Need help with recently bought Busa.

RandyEicher

Registered
Ok, I just bought a 2002 Busa with a PC3 and stock pipes. It used to have short open canisters. The guy I bought it from took it in trade and didn't know anything about the bike other than some told him that the box needed flashed and it would run better. It doesn't run too bad, just a little rough. I didn't get anything to go with the PC3. What's next? And no I don't want to put the canisters on, and.will gladly sell them, feel free to make an offer. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

I am guessing this thread is similar to this: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/146515-what-do-i-do-now.html

have a few questions:
* current mileage on bike?
* any idea on service/maintenance history?

if you're unsure what MAP/TUNE is on PC3 right now, maybe dowload a map from here:
Suzuki GSX 1300 Hayabusa 312: Powercommander Downloads, Maps, Installation Guides, Accessories and Product Purchases

if you do not have one yet, get a copy of the service manual from here:
Service manuals for Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycles, free download of service manuals for your GSXR bikes

Looks like your already on your way to the right direction! gotta love the fast advice from here :beerchug:

Does anything have to go in place of the PC?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, it just plugs in so you can change the fuel map when adding aftermarket exhaust and other engine modifications. It sends info to the factory ecu, nothing from the power commander is actually stored in the factory ecu. Once it's unplugged, it's info is gone. Disconnect the battery to reset the factory ecu too.

flashing the ECU is completely different from flashing the PC3.. The ECU sits under the seat (in its stock location). It has multipin connectors and is about 5 inches wide, 4 inches tall and about 1 inch thick. its black and probably has a rubber band that is holding it in place.

The pc3 is a fuel mapper, its job is to bypass the ECU's fuel mapping. The pc3 is red and black, is roughly 1 inch think 3 inches wide, 3 inches tall and is says on the box "Power Commander". It has 2 buttons to adjust fuel and a bar that shows current fuel richness.

The ECU and the PC3 can both be flashed... ECU flashing is more complicated than PC flashing and is not recommened if you do not already know what ECU flashing is :rulez:

If the ECU has not been flashed you can remove the PC3 by taking off the cable that connects to the battery and also unplug the wiring harness adapters (make sure you plug the stock connectors back in or the bike will not run.

If you want to flash the Pc3 (if its firmware virsion is .18 or older) you can purchase a flashing tool from dynojet, just like the one i have sitting next to me.. or you can send your pc3 off to dynojet and they will do it for around 20 bucks. if its version .19 or newer you can download the software from dynojet and you can install it yourself using a mini USB cable (if its pc3 USB). if its pc3r contact dynojet...

What exactly are you trying to do?

Mainly, I just want the bike to run great. I don't really need the high performance aspect of the parts I have and don't mind the Nike being stock. I may try removing the pc3usb this weekend and see what kind of difference it makes. If I do decide down the road that I want pipes, will I need the pc3? The odometer/speedo don't work and 17745 us the last mileage recorded. It's in real good shape so I don't think it had a ton more miles on it. I am also planning on using one of the tutoriald on here to check and maybe adjust the valves, change plugs, at the end of the month.
Posted via Mobile Device

Removing the PC3 is very simple. it has 1 wire running from the Pc3 harness to the battery and the rest of the harness connects to the bikes wiring harnes using connectors. just make sure you plug the two connectors located on the bike back into each other after removing the Pc3.

You mentioned earlier that the previous owner made the comment of the bike needing a new flash?... was this flash for the ECU or was it for the Pc3? This is very important to know.. you may experience even more problems by unhooking the pc3 and finding a poorly attempted ECU flash or re-program that warranted the need of the pc3

If you want to change pipes in the future the most common way to adjust fuel to air ratios is to install a dynojet power commander which is probably the most commonly known fuel mapper or a fuel mapper of your choice. Then have a professional dyno adjust the air and fuel ratios for your bike. Another way of fuel mapping and in my opinion "the best way" is to have your ECU flashed, boostbysmith knows all about this..if you want to know more about this..

http://www.boostbysmith.com/

Either way, if you trade out your stock pipes and put on other than a set of stock pipes you will need to have your bike tuned. ( i would recommend a professional do the tuning, preferably with a dyno)

So is there s chance that it will run worse when I take the PC3 off? The bike is a little more noisy than I think it should, (past experience includes 91 & 92 GSXR 1100's). A buddy said that my mapping may cause this noise that he described as "dieseling". Running too rich. Damn, I almost I had one of my old school GSXR's back.
Posted via Mobile Device

a possible chance, but unlikely. like i said, i would find out if they modified anything internal or if they tried flashing the ECU. if they did not touch anything or try to modify anything yes you can take the PC3 out of the bike and it should run much better. all the pc3 does is tell the fuel management how much fuel to deliver.

Ok, so I disconnected the PC3 and now it won't stay running. Also, what is the wire bundle with the brown plug ends? Little more info to add, it had an airbox mod and a k&n filter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, so I disconnected the PC3 and now it won't stay running. Also, what is the wire bundle with the brown plug ends? Little more info to add, it had an airbox mod and a k&n filter.
Posted via Mobile Device

What RPM is the idle set at. The idle should be around 1150 RPM. Welcome to hayabusa.org.

Back