Sealmate worked for me

Htown Busa

Registered
I had a forkseal leak on my '08, both forks. The dealer quoted me $250 so I decided to give Sealmate a try for $4.99. Hell, for 5 bucks, I bought 2. The right side of the bike, worked like a charm, no leak anymore. the left side of the bike, it didn't fix entirely but the leak is a lot slower, barely even noticable. I am a stickler for safety so I will still take the bike in to get it fixed.

At least now I know that a simple leak can be fixed with the Sealmate. I know some may have used film negatives in the past. Is was easier to buy sealmate than to try and find some film negatives.

Never heard of that thing before. Just watched the video and I guess if it cures the problem then why not. Hope you get the other worked out as well. Good luck.

I also watched a video on Seal Mate - The Only Tool To Fix Leaking Fork Seals, and don't believe how easily he removed the dust seal, and how easily he slid that thingy under the fork seal.

As far as I know, those babies are sitting there pretty tight - both the dust seal and especially the fork seal.

But I guess it's worth a shot. Thanks for the info.

I also watched a video on Seal Mate - The Only Tool To Fix Leaking Fork Seals, and don't believe how easily he removed the dust seal, and how easily he slid that thingy under the fork seal.

As far as I know, those babies are sitting there pretty tight - both the dust seal and especially the fork seal.

But I guess it's worth a shot. Thanks for the info.

The dust seal slips off as easily as shown on the video. It is tough to slide the tool around the fork. I had to remove the wheel fender (easy to do). $5 was definitely worth the try.

You can do your own fork seals when it's time. A buddy of mine did his R1 after getting a $400 quote. Got the info off the internet. First time, said it was easy.

Folks,just had to post my results with this idea. I had a minor seep on both fork legs. I made my own sealmate tool out of a plastic water bottle. I did not remove the dust seals but was still able to slide the plastic up and into the fork seal. I managed to slide it around and seemed to pick up some dirt. I cleaned everything up and went back to riding and monitoring the seep. Well much to my surprise the seep has completely stopped. I have since purchased the sealmate tool too use in the future on a maintenance interval to keep the seals clean.The tool I made was about the same thickness as the sealmate but the sealmate was softer and more flexible so I thought it will probably be better than the one I made.So glad I read the original post about this potential fix and once again the Org comes through.Thanks alot folks. :bowdown:

Awesome thanks ... hit a big pot hole I was driving behind a car a couple years ago and lost the seal or at least it was leaking. The fork bottomed out hard. Paid the "stealer" to replace them for hundreds ... sigh ... never thought to ask for the seals they replaced to see if they in fact were not ripped. Good tip re the Sealmate. Thanks!!!

Back