New Old School for stable

Danfaster

Registered
Just bought an old 1973 900KZ Kawasaki Drag bike at a real good deal. Perfect for a buddy to drive or just as a back up bike. Bike frame totally made for drag, very light, rigid frame, sissy bar fuel cell and all the drag bike mods for the day and age. A friend bought it a couple of years ago off someone I also knew... small towns, you know how it is. It has an 1100 and something kit in it, small cams?, head work, most of the work was done by a local race shop back in 2006 or so ( Raceworks out of Dorchester, Ontario,Ca ) The shop built a few bikes for all out drag and ran their own Pro style bike. It's probably only an 11 sec bike, not sure of the hp of these old Kawy's. The deal was too good to turn down, and it will be a great back up bike or just for my buddy to ride when he comes to help me. It's kind of a cool looking old school bike with some Mikuni carbs and side pipe header, rear spoked wheel with a welded rim and 7" slick. Just trying to get it running right and get it set up for Spring.
Does anyone have any idea how much hp or how quick this type of setup would be? Not sure of the compression, but it has a bill for the copper head gaskets, so it is problably around 12:1 or so?
Nice and simple to play with, soo far?
Attached a couple of pics of the ol Kawy and also a pic of my Busa which would feel left out if I didn't.

DRAG BIKE 015.jpg

DRAG BIKE 006.jpg

Bike Pic Grand Bend.JPG

DRAG BIKE 008.jpg

I have no idea about the power question, but I do know that is a cool looking ride! Nice pipe too!

I'm gonna step out and say it will do better than 11 in the 1/4. Love it. I think it was the Z1 that was the badass from the factory but those kawi 900's were the bike to have in 73.

Thanks guys:) Anyone know kind of hp an old 900kz would put out with an 1100 kit ? The weather kind sucks right now, but once it's nice out I'm sure it'll see a few hole shots out in front of my buddies rural road :whistle: oops!:laugh: my inner voice. These drag bikes don't really like to turn right.. so turning around won't near as nice as driving the Busa at the track :beerchug:

Noice, i had a 76 Z1000 in 94, great bike, just no brakes and didn't like to turn...
wish i had of kept it, they're fetching some great $$$'s for them now.

My Bud had a KZ900 back in the early 80's and it had a 1035 kit(i think), smooth bores and the works. It ran 7:30 in the eighth and was about the fastest bike around.

Yep, thats a keeper, for at least this season...lol lots of fun. Just guessing but high 10's in the 1/4 & and as said, low 7's. Maybe 9.60's on the busa :) :)
Posted via Mobile Device

i started on a KZ750 back in 86...bought it for 450 bucks and beat the crap out of it...even blew the motor and it still would run!!

Im sure you could get that bike in the 9s. Why dont you give Mike Law at Raceworks Canada a call? Mike is a great guy and Im sure he could tell you the entire history of the bike. Im a friend of his and that shop has fabbed up some of the fastest motorcycles in Canada. Thats a great find !

Heres a pic of their Top Fuel bike, its parked awaiting a major sponsorship. Its a Kawasaki but we all love pics of FAST bikes ! Its been in the 6s over 200MPH.

raceworksburnout.jpg

raceworkspass.jpg

raceworksengine.jpg

Back