I’m guessing that even makes Kenny Roberts a bit squeamish.

Same thing for acceleration – what is the limit to MotoGP acceleration? Answer: The point at which the bike begins to wheelie and steering control is lost.

Both of these limits can be lifted by increasing the bike’s wheelbase; and not by a little bit.

Part of the reason a longer wheelbase works is it lowers the dynamic, or effective, center of gravity. The lower the center of gravity – the less weight transfer.

While a short wheelbase may help street bikes’ walking speed maneuverability, and let you park in smaller spaces, a longer wheelbase will allow MotoGP bikes to lap notably faster.

Of course if you make the wheelbase (or track width for cars) too large other problems show up. However, I don’t believe we are anywhere near that limit for racing bike wheelbases.

Is steering really lost when the front wheel comes up off the ground ??? I see the stunters still steering when the front wheel is off the ground..

Three Wheeled Hayabusa  2.jpg

Perhaps a longer wheel base will improve cornering maybe even add another wheel....:laugh: I am just :poke: fun cause I have no idea wth he is talking about:tiptoe:

Three Wheeled Hayabusa  2.jpg

Longer bikes, slower races, more wrecks...... yeah, I see that happening :goodboy::disagree::plain:

Racing brings about innovation as one company tries to come up with an advantage over their competition...ie..Honda Repsols new "no power cut" tranny...I am sure that the Motogp bikes we see these days are the way they are currently running due to many permutations being tried and these are the most successful adaptations. I am pretty sure that we won't see too much longer wheel bases...Quickness of turning is everything to these guys in nanosecond manuvering escapades w these guys.

Clearly this guy doesn't ride, or for that matter even read about riding motorcycles.

Now, a drift bike on the other hand....

They guy has no clue because he completely misses an extremely important point: all other things being equal, the bike with longer wheel base will be cornering with larger radius.

The shot he gives is taken out of context - Hayden is accelerating out of the corner while straightening the bike (in the picture, he is already past the striped part of the curb where the apex would be), he is not going through the turn's apex on one wheel. :rofl: Wheelbase is a fine tuned compromise between the desire to keep the front down and the desire to have a tight cornering line.

+1

Here’s a photo I took of Nicky Hayden on his MotoGP bike at Laguna Seca this weekend. His front tyre is off the ground – while he is still cornering hard

He's not cornering hard, cornering is over

I am pretty sure that we won't see too much longer wheel bases...Quickness of turning is everything to these guys in nanosecond manuvering escapades w these guys.

Agree . Little talk these last couple years about about better handling nearing the end of a race as gas is used up vs the article and semi promotion of more fuel capacity and such. BTW, that bike he speaks about is Ducati's 2012 wheelbase.

For me at least it's better to have an ongoing topic like i tried to get going in the other section inwhich was a no-go. It works great at other sites i visit. There's been 5 scattered topics seemingly unrelated in the general section in the last few days but they really are < each in context to the future of GP racing >. Alot of info could be shared and gleaned in one topic because the not too distant past and problems they encountered relate to todays GP bikes and what's going to happen next year . Even mid season changes ect.

Anyway, beyond what a V engine configutation allows in terms of wheelbase over an inlne 4 , the article -- well , they are not going to have anything near a 50% WB increase in the future - even if they eventually pop 220mph on the straights.

Things like the Ducati Seemless Transmission <DST> that's being used but not getting any press .

Virtues of the V engine configuration with around 30% less width , frontal area and turbulance including what can be done to wheelbase similar to this and more , but all in one section even it the topic needs moved or merged there---????.

3508936987_309af2b2f6_o.jpg

Really, I've wondered why the actual Tire (not the wheels Guy's) is not in the shape of Triangles with one attaching point in the center of the tire. That way the bike could rotate (left to right) and keep the widest tire patch on the ground while cornering. Along with making the wheel very much lighter.

Just wondering :whistle:

On the interwebs you can talk about stuff you know nothing about while sounding like you really do know about stuff you know nothing about.

:laugh:

cheers
ken

On the interwebs you can talk about stuff you know nothing about while sounding like you really do know about stuff you know nothing about.

ken

As a Famous WW II German Sergeant once said; " I KNOW NOTHING " :rofl:

I once saw pics of a BMW 1000 with a really long swingarm on this very site

Maybe there's really something to it ???

Longer bikes, slower races, more wrecks...... yeah, I see that happening :goodboy::disagree::plain:

I agree with the more wrecks, probably alot of brutal high sides due in fact that longer wheel bases are not nearly as forgiving as shorter ones.

For my .02, in reality how much longer WOULD they go, the way this guy talks its anywhere from 2" to 14" it seems. The way them guys lean the bikes over, while physics does take over radius wise i dont think it would slow it down to bad. From someone that rode a stretched bike along with a stock length cbr for awhile i was far more comfortable on the longer wheelbase in the twistys. Just felt better. I'm no rocket surgeon thats just what i felt:laugh:

The whole article is one guy's theoretical idea of how something could be made better,....... with one catch..... He's probably never rode a motorcycle at speed or done any cornering.

if there was anything to it....I imagine someone would have tried it already. Honda spent millions trying to make a 4stroke GP bike with oval pistons......"King Kenny" Robert spent millions trying to design and build his own GP bike...

yet they did not think of making it longer? lol.

Back