My girls bike gets some repair done and improvements!

EarlyBird

Donating Member
Registered
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...13-girls-reconditioned-yamaha-600-secaii.html
Link up above to the beginning of fixing her ride.

Hey guys:

I havent been on the Org as much lately. In january I decided to get Karen's bike from her and get it ready for this riding season. It was a bike in rough shape when when got it in October 09. I spent a few months fixing the old owners repairs and crash damage. The Seca 2 got repainted and a lot of things got replaced and repaired. Well after Karen rode about 4.5k last year, and other things started to show up as things of concern on her bike.

The valve cover started to leak and I heard a noise coming in going from the engine when cold and some times hot. The headers needed to be painted again. The rear sets on her ride were noisy and a rear peg needed to be replaced.

So I get the valve cover off after removing the carbs and airbox. The first thing I notice is the timing chain tensioner guide coming apart at the top. Not good! I remove the tensioner. The tensioner spring was weak. (not bad for 37k and 18 years of being under tension.) So I decide to check the valves.... spec is .010" to .008" exhaust and .006" to .004" intake. All of them tight by more then .003" below min spec. After looking at replacing the chain guide..... the head needed to be removed any way. I may as well lap, clean and restore the valves back to spec. I also did some small clean up and porting to the bowls and ports.

With the engine apart (head removed and waiting on parts). I figured I would get the exhaust ceramic coated. I got tired of painting them with high temp exhaust paint every 6 months. Along with this I got her rear sets power coated black like my busa's. I come to find out that the mounting bolts to the rear sets are bent from the PO's crashes. So new bolts were picked up for replacement.

During this down time I also got another stock set to modify. I took it apart and cut about 1/2" of padding from the bottom. Them recovered the seat with left over vinyl I had from recovering the original seat. I got it done saturday, and it was worth it! She can now touch with a flat foot. Before both heels were off the ground about 1". I did lower the front of the bike, but couldnt get the rear to lower at all. I looked at many ways to do this.... there wasnt any except, take padding out of the seat.

After several weeks of waiting and working on her bike. I was able to get it together last friday for a maiden ride. The engine sounds better and runs smoother. I had done some carb tuning on friday and saturday. It was very lean. This improved cold starts, idle, and off idle throttle movement. (I am still tuning the carbs for best drivability.) On my saturday ride the speedo cable broke. So now a new one is on order. The rear sets feel better with the bolts being straight and the pivots points for all foot controls being lubed.

I am hoping by the end of this week I will have it all sorted out for her. Then I hope she feels more comfortable riding and trusting her ride!

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0016.jpg

Awesome job man! Is she pissed that you're using her washing machine as a parts stand though??? :rofl: But great job catching those problems! Can't wait to get home and work on the bikes!:beerchug:

Awesome job man! Is she pissed that you're using her washing machine as a parts stand though??? :rofl: But great job catching those problems! Can't wait to get home and work on the bikes!:beerchug:

Nope!:laugh: They are mine and for sale. I used them as a work bench for the time being.:lol: I put towels on them so they dont scratch the tops! Plus after a quick ride Sunday.... she is very happy!:please::thumbsup: Just need to finish tweaking on the carbs and some small other mods.

Nope!:laugh: They are mine and for sale. I used them as a work bench for the time being.:lol: I put towels on them so they dont scratch the tops! Plus after a quick ride Sunday.... she is very happy!:please::thumbsup: Just need to finish tweaking on the carbs and some small other mods.

Sweet deal man! Nice so see you takin' care of your girl and her ride! Mine drives "my" or as she says "her" gen II. I mod'd a few things but she doesn't let me tinker with it too much. She says that's what your "old man" Gen I is for...lol! Great to see there are more couples ridin' together! It's a blast ridin' with my "old" lady!

Sooo very clean:drool:

Looks great Tim, nice to see its insides match the outside.

May I ask how much you've got invested? If she ever wants to upgrade to a Busa Id think you could make out pretty well selling it:thumbsup:

At least it isn't the dining room table!!!!! :whistle: :laugh:

Great job!! :thumbsup:

Sooo very clean:drool:

Looks great Tim, nice to see its insides match the outside.

May I ask how much you've got invested? If she ever wants to upgrade to a Busa Id think you could make out pretty well selling it:thumbsup:

Well the bike was a $800 P.O.S.! We together put about $500 or so after we got it, to get it rideable. No, I spent $235 for the powder coating of parts and the ceramic coating on the headers. I spent another $400 or so on parts to fix the engine. It wasnt a cheap repair to say the least. But she cant afford a new bike right now, and now this one is safer to ride for a novice rider! I hope she rides it more then last year and save her money for a nicer bike in the future.

:rulez:As she said out of her own mouth..." Its paid for!...The insurance is cheap! I need to master it before I go up to the next sportier 600!..... and its unique to me! I doesnt look like anyone else's either !":rulez:

When I heard that it made all of the work worth it!!!:cheerleader:

I spent most of the day tuning the carbs and performed a "free" timing ignition advance mod. Now it is tuned and the timing advanced 4 degree's. It is a much peppier and happier bike! The plugs are starting to tan up nicely. I used a LM1 wide band O2 to monitor my changes!

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0002.jpg

SANY0003.jpg

SANY0006 1.jpg

This evening she got a set of Busa SS galfer brake lines installed. Now she has a tuned, fixed up, and modded Seca 2! I am done working on it less the broken speedo cable it needs!

And thanks everyone for the kind words!:thumbsup:

Well the bike was a $800 P.O.S.! We together put about $500 or so after we got it, to get it rideable. No, I spent $235 for the powder coating of parts and the ceramic coating on the headers. I spent another $400 or so on parts to fix the engine. It wasnt a cheap repair to say the least. But she cant afford a new bike right now, and now this one is safer to ride for a novice rider! I hope she rides it more then last year and save her money for a nicer bike in the future.

:rulez:As she said out of her own mouth..." Its paid for!...The insurance is cheap! I need to master it before I go up to the next sportier 600!..... and its unique to me! I doesnt look like anyone else's either !":rulez:

When I heard that it made all of the work worth it!!!
:cheerleader:
:beerchug: Money in the Bank

Back