Why do they still use spoke wheels on dirt bikes ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Think I've threaded this before but even with advanced search on myself I couldn't find it?

Just curious? Was watching the Supercross races in Atlanta tonight and noticed all bikes seemed to have the same black rim chrome spoke wheels on them.
Thought to myself why doesn't anyone have like five spoke mag wheels on their dirt bike? No BST carbon fiber dirt wheels? No Marchesini, Marvic or any others ?

Anybody ?

I know there's alot of punishment that goes into a rim that constantly jumps triples and stuff but still no mag wheels ?

Ps.......to anyone who saw the races. What a finish in the Supercross race with Stewart getting tangled up on last lap eh ?

mag wheels dont allow for any flex at all not to mention the weight issue. carbonfiber would just doesnt have the structural integrity to withstand the kind of punishment a spoked alloy does. Same for the marchesini and marvic both being just anodized aluminum, id have to see it to believe either one would weigh less than a spoked rim. Dirtbike rims are designed to be strong but allow for flex, light but durable.

i have purple excel rims on mine :) same brand as everyother racer out there.

mag wheels dont allow for any flex at all not to mention the weight issue. carbonfiber would just doesnt have the structural integrity to withstand the kind of punishment a spoked alloy does. Same for the marchesini and marvic both being just anodized aluminum, id have to see it to believe either one would weigh less than a spoked rim. Dirtbike rims are designed to be strong but allow for flex, light but durable.
What I'm hearing is no 20's spinnin? :laugh:

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

plus the mag wheels would get dinged up bad in the trails with all the rocks and stuff. cf would not like the rocks at all. I don't think they would last 5 minutes were I ride.

rims that flex? not sure bout that... hit a rock wrong and they all dented up

spokes allow for flex and are replaceable when they break. mags are heavy and not as durable. every wheel has its uses.

Weight, durability, not mention.. expense. It's a rough and tumble world dirt bikes live in, and a $2500 set of wheels that may get trashed on the first lap, or 2 miles from the truck on the first ride in the woods, and are totally none rebuildable, isn't economical to say the least.

Ok cool guys , thanks.
I figured it was an obv durability problem but also thought that with today's tech someone would have overcome those problems.
Guess not?

Back